DVDVR Message Board

UFC 225: Whittaker vs. Romero II (6/9/2018) - Chicago, IL (United Center)

Elsalvajeloco

23 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Michael Bisping practically implied that Punk should retire with pride. It was the nicest way for somebody to say "You fucking suck! Retire, man!"  EDIT : And just now Dana White suggested that it's time for him to hang it up which I agree with

But honest question here. How many great /outstanding fights in the Fight Pass and FS1 shows should have been on the PPV? I feel Punk's fight denied the chance for a few folks to make better PPV money because of his contract.

He has PPV points. I doubt anyone else (maybe Overeem) on the prelims does so it wouldn't have mattered anyway. 

• Thanks 1

So who goes to Pro Wrestling first - Jackson or Punk?

Holly Holm's lost 3 title fights in a row, and indeed on points fairly decisively to Shevchenko. But crucially she has not lost to Nunes. And she's still No. 2 ranked in the Bantamweight division - with Nunes looking to Featherweight, and Shevchenko to Flyweight. She's still liked, respected, American, and a name people know. A decent win or two in 2018 and she probably gets one more shot no problem.

Yup, she's practically doing Christian's gimmick at this point.

Having just watched Dana White's press conference, Punk probably has a better chance of getting another UFC match, so I'll say Jackson.

This may be the last UFC PPV i watch.  I don't follow MMA at all and have only bought - or watched - two PPV's - the two cards Punk has fought on.  I only recognized one or two names on the entire card (Holm and Covington) and I couldn't have told you much of anything about either. Actually, until last night,  I thought Holly Holm and Cris Cyborg were the same person.  I'm still not clear if "Cyborg" is her actual name, a nickname, or what?

Anyhoo, I was mostly bored.  The main event was decent enough.  Nothing else grabbed me.  I give Punk credit for trying this and am fine if he somehow continues, even if he has to trade on his notoriety to get fights, but it may not be worth my money even in a "I'm not going to get my money's worth, but I'm curious" sort of way.  Punk looked out of his depth against Jackson, a dude who is 0-2 now (?) and got shit on by Dana White after the event.  Though White is right.  It certainly looked like Jackson could have finished Punk off and maybe was screwing around with him.

So, yeah, I watched the show mostly for Punk.  Had low expectations going in and got what I expected - just.... even less of it.

Random odd factoid: Even though they were have identical records, Punk at least managed to log more ring time than fellow pro wrestler Yuji Nagata.  I guess that's... something.  Though I think Nagata fought better opponents, didn't he?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Random odd factoid: Even though they were have identical records, Punk at least managed to log more ring time than fellow pro wrestler Yuji Nagata.  I guess that's... something.  Though I think Nagata fought better opponents, didn't he?

yeah Nagata got flattened by two locks for the eventual MMA hall of fame. CM Punk got beat by guys who will struggle to achieve beyond the little they have thus far. also i don't think Nagata was exactly crazy about doing it either!

i watched the fight and it was horrible. as bad as some of the white collar boxing you get in London. Punk is so unathletic, he lacks a fighter's instinct, and he's not even got a ton of heart either. i give him no credit for diving in on a payday when he could have started smaller, could have learned, climbed the ranks. i'm not saying i wouldn't do the same for money. i just don't think he deserves credit for having a dream that status allowed him a headstart on. a really sad waste of three years proving an arcane point that probably wasn't worth making. the only positive is that he must now look at what indie wrestling has become in his absence and think that maybe he can make peace, work his own schedule, and keep food on the table.

sorry to sideline this. Whittaker is tough as nails, couldn't call that fight. Colby's a good heel, you have to hand it to him, but he's a dull fighter.

• Like 1

He shouldn't wrestle either.  He made money. Enjoy it. keep his brain in tact.

Fucking Colby Covington. I don't need that kind of guy "selling ppvs". Trash. And I don't think I can even root for Tyron Woodley to come back and whip his ass. That sounds like a rung of hell I don't want to climb into.

