DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: BROOKLYN IV - 8/18/2018

Dolfan in NYC

• RIPPA unlocked this topic

Imagine the pre show meeting setting up that finish.  Okay I am going to take forever to set up the knee.  Then I am going to hit the knee and fly into a speaker so my kneed smashing into it.  Then I am going to do a flip into something even harder and then crash into to the floor.  That is some Angry Birds shit right there.   No way that isn't going to hurt

And glad to know Mauro can determine a dislocated knee IN LESS THAN 5 FUCKING MINUTES  

• Like 1

The tag titles match was good, but not great or a classic as it will be made out to be. The War Raiders attacking UE from behind was awesome and unexpected.

Dream vs. EC3 was far better than it had any right to be and I thought that was mostly due to the Dream's charisma and personality. EC3 does nothing for me.

Like EC3, Cole does nothing for me -- is someone I don't get the hype about. With that said, I thought the match was alright, but again I wasn't blown away by it.

Shayna vs. Kairi was pretty good, but kicking out of 2 big top rope elbow drops was lame. The unexpected finish worked as it was unexpected and it frees Shayna from the title and allows her to team up with the MMA 4 Horsewomen vs. the WWE 4 Horsewomen at Evolution.

The title match was good, but a step down from their previous matches. Them booking the stipulations in reverse does hurts this feud. They should have had them escalating the violence in their matches to the point where Regal said he didn't want NXT to be involved in with them anymore and their feud ender could have been an unsanctioned match.

The tag match was my favorite of the night.  Great stuff from all guys involved.  I'm looking forward to the UE/WR feud.

I didn't care much about EC3/Dream.  There was nothing wrong with the match, I'm just not that invested in either guy.

Cole/Ricochet was fine with some impressive spots by Ricochet.  Cole is a decent wrestler, but he's one of those guys I'm only as interested in as who they're wrestling.

Women's match was solid.

Black's absence really hurt the main event.  It would have been a fine match in a vacuum, but three matches in a row between the same two guys with pretty much identical stipulations just made the whole thing redundant.  The finish was lame and I have no idea what they do with Johnny from here, aside from put him on another brand.

Any word on dark matches?

Riddle wearing a suit made me think of Angus Young.

• Like 1

Something no has mentioned on here that I read elsewhere and I agree with -- can someone at least not kickout of a finisher on a TakeOver card? O'Reilly kicking out of the diving knee into the burning hammer was the worse. Luckily the main was a LMS match as if not it would have featured 1 too many finisher kickouts.

Generally, I love wrestling that’s Too Much, but that main event... Gargano gets hit with half a dozen finishers, on things, through things, blasted with a brace and a chair... and loses because he tripped over a guy’s face. That’s harsh, I know, and there’s an element I like to it: He literally tried to do what Ciampa does—his move!—and it cost him. Blunt, broad storytelling, but I like that kind of thing. But not when combined with how overwrought and overscripted everything was. (And that table spot is one of more hilariously transparent spots you’ll ever see. The exposed floor would be a much harsher landing. I’m usually happy to suspend disbelief but the match had lost me, by that point.)

I also don’t see it with EC3, in ring, and Dream isn’t up to carrying anyone yet. For all that Takeovers get criticized for too perfect choreography that comes from careful practice, these guys wrestled like they’d never met. A lot of half speed super indie sequences.

Which stood out a lot more, given that the best PWG match in Brooklyn history followed it. The superkick spot was cool as hell, and also emblematic of the cutoff work Cole does best. The strike sequence got a little carried away, but oh well. 

Women’s match was my favorite of the night. Credibly violent without becoming a farce, great selling and babyface fire from Sane, and Baszler made her earn every ascendant moment. And ultimately, Shayna may be better now—and better than Kairi, even with the loss—but she still lacks experience, and can get caught. Kairi selling being physically and emotionally shattered during the post match helped too.

• Like 1

Riddle had flip flops on with the suit. Fucking perfect!

Still at the start of the main event but I thought the women's match was the best and my favourite followed closely by the tag. Kairi is one of the best sellers going today, has incredible emotion, and is the perfect underdog against Shayna's bully character. Awesome stuff and one of the best NXT women's matches ever in my opinion.

