DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC 2018

RIPPA

27 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I thought they would have saved Meiko's match for the last episode of the first round.  Glad to see that's not the case as I really want to see her matches.

Since Meiko isn't signed, her being the last match of the 1st round was never gonna happen.

Now her being the last match of this first episode makes sense - especially of the "names" for this episode

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just because this point has been talked about a few times.

Per the newest WON

Just for clarification, when the Mae Young Classic was put together, the original booking plan was for Tegan Nox to beat Toni Storm in the finals

57 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I'm surprised they were going to have Toni fail two years in a row in addition to losing her NXT title shot at Shayna back in the UK shows. That was the main reason I was sure Io wasn't winning.

If you butterfly effect it - remember the Women's UK Title tournament was taped after the MYC was taped

So I am thinking, originally, they were going to have Toni with the UK Title

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

If you butterfly effect it - remember the Women's UK Title tournament was taped after the MYC was taped

So I am thinking, originally, they were going to have Toni with the UK Title

So their top choices to win the UK Title were an Aussie and a Kiwi? They should call it the Commonwealth Title and let Chelsea Green have a shot too.

• Like 1

My top five MYC 2K18 matches

5. Io Shirai vs Toni Storm - needed a few more minutes to get any higher, but what was there was really good. I thought Shirai had a solid but disappointing tournament overall. 

4. Shirai vs Rhea Ripley - Ripley, on the other hand, had a great tournament. Looked fantastic in the shorter, early matches. Handled the Nox injury beautifully. Then really got things going here with Io. She brought a level of mean to the tournament that was great to see.

3. Toni Storm vs Hiroyo Matsumoto - For a few minutes, this was the best match of the tournament. I hadn't seen Matsumoto before there MYC, but I thought she looked like a stay here. I doubt she gets signed until/if they launch a NXT Japan, but she blew me away. Storm was mostly along for the ride here, but that's actually something she's really good at doing. Just being in position, letting her opponents shine.

2. Toni Storm vs Meiko Satomura - Meiko, of course, needs no help shining. This was emotional, extremely well worked, and could easily have been my number one. But it just gets edged by

1. Mercedes Martinez vs Meiko Satomura - because this was just nastier. Martinez looks like someone they should have as a player coach in NXT, and Meiko looked like the best wrestler in the world. This is my WWE MOTY through ten months. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

My controversial opinion: Toni Storm was the worse person in the ring in every single one of her matches.

I'm not sure I can go quite that far, but... I mean, she definitely was with Meiko. Overall definitely was with Io, even if Io wasn't at her best those two days. So, yeah, it's not a totally baseless theory. And I like Storm. I liked her in Stardom, I liked her here. But WWE put together an incredible field for this.

31 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

My controversial opinion: Toni Storm was the worse person in the ring in every single one of her matches.

I disagree. I didn't think Jinny or Io were better than Toni. I would have to rewatch the Yim match, but I can see the argument for Hiroyo. I fully agree with Meiko, but Meiko was literally the best person in this tournament. I don't think your opinion is too controversial. For a while there has been a mixed reaction to Storm where half seem to hate her while the other half like her fine. Honestly, I thought she had a significantly better showing this year.

30 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Keep in mind TJP won the Cruiserweight Classic and he might not have been one of the top 10 most interesting acts in that bracket.

That was more because of ZSJ and Ibushi not signing than anything else. Io is fully contracted, and Toni has a UK contract. Cole's calling Nox his favorite always felt like a foreshadowing more to her falling short than actually winning. Io would have been the first tough match Nox really had in the tournament. Meanwhile Storm had to go through her UK rival in Jinny, a top level Japanese star, a top level US indy Star, and Meiko who they sold as a living legend and the toughest in the tournament. All of that and then losing to Nox would have made no sense. I don't find Nox winning impossible to believe, just improbable.

17 hours ago, Eivion said:

I still have trouble buying that Nox was winning this. Just didn't really feel like she had momentum for it all.

I can buy it based on her trying to finish the match while clearly injured and then saying “I’m sorry...” to Hunter for getting injured.

• Like 1

For my top 5 matches here I'd go Meiko/Mercedes, Meiko/Toni, Hiroyo/Rachel, Meiko/Killer Kelly, and maybe Io/Deonna. The first two are for sure, really loved Meiko/Kelly and the Hiroyo/Rachel match was super exciting and had me uncertain of who was going over. Can't be understated how great Hiroyo was in her two showings.

• RIPPA unpinned this topic