DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SUMMER 2018

Dolfan in NYC

I used to watch Brazil and Uruguay replays at night when Gol TV was still a thing here in Canada but since that died I've basically been Premier League and major Euro tournaments as the only stuff I have access to. 

That network was too good to be true. It never really recovered from them losing the Bundesliga rights.

• Like 1

Mesut Özil announced his retirement from Germany's International team. And things went from ugly to horrific. 

He caused a major shitstorm after a PR meeting with Turkey's prime minister this spring. The German FA, outside of maybe manager Loew, did a horrible job of handling the whole situation. The FA president even tried to blame the disastrous campaign on the scandal (and on Özil). 

Doesn't really bode well for the much needed rebuild of our national squad. 

• Like 1

Guest Edwin
12 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Does anyone watch South America here? I catch a lot of Ecuadorian, Venezuelan, Brasilerao, Superliga and the occasional Urigisyatch through my fubo subscription... Just don't have anyone to talk to about them. :)

I used to watch the Primera Division Argentina before it was named the Superliga Argentina, the Brasileirão and the Primera Division Uruguaya and some Liga MX too.

I used to watch the big Argentine clubs: Boca, River, Racing, Independiente and San Lorenzo, the top Brazilain clubs: Santos, Corinthians, Sao Paulo, Flamengo and Palmeiras, the 2 big Uruguayan clubs: Peñarol and Nacional and Tigres from Liga MX.

I haven't watched them in a while as I prefer watching football during the morning which is when LaLiga, Serie A and Ligue 1 are on on beIN SPORTS (don't watch the Premier League).

Copa Libertadores is the best. Loved the drama and chaos of the tournament and how clubs would take every little advantage possible to get an upper hand before a game.

Copa Sudamericana was fun too.

Of course the Recopa Sudamericana is worth a mention.

Copa Libertadores is basically the South American Champions League, Copa Sudamericana the Europa League and Recopa is the UEFA Supercup.11

My understanding is she was old AF anyway and probably not going to make the '19 US team regardless, but... I feel like being petty.  And besides, this tea is delicious.

??

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, cubbymark said:

Thierry Henry to manage Aston Villa.

Aston Villa might have had the biggest swing of Fortune in a week's span in history. They went from being on deaths door of bankruptcy to having one of the richest ownership partnerships in the world - in a matter of a weekend. 

That said - Henry is in over his head and Bruce deserved more.

22 hours ago, cubbymark said:

Thierry Henry to manage Aston Villa.

Metro legend, wish him nothing but success. Wish I could post the gif of him turning to the South Ward and pointing to the MetroStars inspired armband he personally had created after a goal. As I said: Metro legend.

Happy #HateDCDay everyone!!!!!! Brilliant job they did designing a stadium with no parking whatsoever. Seriously they told us to use ParkingSpot to get a spot for our bus. Utilizing the lots the Nats use would just be too difficult to do, particularly with them being on the road. And the digital ticketing in what has turned out to be a dead zone for phones should be fun, not to mention forcing everyone to bring their phones with them so they have them in a downpour and they can possibly get fucked up by all the rain.

23 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Are they keeping the same number for him? Hell, they're down to the third division now... I completely get the need to save money on making new jerseys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BWP, GOAT!!!! That celebration was epic!!! And DC may have done the impossible: build a stadium worse than RFK. The whole place is just one giant fuck up.

12 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm watching the International Champions Cup and the electricity in the building couldn't power a toothbrush. 

Quote of the year, well done!!!

On 7/26/2018 at 12:22 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm watching the International Champions Cup and the electricity in the building couldn't power a toothbrush. 

I wonder if the novelty has worn off or it’s just because many of the World Cup players aren’t available. 

13 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if the novelty has worn off or it’s just because many of the World Cup players aren’t available. 

Think it's the first part for sure. Fans are starting to see them for what they are: overpriced junk. Pay a fraction of that and support your local MLS or USL side instead.