DVDVR Message Board

Introduce yourself (or don't)

Doug_Tilley

Hey, good to see you around again.  I'm Zach, lurked here in the green board days and weirdly started posting regularly as Cliff Hanger in the very brief period between the Fruitopia hack and Eddy's death.  I'm legally blind, work for the US Treasury dept, and watch wrestling maybe once every six months these days and MMA about as often, but would rather talk about comic books and video games and TV here than on any website primarily dedicated to those things.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2018 at 8:45 PM, Betsy Zeidler said:

Oh goodness, you were BruceDickinsonFan?  That brings back memories!

Yup. I used that name on the Fire Pro Club forums too

The Artist Formerly Known as "Manos" sez:

"And John is still around! And if you want to hear me talk about Burt Ward and Linnea Quigley, you gotta buy the deluxe Blu-Ray with the commentary. We all got to make a living. ;)"

That there is a deluxe Blu-Ray of Robot Ninja is strangely comforting. I suppose that I may be the only poster to have been kissed on the cheek by both Linnea Quigley and Brinke Stevens (I only mention that because it drives my bro JT into a paroxysm of jealous rage.)

• Like 1

I'm Ramsey. I've been around for years. I was J.R. on the old green monster. I've been a lurker since the 90's but will go on jags where I get "chatty." I'm a 45 year old radio DJ, musician, and stand up comedian. I'm also married and have two kids. I like the wrasslin'.

I'm Paul from England. I have Cerebral Palsy. Depression also. I first joined the board in September 2005. I was The Crippler but had to change that name to The Natural. I've stayed ever since enjoying my time here. Best message board on the 'net. Lifelong fan of Batman and Wrestling.

• Like 3

On 7/9/2018 at 11:52 AM, Doug_Tilley said:

And I really appreciate everyone introducing themselves. Where did we end up landing on whether Mark Henry was the lost great worker of the early 2000s?

Thanks for asking.

1.) He is, though the Hall of Pain run meant that he was at least somewhat found. Given the overall community's workfate fetish which blinds them to the value of softer skills, he still doesn't get enough credit for his earlier stuff (you know, like the 03 match vs Goldberg). What I say below, however, will be more of a holistic overview of Henry as a whole.

2.) It's mainly due to his use of negative space, meaning what he does between executing and taking moves. While so many others of his generation and the generation that followed rush from one spot to the next to get all their stuff in, Henry's maybe the best of this century in reacting to action. He'll jaw with the ref, interact with the crowd, throw derision at his opponent, portray frustration over a two-count, thereby overlaying a level of meaning and resonance to pretty much everything that happens in his matches that makes them richer and weightier than that of his peers.

3.) Add in the fact that his offense is as credible as anyone's, that he's one of the best ever at knowing exactly how much to give within the specific point of the match to make his opponent look good while protecting himself and the worth of his presence, and the almost superhuman strength and he brings a lot to the table. 

4.) Easily better than Shawn Michaels who actually has a number of similar tools/understanding but either uses them to hamper his opponent, in hissy fits of rage, or simply doesn't have the believable acting chops to pull off what he's trying to do. I'll wholly admit that, in some of Shawn's Rockers work, his failings in the areas where Henry has success are probably due to a lack of size-based privilege. Henry's able to have a level of easy confidence where Shawn was forced into early insecurity. 

• Like 4

I'm Nick from Maryland and for the longest time was NickMD, wasn't until last year that I switched over to NikoBaltimore.  I started in '02 when it was the green board of doom (I still miss that theme) and certainly remember seeing you around.  I was an idiot back then with some stupid takes but somehow only managed to be suspended for a brief period.  Thankfully I'm not the idiot I was and am just abiding like The Dude.  I mainly stick with the wrestling forums but the other areas have some cool shit as well.  I tried a couple other boards but there's something about this place that makes me feel almost at home in the land of wrestling message boards.

Oh, and as for what I do IT phone support for hospitals and their satellite locations.  Monotonous at times and fucking rage-inducing at others but it pays the bills and allows me to pay for the wrestling I check out.

• Like 1

Hi. Some things about me...

-My username is a weird result of my second grade teacher making fun of my bad handwriting, saying my last name looked like Beech27 rather than what it is--I didn't really get it at the time and still don't, but I've since used it at various times as a "name", including on the pre-crash board, where I mostly stuck to the puro forums. The end-of-year top 20 lists there were really formative in discovering/defining what I like in wrestling, and developing my ability to articulate it; I still write too-long posts about matches in the Japan folder.