Robert Whitaker is my new favorite fighter. Seems like a sweet nice guy. Is a goddamn warrior in the octagon. 

• Like 4

Punk has made enough money that he's set for life. He's never doing another pro wrestling match ever again and given the signs he is showing of brain trauma I'd rather he never did another match.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
43 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Punk has made enough money that he's set for life. He's never doing another pro wrestling match ever again and given the signs he is showing of brain trauma I'd rather he never did another match.

I don't know how anyone even let him fight considering how many concussions he's had and the fact that he's fractured his skull before.

Shit, Alistair Overeem has been competing in MMA and kickboxing since 1999 and been knocked out cold a bunch of times. If Overeem can get cleared by a commission, anyone else can. It ain't that hard.

Also, Punk made a million plus (pending on how this PPV does) to do what amounts to two gym smokers. Why the fuck would he go back to pro wrestling? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Also, Punk made a million plus (pending on how this PPV does) to do what amounts to two gym smokers. Why the fuck would he go back to pro wrestling? 

he could probably make that now working a reasonable US-only indie schedule and not get punched in the head.

8 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

he could probably make that now working a reasonable US-only indie schedule and not get punched in the head.

But what if he doesn't want to wrestle? 

Just now, sevendaughters said:

i don't care either way, 

You made a suggestion he can make similar pay compared to MMA and came into this thread to do so, which means you certainly do care.

For all this not caring shit, non MMA folks have made a habit of showing up in threads, ridicule him for fighting, and giving him career "advice" like someone won't find something for him to do where he doesn't have to do anything physical.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You made a suggestion he can make similar pay compared to MMA and came into this thread to do so, which means you certainly do care.

For all this not caring shit, non MMA folks have made a habit of showing up in threads, ridicule him for fighting, and giving him career "advice" like someone won't find something for him to do where he doesn't have to do anything physical.

Bit aggressive, my friend. I came into the thread to chat about a the named event. Given that he lost, humiliatingly so, to a rank amateur hand-picked for the express purpose of being a potential easy win, it feels natural to speculate where he might jump to next. I care inasmuch as yes it is a topic that I am interested in because of the complex relationship between fighting and wrestling. And he definitely can make similar money if names of a lower status such as Cody Rhodes and the Young Bucks are raking it in. But it doesn't affect my happiness whether CM Punks i. wrestles ii. fights iii. does neither. He could continue to guest-write comics or commentate or be in the media in a more general role. But the history of fighters and wrestlers, as I'm sure you know as an MMA-folk, is that it is difficult to replicate that experience in civilian life. In light of that, and his first major step away from the pain of wrestling was to enter a ring and accept pain, I'm skeptical of his not-returning to wrestling.

27 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

I came into the thread to chat about a the named event. 

LMAO as oppose to the other events you come here to discuss. Really?

CM Punk doesn't want to wrestle. GET THE FUCK OVER IT.

Random boxing people don't come into these threads and say Holly Holm should go back to boxing where she doesn't have to get choked to sleep or fight giant women like Cris Cyborg or Megan Anderson. Kickboxing fans don't come here and say "man, Overeem should go to Glory where folks can't elbow him into oblivion like Curtis Blaydes did". People are going to do what they want to do no matter how lucrative or safer the alternative seems. He doesn't want to fucking wrestle. He ain't coming back. 

The UFC was in a much different place when they signed Punk in 2014 or whenever. By the next year, financially they didn't need Punk. Then they got sold and needed that money to pay off debts. So yeah, they needed Punk to fight maybe once or twice. But they were on the verge of signing a tremendous TV deal so whether Punk fought Mike Jackson or not...they were only doing it for contractually obligations and he pestered them enough to get a second chance. The thought that UFC believed he was going to have a walk over opponent is fucking retarded. If they handpicked Gall to beat CM Punk why would they now believe "yeah, let's search the planet to find someone Punk can actually beat." They put him in with a photographer and journalist because there was no point in being cruel or dickish to put him in with an actual fighter. Dana is like Vince, but he ain't Vince. He begged for a second shot and got it. Now it's done. Simple as that. Making fun of him is fine, but trying to navigate him back to pro wrestling is silly. He has made it clear he has no intentions on going back.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

LMAO as oppose to the other events you come here to discuss. Really?

