DVDVR Message Board

How I Met Your Mother Season 9

RandomAct

That was such a devestating scene. The episode was so uneventful too...yet it wasn't. It might be one of the best written episodes of HIMYM simply for how they lure you in so innocently and then knock you down.

That was such a devestating scene. The episode was so uneventful too...yet it wasn't. It might be one of the best written episodes of HIMYM simply for how they lure you in so innocently and then knock you down.

The show is great at that, though.  The episode where Marshall's dad dies is a great example. To a lesser extent, when Lily leaves for SF too.

Oh, I totally agree.

The wonder of this was all the clues they put in there with The Mother and Ted talking and the fact that it still was such a shock. With his dad dying, it was a shock, but the numbers made it pretty clear something was happening. With Lily, they'd been fighting all episode so it was a shock, but not too much.

This time though, I mean, listening to them talking the whole episode really, really foreshadows it, but they distract you so much in the episode with a so-so story and callbacks to all these great past memories of the show....and then they do it with just that damn look.

Seriously, well done. I think Marshall's father was more devestating, but this was so subtle throughout the whole episode and they way they delivered it....GOD!

• 2 weeks later...

LOVED tonight's episode, but I hate how bipolar they are about Ted/Robin.  I thought they tied that up weeks ago, then came back to it, and seemingly tied it up AGAIN, but this time it felt like a major cop out.  It's been said before, but they have built the whole series around Ted and Robin, and they clearly aren't getting together.

With that said, I did love how they finally made her fully trust Barney at the end.  Had plenty of feels again.

• Like 1

LOVED tonight's episode, but I hate how bipolar they are about Ted/Robin.  I thought they tied that up weeks ago, then came back to it, and seemingly tied it up AGAIN, but this time it felt like a major cop out.  It's been said before, but they have built the whole series around Ted and Robin, and they clearly aren't getting together.

With that said, I did love how they finally made her fully trust Barney at the end.  Had plenty of feels again.

I thought the resolution last time was lame and this time was effective. 

"Nobody asked you Patrice" is perhaps the best line of the whole show.

Seriously though, this was a very lackluster episode for me. They've gone to the Ted-Robin well WAYYYY too much over the past three seasons to where it's just plain ridiculous at this point. Some good points here and there, but overall, this episode didn't do it for me.

Really anticipating Monday's hour long finale though. I think this season's been a mixed bag overall, but have confidence that the creators and writers will pull of the show's ending perfectly.

Anyone see Robin's sister in the audience?  She was in an earlier episode, but I didn't see her at the cermony.  For a season with as many callbacks as this does, seems weird to me to not have her sister at the cermony.

"Nobody asked you Patrice" is perhaps the best line of the whole show.

Seriously though, this was a very lackluster episode for me. They've gone to the Ted-Robin well WAYYYY too much over the past three seasons to where it's just plain ridiculous at this point. Some good points here and there, but overall, this episode didn't do it for me.

Really anticipating Monday's hour long finale though. I think this season's been a mixed bag overall, but have confidence that the creators and writers will pull of the show's ending perfectly.

Yeah, I watched the last two eps back to back and didn't like much aside from older Ted's wistful end-of-episode voiceovers and the "where are they now" montage of supporting characters.

Wife and I still think Ted-Robin together makes perfect sense.  One of the things that frustrates me about them going to that particular well so many times is that they've never come up with a compelling reason why Ted and Robin can't work as a couple.  It's feels like you're watching the characters make the same bad choices over and over.  My wife jokes that Robin-Barney work as a couple until Robin goes into therapy and gets her issues under control.  Then she has her "OMG! What have I done?" moment.

I hope the writers pull it together for the finale.  There's a lot of this season that I've hated, from shrill Lily to Marshall's neverending road trip to generally unfunny episodes.  I kinda wish they had introduced the mother earlier so they could develop her as a character.

Barney/Robin is extremely forced,  It always has been at least to me.  It's always come off to me as just a way to evolve Barney's character, but they could have done that with Quinn or Nora.  Like I said earlier, the show has been built around Ted/Robin for so long, more than it's been built around Ted meeting "the Mother".  It makes almost no sense in retrospect.

• Like 1

Indeed. His kids have been sitting there listening to their dad basically tell them that for eight and a half years Robin was the love of his life and that she's the one who got away. Oh, but then he met their mom when Robin was marrying someone other than him when he was moving to Chicago basically the next day so he didn't have to be around her and not have her. I mean, this is a terrible story. He's telling them their mom is a consolation prize. He obviously still has a thing for Robin if this is the story he's telling them.

• Like 1

I think some of the issue is that Ted's character development hasn't put him to a point where he gets over Robin so much as it puts him to a point where he could actually make it work in the ways that he couldn't in season 1.

• Like 2

God - I watch three shows all week and of course they are all on at 8 pm on a Monday night.

I am thinking I have to punt the first hour of RAW tonight

God - I watch three shows all week and of course they are all on at 8 pm on a Monday night.

I am thinking I have to punt the first hour of RAW tonight

I am DVRing Hour one of RAW for the finale. I'll watch the rest of RAW as it airs and then just fast forward through the first hour if I feel it's important.

It being RAW. All of the highlights will be replayed 20 times.

I have to figure out if my DVR does multiple shows - because we tape the Voice (that is my only reason i am not taping Raw)

I am hoping for a 30 minute talking section - then I wont feel so bad