-My wrestling fandom is a bit weird, I think, in that we didn't have cable growing up, so I didn't really watch until college. I basically dove right into the ROH and NOAH halcyon years, though I also had a lot of affection for weird Japanese indie stuff and NJPW's struggles. I've worked back and out from there to expand my vocabulary. Again, this board helped.

-I also really like fantasy novels, distance running, and black metal, because I'm a sucker for weird, niche interests. (Though I have the very typical American sports obsessions too.) This is my only message board, however, because black metal fandom is gross, Let's Run is a trash fire, and r/fantasy isn't much better.

-I proofread/copyedit technical, academic, and scientific writing in order to pay for good coffee and a roof.

• Like 3

I've been here off and on since the green board days but I can't recall what my old username was.  Which is probably for the best; I'm not sure I'd want to see the dumb shit I wrote back then.

I haven't watched wrestling regularly in 15 years; I'm mostly just here to chat about video games and post pictures of my cats.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'm Paul from England. I have Cerebral Palsy. Depression also. I first joined the board in September 2005. I was The Crippler but had to change that name to The Natural. I've stayed ever since enjoying my time here. Best message board on the 'net. Lifelong fan of Batman and Wrestling.

We need a comic devoted to Batman wrestling.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I've been here off and on since the green board days but I can't recall what my old username was.  Which is probably for the best; I'm not sure I'd want to see the dumb shit I wrote back then.

I haven't watched wrestling regularly in 15 years; I'm mostly just here to chat about video games and post pictures of my cats.

Train your cats to play video games and we'll have something.

On 7/8/2018 at 4:40 PM, RIPPA said:

I don't think this board could handle a "Who Has the Most Mundane Life?" challenge

The other day, I got excited when I posted a transaction that got an internal document number that was an even multiple of a thousand.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

The other day, I got excited when I posted a transaction that got an internal document number that was an even multiple of a thousand.

As someone who generates POs for a living this is an extremely relatable thrill.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

As someone who generates POs for a living this is an extremely relatable thrill.

I remember getting a rush working on a trouble ticket that was an even million number (2,000,000).

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

Wow, biggest thrill of that type I ever got was a car hitting 100,000 miles. Epic.

I remember being pissed that I missed the dial turn on the odometer on a round number like that.  I forget if it was 50,000 or 100,000 or what but I caught it at...100,000.1.  Something like that.  And I was actively watching for it but, ya know, got distracted by actually driving and stuff.

• Like 1

Well, shit. Let’s take ‘er for a spin.

I’m Rob. I was here since at least ‘05, as some variation of Super Ae (Boredoms reference), and once the old boards took a shit I became Super Ape on the suggestion of @Brian Fowler and @Pete.

Proud son of the City of Brotherly Shove who has mood swings connected to the ongoings of the local sports teams. These days I’m a wrestling agnostic, not having given Vince and company a dime in over a decade, and not really having the time to sit down and watch streaming services.

Beyond that, I like Japanese MMA (RIP PRIDE), baseball, and retro video games. You can find me on Twitter at GettinMelt, where I relentlessly lambast Dolph Ziggler, unearth the lost scrolls of the One True Religion of Inokiism, and spam the Goldberg derp face you see in my avatar here.

• Like 2

Mikey, aka red.

38 in a week and a half. grey hairs are supposed to make you distinguished, dont they? just not on the eyebrows....or balls.

Been around here since the mid 00's, I believe, in one form or another. Was recommended this site from another. 

Father to a 5 year old girl who can throws a pretty decent dropkick, and who loves her some new day (daddy the big man is funny....you have no idea sweetie), husband to a scientist who just about puts up with my weird past-time of viewing men in pants hit each other very hard (why dont you train for that, babe, get in shape....round IS a shape darling, and i have a fear of people hurting me)

Started a new job recently so havent been posting here for a wee while. tend to do long story type this is my life, venting posts. 

Welcome back!

• Like 3

@ryan 

just going to cover them in strawberry jam, stand next to an anthill in nought but a kilt and a string vest, screaming down the anthill their mothers spent evenings up against walls with sailors. that might do the trick.