CM Punk doesn't want to wrestle. GET THE FUCK OVER IT.

Random boxing people don't come into these threads and say Holly Holm should go back to boxing where she doesn't have to get choked to sleep or fight giant women like Cris Cyborg or Megan Anderson. Kickboxing fans don't come here and say "man, Overeem should go to Glory where folks can't elbow him into oblivion like Curtis Blaydes did". People are going to do what they want to do no matter how lucrative or safer the alternative seems. He doesn't want to fucking wrestle. He ain't coming back. 

The UFC was in a much different place when they signed Punk in 2014 or whenever. By the next year, financially they didn't need Punk. Then they got sold and needed that money to pay off debts. So yeah, they needed Punk to fight maybe once or twice. But they were on the verge of signing a tremendous TV deal so whether Punk fought Mike Jackson or not...they were only doing it for contractually obligations and he pestered them enough to get a second chance. The thought that UFC believed he was going to have a walk over opponent is fucking retarded. If they handpicked Gall to beat CM Punk why would they now believe "yeah, let's search the planet to find someone Punk can actually beat." They put him in with a photographer and journalist because there was no point in being cruel or dickish to put him in with an actual fighter. Dana is like Vince, but he ain't Vince. He begged for a second shot and got it. Now it's done. Simple as that. Making fun of him is fine, but trying to navigate him back to pro wrestling is silly. He has made it clear he has no intentions on going back.

I enjoy that you can read things that I didn't say into things I did say. It must make reading more difficult texts a lot more fun and less of a chore.

2 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

I enjoy that you can read things that I didn't say into things I did say. It must make reading more difficult texts a lot more fun and less of a chore.

No, I will enjoy it more when you no longer are in this section of the forum. And since Punk isn't going to fight anymore save for Viacom being desperate to get Bellator ratings out of the toilet:

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

You guys will probably get a laugh out of this: some guy on another board was ranting about Colby's shtick and I pointed out he was playing heel and his goal is to draw money by making people hate him so much they pay to see someone beat him. The guy replied that "pro wrestling shit does nothing for me" and that he enjoyed guys who trash talked "naturally" like Chael and Rampage. I pointed out to him that both were heavily influenced by pro wrestling and that Chael literally recycled Superstar Graham promos almost word for word.

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

You guys will probably get a laugh out of this: some guy on another board was ranting about Colby's shtick and I pointed out he was playing heel and his goal is to draw money by making people hate him so much they pay to see someone beat him. The guy replied that "pro wrestling shit does nothing for me" and that he enjoyed guys who trash talked "naturally" like Chael and Rampage. I pointed out to him that both were heavily influenced by pro wrestling and that Chael literally recycled Superstar Graham promos almost word for word.

Maybe besides Bisping, I can't think of anyone who does trash talking "naturally" and not be horrendous. James Toney and Ricardo Mayorga? Granted Toney has suffered a bit of brain damage over the years and undecipherable most of the time. Mayorga does all his in Spanish. Golovkin maybe but his is on this Borat meets Ivan Drago type thing where he actually doesn't have to trash talk to trash talk. Tyson Fury is just goofy and he just says wild shit for his own amusement. However, just like Chael, people like him enough to get past how boring and awkward his fights look. Derrick Lewis is my personal favorite but mileage will vary.

• Like 2

No, Black Beast is the right answer. He's such a goldmine. It's almost like what if Earthquake (the comedian, folks) were a pro fighter.

I'm 99% sure Colby is the racist piece of shit he portrays himself to be.

• Like 1