DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SUMMER 2018

Dolfan in NYC

Guest Edwin
2 hours ago, sabremike said:

Think it's the first part for sure. Fans are starting to see them for what they are: overpriced junk. Pay a fraction of that and support your local MLS or USL side instead.

Paying a fraction of that to support your local MLS or USL side instead should also be considered "overpriced junk."

Seriously, I've been to several Orlando City games and have watched a bunch on TV and man are those MLS games rough 90 minutes to sit through.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Paying a fraction of that to support your local MLS or USL side instead should also be considered "overpriced junk."

Seriously, I've been to several Orlando City games and have watched a bunch on TV and man are those MLS games rough 90 minutes to sit through.

There's the first problem: Orlando City are among the worst teams in the entire league. Also I've seen plenty of amazing MLS games (one actually took place last night in LA if you were paying attention) and I've seen plenty of godawful games from England, Spain, Germany ect. My seat at Red Bull Arena (which is as nice a soccer venue as you will find anywhere) is a bargain at $20 a match. And the whole thing about the quality of say the English top flight and the idea that's the only soccer worth supporting is hysterical when the vast majority of people in England support teams that are much worse than MLS like Leyton Orient, Bury, Shrewsbury, Notts County ect. That's because there's something special about going to matches and meeting up with people who are almost a second family like the ESC is for me. And sitting in front of a TV won't create the type of memories like the away trip I just took to DC where everyone who went will remember it forever.

And in other news I am among the first to renew my Red Bulls tickets for 2019. The total cost of my entire season plan went up a whopping $12. The season ticket holder gift is a pair of Adidas sneakers with a team design that are only available for STH's. I think this is a perk of Adidas being among the league's biggest sponsors.

Dear God please kill me. As one of the people who survived the horror of the 2009 Red Bulls season I can say with 100% certainty the only worse coach they could possibly hire is Ben Olsen. Fuck JCO and his fucking notebook.

Saw on Twitter Jurgen Klopp posed with a "Save The Crew" scarf. Hate the vermin but he totally has my respect after that, pure class guy.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:04 PM, ChesterCopperpot said:

So it's like when Spurs replaced the departed Kyle Walker with the Academy kid Kyle Walker-Peters. But without the Peters.

• Haha 1

Guest Edwin
On 7/27/2018 at 4:53 PM, sabremike said:

There's the first problem: Orlando City are among the worst teams in the entire league. Also I've seen plenty of amazing MLS games (one actually took place last night in LA if you were paying attention) and I've seen plenty of godawful games from England, Spain, Germany ect. My seat at Red Bull Arena (which is as nice a soccer venue as you will find anywhere) is a bargain at $20 a match. And the whole thing about the quality of say the English top flight and the idea that's the only soccer worth supporting is hysterical when the vast majority of people in England support teams that are much worse than MLS like Leyton Orient, Bury, Shrewsbury, Notts County ect. That's because there's something special about going to matches and meeting up with people who are almost a second family like the ESC is for me. And sitting in front of a TV won't create the type of memories like the away trip I just took to DC where everyone who went will remember it forever.

No doubt Orlando City are horrible and ironic enough they have some of the expensive ticket prices in the league. There's plenty of games from the top European leagues I would say are horrible (I'm a Colchonero, so I would know as they are one of the most boring teams to watch in the world, but they probably have the best defense in the world), but the level of defense, namely in MLS (Liga MX, too) is atrocious. Every time I watch an MLS game, it's infuriating seeing the defenders just walk around and barely put any pressure on the attackers and seeing attackers miss shots on goal at pinpoint range.

I don't watch English football; I just follow LaLiga and Serie A and I'll watch some Ligue 1 every so often, but I'd say the level in Primera División, Segunda División (for the most part), Serie A and Ligue 1 is far better than that of MLS.

The live experience atmosphere is pretty cool though.

Edit: Going back to the ICC pre-season friendlies, yeah, the ticket prices are ridiculous and the games are pretty bad for the most part as expected. I remember they were charging over $400 for a lot of the seats for el Clásico in Miami last year. I laughed when I saw the ticket prices. No one I'd pay that much for a pre-season friendly.

I think, roughly, I would rank MLS somewhere between 15th and 20th when ranking the world leagues. Which is pretty impressive for a league only 25 or so years old.

But I admittedly only actively watch the EPL, Champions league and some Segunda when Oviedo is on an easily available platform. But still read up on the other big 3/4 European Leagues. 

• Like 1

Guest Edwin
2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think, roughly, I would rank MLS somewhere between 15th and 20th when ranking the world leagues. Which is pretty impressive for a league only 25 or so years old.

But I admittedly only actively watch the EPL, Champions league and some Segunda when Oviedo is on an easily available platform. But still read up on the other big 3/4 European Leagues. 

Aside from the occasional big promotion playoff final they air on beIN, is there any other channel for these in the US? I used to follow the league closer seasons ago when Movistar + didn't Geo-block content.

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

But I admittedly only actively watch the EPL, Champions league and some Segunda when Oviedo is on an easily available platform. 

Copa90 did an awesome documentary on the Real Ovideo/Sporting Gijon derby a few months back.

6 hours ago, cubbymark said:

Copa90 did an awesome documentary on the Real Ovideo/Sporting Gijon derby a few months back.

Yeah, that series is really good. Some of those derbies are downright scary.

• Like 1

We stopped a couple of years ago. I won the last two or three (can't remember), because I was the only person who'd update their team throughout the season. Nobody else could be bothered... and then we stopped being bothered starting teams as well.

I watch a fair amount of Europa League (which I quite enjoy, it's a wonderful goofy blender of random match ups), and I'd say it would be really interesting to see MLS teams up against "Europa League teams that aren't just teams that got knocked out of Champion's League getting kicked back some more TV money". LA Galaxy vs. Genk, Toronto vs. Rosenborg, let's get crazy.

• Like 1