DVDVR Message Board

WWE Exec Fired After Wife Outed As Twitter Troll

1 minute ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Social media has made it easier to find people of all stripes.  If all you're finding are assholes, that may be more of an indictment of your own beliefs.

Yeah, I'm on social media for the comedy, and Twitter keeps me laughing almost every single day.  I'm also someone who does not hesitate with the block button.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Social media has made it easier to find people of all stripes.  If all you're finding are assholes, that may be more of an indictment of your own beliefs.

I didn't say all I'm finding are assholes. Just that assholes are prevalent to such an extreme that I find the negatives of social media vastly outweigh the positives.

You may see it as an indictment of my beliefs. Alternatively, I suspect I have a low bar for what qualifies one as an asshole.  

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I don't blame social media for anything.  Literally millions of people go on social media every day without being racist assholes.  The problem is that the world is filled racist assholes.  Social media just exposes these people for who they are in real life.  This behavior is solely the fault of the people who are perpetrating the behavior.  It is not the fault of social media, the media, the leftest agenda, the right's agenda, the homosexual agenda, pc culture, SJWs, or anything else.  A certain percentage of people are going to be fucking horrible, we need to hold those people accountable for their behavior and stop blaming everything else. 

I don't blame social media either, but I can't help but wonder what Twitter's reasoning is/was for not doing anything with all the times people have reported her to them.  It's clearly hate speech that incites fear which last I checked is plenty cause to report her and her punk ass should have been suspended a long time ago.  Not trying to claim there's something nefarious going on, but if one's going to rightly use the Report button then it should have some kind of result.

And WWE is in the clear unless dumbshit can prove they knew about her.  But if the Saudi deal had a hand in this then that's the only decent thing I can about the 10-year deal.

Ways to weed out assholes include changing your country to "Germany" and block chains.  I've only got around 400 people blocked, but friends of mine on Twitter have tens of thousands blocked.

If blocking doesn't work (sometimes mutuals become MORE prevalent when blocked, just mute words and phrases you don't want on your timeline.

• Like 1

"Ladies and gentlemen, let us assure you that we abandoned our relationship with this horrible racist as soon as we were told to by the horribly racist Saudi Prince that we have a relationship with. I want to set the record straight. I thought the cop was a prostitute."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I don't blame social media either, but I can't help but wonder what Twitter's reasoning is/was for not doing anything with all the times people have reported her to them.  It's clearly hate speech that incites fear which last I checked is plenty cause to report her and her punk ass should have been suspended a long time ago.  Not trying to claim there's something nefarious going on, but if one's going to rightly use the Report button then it should have some kind of result.

Are you a sports fan?  Honestly, I think my sports fandom is what keeps me on Twitter the most.  It is like watching sports with a mix of the most nerdy, funny, informed group of people possible.  I've been on Twitter all day laughing at J.R. Smith memes and spend every football Sunday reading insights from people who can actually explain every major play in real time.  

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Have you seen the Facebook hate speech policy that went around a couple weeks ago?  If you were to ask the average minority what they'd consider racist, and then read their hate speech policy, I'm pretty sure they'd tell you that Facebook is enabling racists.  At least that is what I took from it.  Their policy was pretty much as long as no one calls you a racial slur while claiming to be part of the Ku Klux Klan, nothing is actually racist.  You can be in a racist organization with no penalty and you can call a black person all types of shit, but you can't do them at the same time.  Don't expect these people to actually do something to stop this shit.

• Thanks 1

It also doesn't really matter if Social Media Group of Choice bans them, there's pretty much nothing stopping them from making another account and keep on going.  They don't, and really can't, IP block.  And the people looking for this stuff, will find it again.

43 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Don't think too hard about Twitter's reasoning about anything.  They're all over the map on rules and enforcement.

The #1 reason people go on Twitter is for political engagement, and a significant portion of that is arguing with/bitching at/shouting at people they disagree with. If Twitter gets rid of that they'd be just another place to post cat pictures.

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

As it should be. We can barely go a month talking about wrestling without it turning into a shitflinging circus, add current politics and *that* lovely discourse? 

90% of that is others clutching their pearls and waiting to be offended. 

Or perhaps people are fed up with everything else going on in the world and won't let you get away with stuff anymore.

No more eye rolling when you use gendered insults, no more "he's just having a bad day" when you complain situations you got yourself into.  No more free passes because they've known you for a while.

Society is changing, and there are fewer and fewer get out of jail cards to pass around.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Or perhaps people are fed up with everything else going on in the world and won't let you get away with stuff anymore.

No more eye rolling when you use gendered insults, no more "he's just having a bad day" when you complain situations you got yourself into.  No more free passes because they've known you for a while.

Society is changing, and there are fewer and fewer get out of jail cards to pass around.

I was referring to on here when people say 'Guys the thread is going to be closssed!!!" 

Shit let people fight and get it out of their system. 

• Like 3

I will say that I was a bit wary about coming out to a group of wrestling fans, based on comments made in threads I've been in, but I've been very blessed to not have run into anything directed towards me personally. 

I can somewhat see what Vic is getting at, but at the same time worried posts about the thread closing hopefully signals to the more heated debaters to maybe take a walk before their next response.

As I said, the world is changing, and fighting it out may have been seen as "fine" before, but now marginalized people have some more confidence and are more willing to speak out.

• Like 5

Most of the thread locks have been avoidable and ugly. I try to remember the good times, like the amazing Phil Collins song pun spamming that got the monthly thread locked, or whenever Brodus re-debuted and there were just pages and pages of dinosaur pictures until one of the mods had enough. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not to be too recursive here but if the topic of the thread becomes threads getting locked I think the thread will be locked.

I guess another question is whether or not this also applies to talent. Obviously if a wrestler were themself to tweet a bunch of awful shit they'd likely get canned, but of their not-in-the-business spouse did?

19 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

Not to be too recursive here but if the topic of the thread becomes threads getting locked I think the thread will be locked.

This guy gets it.

30 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

I guess another question is whether or not this also applies to talent. Obviously if a wrestler were themself to tweet a bunch of awful shit they'd likely get canned, but of their not-in-the-business spouse did?

Isn’t Sonya Deville dating Seth’s Nazi ex?

Probably depends on the talent and the level of awareness the crazy got, but I’m guessing there’s no firing in this scenario. 

The thing in the article I found the most interesting was her connection to the convicted killer and her dedication to him. Its not talked about but her husband being cool with it and buying a house near the prison is weird, right?

She seems so dedicated to his innocence and that sort of thing is very incongruent for a person like that. 

Somewhere Curt Schilling is reading the collected wit and wisdom of AmyMek and masturbating furiously.

1 hour ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

If you find him, Rhode Island still wants back the $75M they gave his video game company.

Having visited Providence, RI three times, I can state with a degree of certainty that giving stupid ex-jocks big bags of money is hardly the worst of RI's problems. 

• Like 1