DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Here is the other announcement video

EDIT - Since someone will ask

A) It will air live on the Network

B) They are bringing the women

They are indeed. Ronda and Charlotte in the front row of the poster, along with Asuka, Nia, Alexa, Sasha, and Carmella pictured. (IIconics have been advertised but don't appear on the poster.)

20180615_SuperShowDown_v2--a30de6a119c47

Also, its interesting hearing Triple H shift from corporate promotional H to kayfabe H and back again within one two-minute clip.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Thing about people saying they'd never push The Elite in WWE... For the amount of money it would cost to sign them, Vince damn sure would push them when they come in.

WWE definitely can win a bidding war for them, but I suspect it'll take more than just beating NJPW's offer. They'll need to blow it away and Vince tends to push guys he's paying really big money.

I could see the Young Bucks possibly signing at some point, if for no other reason than there's really not much left for them to do outside of the WWE, and they don't seem like the kind of guys who would be happy just coasting for the rest of their careers.  But Omega has expressed zero interest in leaving Japan.  

• Thanks 1

Matt, thanks for bringing some sanity to the speculation! I know it's a mug's game to say this about any professional athlete when there are millions of dollars at stake, but... Kenny Omega has always seemed like a "quality of life on his terms" kind of guy. He's in a country whose culture he's adopted as his own,  (hell, the dude speaks the language like a native without a trace of accent according to a friend of mine who has taught school there), the people have embraced him as a native son and love the hell out of him. He works for a company that has just now given him their highest accolade and pays him more money than a reasonable person can spend (and Kenny seems like a reasonable person who isn't collecting Maserati's or some stupid shit like that).  He more than likely has a job for life with NJPW transitioning to a liaison with gaijin talent after he retires. Why the hell would he trade all that to be getting 50/50 booking with the likes of Dolph Ziggler as another brick in the VKM wall? 

• Like 8

At this point, it seems that they are going to trot out the Undertaker for any "big" event, to pop a rating or to satisfy the curiosity of any pasha or ego of any vet. Soon he will be like a giant bunraku puppet, bone grinding on bone, held together with cortisone as the rassling more completely sheds kay fabe and transforms totally to spectacle and symbolism. Never mind those black clad druids in the ring with sticks!

- RAF

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I could see the Young Bucks possibly signing at some point, if for no other reason than there's really not much left for them to do outside of the WWE, and they don't seem like the kind of guys who would be happy just coasting for the rest of their careers.  But Omega has expressed zero interest in leaving Japan.  

That's kinda what I was saying though. The only way I see him making the jump is if it's a "Godfather offer"

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't have a problem with HHH/Undertaker? I mean, do I want to see it at the top of the card? No. But, on the other hand, do I want to see another Reigns main event, or an underwhelming Nakamura/Styles match? That's also a no.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bazzil said:

The liberal port city of Melbourne!

What happens first in Melbourne: this show or the next Carlton victory????

• Sad 1

I wonder if they put Global Warning up on the Network before the return to Melbourne. I know there was a home video release as I remember seeing the DVD in a Suncoast how ever many years ago that was, 16?

8 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

It's true.  But then again I remember the same disagreements over Balor and Anderson that they would "never" come over and had no interest leaving NJPW.  Things change, money talks and...

https://goo.gl/images/SAJ5w5

everybody has a price! 

He'll be 35, in a job that chews you up, working a style that has to be taking a serious toll on his body. If WWE offers him, say, double, he's gonna have to at least consider it. At some point, there is a level that it's hard to turn down.

I'm far from convinced Vince will be willing to pay him that much, but if Triple H convinces him they need Kenny, well... Vince just got 2.5 billion in TV contracts.

1 hour ago, caley said:

It's true.  But then again I remember the same disagreements over Balor and Anderson that they would "never" come over and had no interest leaving NJPW.  Things change, money talks and...

I don't remember any such talk about Anderson and Balor. I recall it being known that Anderson wanted to eventually go to WWE. He was even asking Bernard/Albert/Bloom for advice. I don't think it was a secret that Balor wanted to go either.

23 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I don't remember any such talk about Anderson and Balor. I recall it being known that Anderson wanted to eventually go to WWE. He was even asking Bernard/Albert/Bloom for advice. I don't think it was a secret that Balor wanted to go either.

Karl Anderson and Finn Balor WEREN'T IN WWE in the past.

That has to be added to the mix for Kenny Omega going to WWE: He was there under a developmental deal in the past! Omega knows what being in the WWE was like, and by all accounts Omega HATED IT THERE! Even if most of it was being a victim of DeMott bullying, Omega despised his time in the WWE and absolutely loves everything about Japan. 

With the Young Bucks, there's a chance that you make a price tag so high they have to go into the void. With Omega, you have to find a price tag SO HIGH that he's willing to leave a promotion and life that he loves to go back to a life that he hated, and he does seem, as was said, like a "quality of life guy".

• Like 2

They should sign Kenny for the Melbourne show. Not that far to fly. No real timezone issues. Seems a win-win.

Also I dont care if Taker and Triple H are 400 years old. Being able to see that entrance live will be enough for me.

When we get shows its usually a trumped up house show with half the roster and the main-eventers working tag matches so to get a legitimate, PPV level show, at the biggest stadium in the country (they'll get over 100k in there easily, possibly 115k-120k) is massive for us.

I applaud whoever it is behind the scenes that is pushing for these international shows.

• Like 7