DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC 2018

RIPPA

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:21 PM, RIPPA said:

Since a couple of people posted hoping LuFisto would be in it this time - she announced on Facebook that she is having surgery again and basically can't wrestle for at least the rest of the summer if not longer.

If I had to guess, I'd say that her either Cancer has spread or she's finally putting off the surgery she may have delayed earlier in the year...:(

She was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer this past Spring, I think. 

I thought she already had the surgery to remove the malignant tissue, but maybe not.  I know that she had issues with her insurance over the procedure, so maybe that is why she has put it off for as long as she has.?

She recently announced that she chose to vacate the Shine Championship for health reasons.

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

If I had to guess, I'd say that her either Cancer has spread or she's finally putting off the surgery she may have delayed earlier in the year...:(

She was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer this past Spring, I think. 

I thought she already had the surgery to remove the malignant tissue, but maybe not.  I know that she had issues with her insurance over the procedure, so maybe that is why she has put it off for as long as she has.?

She recently announced that she chose to vacate the Shine Championship for health reasons.

She vacated in the same Facebook post I was referencing

She stated in her original announcement months ago that she would need a full hysterectomy if they discovered bad cells in her vagina so making a slight leap... it could be that.

• 2 weeks later...

That is nice to hear. I recall seeing stuff about her coming back, but I never found anything beyond her match with Rachel Ellering. I was starting to think it was just a one off. I don't expect much, but it will be nice to see her spear someone again.

Hope the rest of the announcements are soon. I just really want the Meiko rumor to be true.

She isn't a full time wrestler but she has been wrestling more and more lately probably for this reason.  I figure people will groan and be disgusted but from what little I have seen in full matches she has improved in the ring.  Not enough to justify anything more than a first round match but it isn't like they put Eva Marie or Rosa Mendes in the Mae Young Classic

And I agree 100% with Cathy Kelly on this one:

• Like 1

Hell yeah Kaitlyn was starting to get decent,  her matches with AJ were good.  AJ was a bump machine and Kaitlyn had some great power moves.  Kaitlyn didn't hold back on her spears and AJ sold them like death.  

Plus,  Kaitlyn was just really personable,  a fun person to have around.  I hope she's back for good.  

• Like 1

It helps that Kaitlyn and AJ are best friends. They had that complete trust thing so Kaitlyn could throw that tiny little bump freak around like the proverbial ragdoll. They had one match (I think it was the title win by AJ, not the rematch) that was really great.

Okay - so summary so far. I am positive I have missed some. And again - the Educated Guesses part is based on reports not the "Oh she is really good, she should be in!" type ones.

Participants Confirmed By WWE

• Kaitlyn (Celeste Bonin)
  • Rhea Ripley

Reported as in by non-WWE sources

• Meiko Satomura
  • Verrice Gabriel (wrestler from the Philippines)

Has signed with WWE but unsure if for Mae Young or NXT or both

• Toni Storm (signed to UK deal)
  • Jinny (signed to UK deal)
  • Deonna Purrazzo (was alternate last year)
  • Io Shirai

Some Educated Guesses (speculated by "in the know" folks and me connecting dots)

• Teagan Nox (Nixon Newell) - already under contract and was supposed to be in last year's tournament
  • Chelsea Green - just had another WWE tryout.
  • Britt Baker - Adam Cole connection. Recently moved to Orlando
  • Marina Shafir and/or Jessamyn Duke - both are now officially signed officially completing the "4 Horsewomen" set
  • Kacy Catanzaro - they announced her signing at last year's MYC and I think some places have already reported she is in but I can't find them to confirm that so here we go.
  • Kavita Devi - in last year and they will want the India tie-in
  • Xia Li - in last year and they will want the China tie-in
  • Barbi Hayden - Was an alternate last year
  • Nicole Matthews - was an alternate last year and attended a try-out earlier this year.
  • Xia Brookside - reportedly will sign and, obviously, has the family connection.
  • Mia Yim and/or Mercedes Martinez - in last year, heavily featured in the announce video

Almost 100% Positive They Won't Be In (Either due to contracts elsewhere or injury)

• Viper/Piper Niven - Signed with ITV/WOS (also working Ring of Honor)
  • Kay Lee Ray - Signed with ITV/WOS
  • Tessa Blanchard - Signed with Impact
  • LuFisto - major surgery due to her cancer
  • Shotzi Blackheart - just broke her ankle this past weekend. Doubtful recovered in time for the taping dates
  • Delilah Doom - just broke her ankle (yup - both of them did it)
  • Rachael Ellering - at one point was signed with Impact but I have no idea how long that deal was far. Putting her here just for now.

Also one thing to note - Green and Baker are both advertised for #All In. Meltzer had a note in the new WON (when talking about Rey Mysterio Jr) about how the WWE really doesn't want people working the show. And neither is on Rey Jr's level where they could get away with doing both. So they probably would be picking one over the other (like Purrazzo did).

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Mia Yim and/or Mercedes Martinez - in last year, heavily featured in the announce video

I'm actually surprised that they didn't sign these two outright after last year.  They have plenty of younger talent that they want to showcase, and these two are well known enough that a win means something.  They could be in mini-feuds with Dakota Kai, Bianca Belair, and/or Lacey Evans so they can get some experience both in the ring and with their promos/character work.  NXT is getting to the point where they need more TV time to give enough time to the men, women, and tag divisions, because all three are stacked with talent right now.

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:
  • Shotzi Blackheart - just broke her ankle this past weekend. Doubtful recovered in time for the taping dates 
  • Delilah Doom - just broke her ankle (yup - both of them did it)

And just before they were both supposed to tour Stardom this month as a part of RISE.

WWE is giving “exclusive” stories to media outlets to reveal participants in the upcoming Mae Young Classic over the last couple days. I don’t know it’s happening for a fact, but it seems to me it’s likely idea a place like MedioTiempo and Record might have their own name to announce in the next few days.

From cubs' update today

7 minutes ago, Eivion said:

And this confirms 4 of RIPPA's guesses. No real surprises. Io has to be going to the final. How is Jinny? I've never seen any of her matches.

A more athletic Billie Kay might be the way I describe her

• Like 1