Dream/EC3 was brutal, maybe one of the worst NXT takeover matches. Dream is a great character and has all the promise in the world but he's got a long way to go in the ring. The dynamic in terms of face/heel was opposite of what it should've been too. The crowd somewhat turned on EC3 but didn't care enough to go all the way I guess. I am not digging NXT Ricochet either. Somehow his attention to details/character work got worse in NXT when that's the thing they're supposed to be great at pulling that out of indie talents. He looked slow (I guess he's coming off injury, right?) but did some weird things in terms of move sequences that didn't make sense. I did enjoy the crowd chanting 'NXT' after they did a Japanese strike exchange then Ricochet shortly thereafter hit Dragon Lee's apron-to-floor rana. Was a good match but nothing special imo. 

Can Gargano get called up to 205 Live yet? I know it's hypocritical coming from an Omega enthusiast but his hammy facials just kill me inside. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Something no has mentioned on here that I read elsewhere and I agree with -- can someone at least not kickout of a finisher on a TakeOver card? O'Reilly kicking out of the diving knee into the burning hammer was the worse and Shayna kicking out of two top rope elbow drops follows that up as the second worse finisher kick outs on the card for me. Luckily the main was a LMS match as if not it would have featured 1 too many finisher kickouts.

Didn't Kairi only hit one top rope elbow in addition to the second rope one earlier on? I agree that she probably shouldn't have hit it if she's not winning with it but I marked the fuck out for the nise Bret/Austin finish again because once Shayna kicked out and got a hold of her neck I thought it was GG 4 sure.

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Riddle had flip flops on with the suit. Fucking perfect! 

He was wearing an ugly yellow tie which is an indication he's already reached that John Cena and Roman Reigns ugly suit combination level. If anything, it just confirms he's gonna be a huge star.

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Velveteen Dream on the main roster ends up in a similar spot to Tyler Breeze.

Its fine if you think that, but he is so different skillset wise from Asuka/Bayley I'm not sure what the comparison meant, other than some banal "everything gets ruined". Personally I think he'd be more comparable to Elias, but its whatever.

1 minute ago, MapRef41N93W said:

The tag match tonight was my first time seeing Trent Seven. Was that a representative performance from him? I thought he looked remarkably slow and sloppy compared to the other guys.

He's not a great athlete and they've lately been having fun with him being relatively out of shape in six man tags. He's not at his best doing super indie, high paced matches. He's a very good, great even, storyteller and seller. Super smart worker that usually finds interesting ways to make up for his lack of athleticism. I recommend the previous encounters between these two teams. The NXT TV match from a month ago or so was better than this I thought and highlighted Trent's selling, even if the finish was half spoiled because WWE doesn't like to explain their tag cutoff rule to their audience for... reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

WWE doesn't like to explain their tag cutoff rule to their audience for... reasons.

This really stood out to me during the match tonight! I have no idea why WWE doesn't just acknowledge it. It would only help. There have to have been quite a few fans wondering why Seven didn't just get in there and break up the submission like wrestlers do in tag matches all the time.

I mean seriously, it's an important match rule that plays directly into dramatic finishes, and the announcers must be instructed specifically not to mention it. It's mind-boggling.

• Like 1

I hated the ended to the Gargano/Ciamapa. Gargano is starting to feel like Tommy Dreamer, the violence escalates and ultimately the win escapes him.

I hope Shayna gets the women's title back relatively quickly. I feel like her title reign had a lot of life left to it. I liked the finish, with Shayna esentially beating herself, but now I want to see Shayna come back more focused on beating Kairi as quickly as possible.

I loved the tag match. That was my favorite match of the night. The result was a foregone conclusion, but there were still a few times I was on the edge of my couch for a near fall, namely the burning hammer/knee drop combo.

I enjoyed Adam Cole/Ricochet a lot. I loved Cole constantly telling Ricochet he's not special throughout the match. 

Velveteen/EC3 was ok, nothing particularly memorable about it. 

6 minutes ago, MapRef41N93W said:

This really stood out to me during the match tonight! I have no idea why WWE doesn't just acknowledge it. It would only help. There have to have been quite a few fans wondering why Seven didn't just get in there and break up the submission like wrestlers do in tag matches all the time.

I mean seriously, it's an important match rule that plays directly into dramatic finishes, and the announcers must be instructed specifically not to mention it. It's mind-boggling.

What is their current policy on the tag rope?