DVDVR Message Board

RAW is all that other stuff that wasn't Steph (07/23/18)

RIPPA

Announced for tonight (beyond the Steph announcement)

Bobby Lashley vs. Roman Reigns - Winner faces Brock at Summerslam

RAW Tag Titles - B-Team vs. Hardy/Wyatt

Finn Balor vs. Drew McIntyre

They are also teasing whether Ronda will honor her suspension

I like Roman fine and find Lashley about as interesting as a plain bagel but I'd much rather see Lashley against Brock than Roman for the umpteenth time.  Hopefully Braun cashes in afterwards and at the very least we never have to see Brock again.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Rick said:

Lashley is far worse. 

Result aside, that’s what really stood out to me tonight. His timing was off, his strikes visibly whiffed, and his holds had inches of space. Not asking for reckless stiffness or anything, but if he’s supposed to get over as a superior athlete and “legit” asskicker... well, he doesn’t. 

Roman is what he is. Doesn’t interest me, and yeah there’s plenty of other stuff to watch, so I’ll do that. 

Was hoping Finn or Drew would get a chance to stand out, at least, but.

• Like 1

It seemed with Cena, you knew he was winning but there was at least hope that something else would happen.

Roman just wins because that's life.

I want a "What Could You... Learn Us?" t-shirt. Roman will still win all the time but at least I'd have a funny shirt.

I'm not really bothered by Roman again since I really expect whoever wins to lose to Braun soon after. They should have given the spot to Finn.

Finn/Drew was nice while it lasted, and I dug the tag match after with Seth and Dolph added.

I like Owens challenge Braun for the briefcase. It is weird and amusing how Owens should by all rights be the face in this feud after what Braun did at Extreme Rules yet Braun is still the crowd's hero.

I thought for sure it'd be a double countout for a triple threat. Really wanted Lashley/Lesnar otherwise as a rare fresh big match left. Instead it's another rematch, on a show with two other rematches from the last PPV. Oh well, Braun cashes in and all my interest will be gone. 5 straight clean wins for the "underdog" B Team over Woken Matt now.

I especially liked how everyone tripped over themselves all night waiting for the cameras to be on them to talk about the all women PPV. WWE creative doesn't have a clue. All of that shit feels so forced and hackneyed and it winds up feeling patronizing really fast. I wish they didn't do shit like that.

Roman wins and challenges Brock at Summerslam. I'm going to laugh my fucking ass off if we get to the day of the show and once again Vince is like, "sorry pal, I don't think this is the right moment" and jobs Roman out again. The funny thing is that scenario is totally plausible.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RIShane said:

Bayley and Sasha are best friends again! Their singles PPV match recedes into the distance once again!

Sasha and Bayley are now Kevin Steen and El Generico during their run as a team. Steen could bully Generico and be a dick to him, but nobody else could. You can do a lot worse than borrowing from Steenerico, so I don't have an issue with this.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

It is weird and amusing how Owens should by all rights be the face in this feud after what Braun did at Extreme Rules yet Braun is still the crowd's hero.

1. WWE faces are always jerks

2. Owens is an even bigger jerk

Now attempted murder is a bit of a stretch but Braun could probably beat up Owens' kid and the crowd would still cheer him. 

Cena was better on the mic than Roman and yeah he's a better wrestler than Roman too.  Roman is good but John was Big Match John.  Roman doesn't have those Umaga type matches on his resume that makes everyone shut up and say "hey, this guy is awesome!"  

A lot of it goes back to creative as well.  They've done Roman no favors but for a long time they didn't do Cena any favors either.  Cena got stale as fuck but somehow worked through it and became interesting again.  That hasn't happened with Roman. 

Back around 2007 it was hard to make a case against Cena as the top guy too.  The roster wasn't as deep and talented,  he was clearly in the correct position even though a lot of it was boring or a mess creatively.  There are a lot of guys right now that Vince could go to but he keeps going back to Roman so here we are. 

I don't think I've ever loved another man the way I love Elias.

"I mean, I don't consider myself a vain man...but...but I just don't ever recall seeing a grosser collection of human beings than all of you."

How do you not have him host the Grammies?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I'm not really bothered by Roman again since I really expect whoever wins to lose to Braun soon after. They should have given the spot to Finn.

Finn/Drew was nice while it lasted, and I dug the tag match after with Seth and Dolph added.

I like Owens challenge Braun for the briefcase. It is weird and amusing how Owens should by all rights be the face in this feud after what Braun did at Extreme Rules yet Braun is still the crowd's hero.

I kind of love that Owens can so convincingly do "I'm genuinely terrified of this man" for weeks and then instantly and convincingly pivot to "Well now this man has actually pissed me off so I'm going to easily destroy him."  Owens is mesmerizing on the mic and his delusional psychotic character is just what is needed to make ADD WWE booking seem somehow logical.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

At least Impact is on a roll. Plus, New Japan. NXT is still great. Even Smackdown is good for the most part. Raw just happens to be the drizzling shits.

Why did I watch this crap? Oh yeah, Finn vs. Drew, and that was fun until they screwed it up. I might check back in another year or so.

BTW: Lashley flat out sucks.