DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] July 11, 2018 TV Show

Peck

Curious what you all thought of the Main. Being there live it was one of the better Tag matches I've ever seen in person. Told a great story and not only did all 4 guys sell the story perfectly but Drake's face during those final 60 seconds before the towel was fantastic also.

The other thing I'm curious about is they announced a Kairi/Candice/Cross/Belair 4-way next week to face Shayna for title, however, at the Taping....

Spoiler

Belair wasn't in the match(or at the Tapings) at all. Interested to see how they write her out.

Love all the stuff they are doing with the women. Kairi/Borne was a decent match. Candice going straight after Shayna was nice.

That tag titles match was fantastic and managed to surpass the already great match they had on the UK shows a decent bit. That is easily my no. 1 or 2 for NXT and WWE this year.

I thought the main was perfect old-school booking.  Loved it.  It's so much fun when you have two teams that are so great that you are happy to see either team win.  Mustache Mountain upsetting the champ was one of the feel-good moments of the year.  And Era getting them right back was one of the more emotional, with the faces having no other option then to throw in the towel.  Great storytelling.

I may have just now noticed this, but Bobby Fish walking around with the Dusty Cup, just so he has some kind of title to hold is a nice touch.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

I thought the main was perfect old-school booking.  Loved it.  It's so much fun when you have two teams that are so great that you are happy to see either team win.  Mustache Mountain upsetting the champ was one of the feel-good moments of the year.  And Era getting them right back was one of the more emotional, with the faces having no other option then to throw in the towel.  Great storytelling.

I may have just now noticed this, but Bobby Fish walking around with the Dusty Cup, just so he has some kind of title to hold is a nice touch.

I think that's the first time they had Fish with the trophy, as I recall thinking several times, "Poor bastard got hurt and now he's the only one without any gold!" So yes, definitely a nice touch.

The tag match was off the charts good, I had a horrible feeling that I knew how it was going to end when they started working the knee and I flashed back to the entrance of MM, both of whom came out wearing towels, which they've never done before. What can I say, after fifty years of watching this stuff you start to pick up on little clues like that... :-)

• Like 1

From the Black/Gargano clip... it must be freakin sweltering down there in Florida!

The tag match went on and on... and I didn't want it to end. Seven sold the hell out of that injury! Everyone involved was on their A-game and I don't even care that MM lost.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

The tag match was awesome, but the dueling chants were fucking awful. It went on forever and was ruining the flow. Cheer and boo whoever you want, but react to the action.

I don’t necessarily disagree with that but Jeremy Borash was literally walking through the crowd encouraging them to continue the chants. So I’m not sure you can blame the fans for that one.

10 hours ago, OSJ said:

I flashed back to the entrance of MM, both of whom came out wearing towels, which they've never done before. What can I say, after fifty years of watching this stuff you start to pick up on little clues like that... :-)

I feel super pedantic doing this, but both guys wearing towels during their entrance is something they do a lot. For a second I thought I was the crazy one, so I did a quick search on the Googs. They've been doing this on the regular since at least 2016.

Just making sure you don't go strolling around feeling like you're Sherlock Holmes. ;) 

Re: The duelling chants @Johnny Sorrow, I agree that it's a bit much and it's not my preference either. But it happens so frequently, I'm able to mostly tune it out. I'll still take enthusiastic (albeit annoyingly performative) engagement over apathy any day. 

55 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I feel super pedantic doing this, but both guys wearing towels during their entrance is something they do a lot. For a second I thought I was the crazy one, so I did a quick search on the Googs. They've been doing this on the regular since at least 2016.

Just making sure you don't go strolling around feeling like you're Sherlock Holmes. ;) 

Re: The duelling chants @Johnny Sorrow, I agree that it's a bit much and it's not my preference either. But it happens so frequently, I'm able to mostly tune it out. I'll still take enthusiastic (albeit annoyingly performative) engagement over apathy any day. 

You are right!!! So why did I never notice it before? Something about their entrance called my attention to the towels. Was it the camera work, did they wave them around more than usual? I don't know, but something clicked with me as I was watching the knee work that said "Bate is going to end it by throwing in the towel!" 

4 minutes ago, OSJ said:

You are right!!! So why did I never notice it before? Something about their entrance called my attention to the towels. Was it the camera work, did they wave them around more than usual? I don't know, but something clicked with me as I was watching the knee work that said "Bate is going to end it by throwing in the towel!" 

I'm not sure if they did anything out of the ordinary. But I'm happy to have a reason to watch it again. 

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'm not sure if they did anything out of the ordinary. But I'm happy to have a reason to watch it again. 

Likewise.

My only issue is that right before the stretch that led to the finish Bate got in to break up Strong's Kondo Clutch. Why wouldn't he break up the submissions by O'Reilly? I mean I get the throw back to faces not interfering or only having a limited number of saves and it sold the story, but it is so inconsistent to any other tag match filled with partner saves including this match.

The dueling chants were insufferable and seemingly only broken up so the fans could do their clever 2 sweet bit. 

I feel like I remember either DIY or Enzo/Cass said in a podcast that they, at least theoretically enforce the “only one save per team/partner” rule in NXT, so I assume that was it. But yeah, that was really awkward even if that was the reason. They could have at least covered/explained on commentary.

• Like 1

Tyler Bate is 21

Honestly think he has a Leo Messi level of preternatural skill and coordination, there is no ceiling to how good he can get beyond injury and big companies' willingness to use a guy of his size effectively

Agree that the neverending chants made it a bit hard to feel any peaks and troughs in the crowd energy, and not sure they should encourage their crowds to relentlessly cheer cheating dick heels

Enjoyed Kairi's nasty bridging footlock thing