DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 130: Thompson vs. Till (5/27/2018) - Liverpool, England, United Kingdom (Echo Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

16 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

There should be a rule that if you fail to make weight your next fight is automatically at the next weight class up.

It just seems to be happening a lot lately.  I'm not sure what the problem is unless they get it on short notice like Max Holloway when he was scheduled to fight Khabib. Maybe the afternoon weigh-ins gave fighters the extra time they needed to finish the weight cut. 

People like Ariel Helwani assumed the early weigh-ins were good for the sport and that it was barbaric to make the fighters wait all that extra time to weigh in.

Isn't the argument then that they don't have the time to properly re-hydrate (which is still insane as is) and that leads to a higher susceptibility to brain damage and shittier performances in general?

What a fun fight! How you separate some of those rounds, I have no clue. Shame we have the weight issues now lingering around the win. Rematch? Does Till have to move up in weight or is he on welterweight probation?

Gift decision and hometown cooking, but Thompson is equally at fault.

Less touching gloves. Less high fiving and showboating and more fighting. That guy wants to take half your pay. The only major moment in the fight was Till's knockdown in the fifth round. 

I wasn't all that impressed with Till here. He looked pretty slow and sluggish and he wasn't really committing to his punches.

Not seeing it as a gift decision at all. When the striking is barely going one way, that's when you get to octagon control. The 5th was the only round which was obvious and it went Till's way. I don't think I would've scored it 4-1 in his favour, but I disagree with the panel bitching. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

What a fun fight! How you separate some of those rounds, I have no clue. Shame we have the weight issues now lingering around the win. Rematch? Does Till have to move up in weight or is he on welterweight probation?

IMO If Whittaker can have success at 185, I don't see Till having too much trouble at middleweight. Hell, do Gastelum vs. Till and the winner can do a coin flip on what weight division they want their title shot in. MMA New Japan Cup/Money in the Bank would be quite a concept.

As far as the fight goes, I had Wonderboy winning those early rounds based the fact that Till was just barely grazing Thompson with the few shots he did land and Thompson was scoring with kicks to the body and counterpunches. Wonderboy abandoning the work to the body made it closer than it should have been. 

If this was a 3 rounder, it would have been 30-27 Thompson and maybe 30-28 if you score 10-10 rounds. Till continuously marching forward even when he was tired looked way better to the judges especially when the contact and activity was minimum as the fight went on. I probably had it 49-46 Thompson with Till winning the final round. However, if you flip rounds 3 and 4 based off Till's glancing shots as Thompson was backtracking off the fence, it's 48-47 Till. I think Wonderboy is going to be frustrated watching the playback of the fight because it's not like Till's defense improved as the fight went on. Darren Till is 6'2" with an extremely wide body that he wasn't covering up and those kicks would have slowed him going into that final round. I think Wonderboy thought Till getting closer was a sign he was going to land something big, but the knockdown Till did score was Thompson just freezing with his back toward the cage. He just stopped moving as opposed to Till just being in better range to land than the early rounds.

• Like 1