DVDVR Message Board

UFC 226: Miočić vs. Cormier (7/7/2018) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Dha7HVnWAAAUkbx.jpg?1530891842

UFC 226: Miočić vs. Cormier 
July 7, 2018
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

UFC Heavyweight Championship: Stipe Miočić (242.5) © vs. Daniel Cormier (246) (fourth defense) - Cormier, KO (punches), R1 (4:33)
Francis Ngannou (253) vs. Derrick Lewis (264.5) - Lewis, DEC (unanimous)
Paul Felder (170) vs. Mike Perry (170.5) - Perry, DEC (split)
Michael Chiesa (157.5)* vs. Anthony Pettis (156) - Pettis, SUB (triangle armbar), R2 (0:52)
Gökhan Saki (206) vs. Khalil Rountree (205) - Rountree, KO (punch), R1 (1:36)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Uriah Hall (185.5) vs. Paulo Henrique Costa (185.5) - Costa, TKO (strikes), R2 (3:38)
Raphael Assunção (136) vs. Rob Font (135.5) - Assunção, DEC (unanimous)
Landon Vannata (156) vs. Drakkar Klose (156) - Klose, DEC (unanimous)
Curtis Millender (170.5) vs. Max Griffin (170.5) - Millender, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Dan Hooker (155.5) vs. Gilbert Burns (155.5) - Hooker, KO (punch), R1 (2:28)
Jamie Moyle (116) vs. Emily Whitmire (116) - Whitmire, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Paulo Henrique Costa
Performance of the Night: Khalil Rountree
Performance of the Night: Anthony Pettis
Performance of the Night: Daniel Cormier

Attendance: 17,464
Gate: $5.7 million
Buyrate: 380,000

Cancelled Fights:
Yancy Medeiros vs. Mike Perry - Injury to Medeiros (Broken Rib)
Max Holloway vs. Brian Ortega - Injury to Holloway (Concussion Like Symptoms)

Saki vs. Rountree for FOTN. Both will gas after one round. I wonder how patient Ngannou will be... What a fun looking card. Gilbert Burns is on a random fight pass bout. I like that. I'm looking forward to the co-main than the main tbh. Felder vs. the husk of Mike Perry will be gong show too. God damn, lots of goodness here.

• Like 1

Mike Perry actually went to a real MMA gym/team (JacksonWink) for this one. It will also be interesting to see how he adjusts after weeks of training for a southpaw and then going back to an orthodox opponent. Although, one would assume it is easier adjusting to that than going from an orthodox opponent to a southpaw.

What a stacked card!  The winner of Holloway / Ortega will be the FANS~! 

Please kill DC, Stipe.

I am really tired of seeing Mike Perry on my television.  I hope Felder wins and sends Perry packing to Bellator or something.

I've been such a fan of DC and Stipe for so long now. They're arguably my two favorite fighters. I probably have been more of a Stipe fan as of late though, so I guess that's who I'm going with.

All I know is I'm glad I'm getting my Klonopin refilled today.

On 7/2/2018 at 1:51 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Mike Perry actually went to a real MMA gym/team (JacksonWink) for this one. It will also be interesting to see how he adjusts after weeks of training for a southpaw and then going back to an orthodox opponent. Although, one would assume it is easier adjusting to that than going from an orthodox opponent to a southpaw.

Hard to say what a fighter will pick up working with JacksonWink, they're certainly capable of helping the highest level of fighter close up or camouflage any holes in their game, which is quite a contrast from their bread and butter, which is unleashing belligerent little shits on the Albuquerque metro area to work as bouncers/doormen at the local watering holes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm worried that Max Holloway's chin is starting to catch up with him.  He's been in the cage with some of the biggest hitters in the division and never wavered, but just because he isn't getting knocked out doesn't mean those punches weren't doing real damage.  Aldo hit him with some of the hardest shots I've ever seen anyone take, and he walked through them.  Aldo was clearly trying to end both fights before he got drug into the deep end and drowned by Holloway's pace.  He also took a lot of damage from McGregor, and elected to have a slugfest with Jeremey Stephens, who are both crazy power punchers.  That kind of damage is going to take its toll eventually, and I just hope his career isn't cut short at such a young age.  

38 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I'm worried that Max Holloway's chin is starting to catch up with him.  He's been in the cage with some of the biggest hitters in the division and never wavered, but just because he isn't getting knocked out doesn't mean those punches weren't doing real damage.  Aldo hit him with some of the hardest shots I've ever seen anyone take, and he walked through them.  Aldo was clearly trying to end both fights before he got drug into the deep end and drowned by Holloway's pace.  He also took a lot of damage from McGregor, and elected to have a slugfest with Jeremey Stephens, who are both crazy power punchers.  That kind of damage is going to take its toll eventually, and I just hope his career isn't cut short at such a young age.  

I really hope it's not a TJ Grant situation. In the case of a Veronica Rothenhausler, a rare female prospect at 145, the concussion issue had to have taken place in the gym because she was smoking people in under 60 seconds in the few amateur and pro fights she did have.

I vividly remember sprewellrimz texting me and going insane about Tyrone Spong knocking out Luiz Cane out cold at the early incarnation of the Blackzilians gym. Cane fought like a month later on that first ever PPV card in Brazil. IIRC he looked very much like a dude who wasn't all there because his punch resistance was nil in that fight.

I'm worried about these guys particularly at the smaller gyms still having that Tuesday night at Miletich Fighting Systems mentality where Drew McFedries and Robbie Lawler are sleeping people in sparring. Either that or the heyday of Chute Boxe when Wand and Shogun are destroying each other's brain cells on a daily basis. You can't be doing that anymore especially since the talent level of the people you're training with is much better. Hawaii isn't cranking out the best of the best, but the talent is way better than the SuperBrawl and Rumble on the Rock days. It's now to the point where some of the prospects are leaving and going to the lower 48 to get to the next level. The fact that Holloway's team doesn't know how he got the concussion is more concerning.

47 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm worried about these guys particularly at the smaller gyms still having that Tuesday night at Miletich Fighting Systems mentality where Drew McFedries and Robbie Lawler are sleeping people in sparring. Either that or the heyday of Chute Boxe when Wand and Shogun are destroying each other's brain cells on a daily basis. You can't be doing that anymore especially since the talent level of the people you're training with is much better. Hawaii isn't cranking out the best of the best, but the talent is way better than the SuperBrawl and Rumble on the Rock days. It's now to the point where some of the prospects are leaving and going to the lower 48 to get to the next level. The fact that Holloway's team doesn't know how he got the concussion is more concerning.

Not knowing how he got a concussion is really troubling, because it probably means that means it wasn't one big shot he took.  His entire style has been built upon his crazy durability, which is cool while it lasts, but it will all come crashing down if it fails.

Given where DC and Derrick Lewis are from respectively, I'm betting in the right era, these dudes would be headlining the Superdome in a Tuxedo match, a Ghetto Street Fight, or some shit. They missed their calling in life.

• Like 5

Everyone made weight at the early weigh ins for this show with the single exception being Chiesa missing weight and surprisingly not Anthony Pettis. 

Cormier came in heavier for the title fight than the guy who has been at HW his entire career.

Just like Marreta did yesterday, Alexander Volkov weighed in officially to become the backup guy for tomorrow night.