DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 130: Thompson vs. Till (5/27/2018) - Liverpool, England, United Kingdom (Echo Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_Liverpool_Thompson_vs._T

UFC Fight Night 130: Thompson vs. Till 
May 27, 2018
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom (Echo Arena)

Stephen Thompson (171) vs. Darren Till (174.5)** - Till, DEC (unanimous)
Neil Magny (171) vs. Craig White (171) - Magny, TKO (punches), R1 (4:32)
Arnold Allen (146) vs. Mads Burnell (146) - Allen, SUB (front choke), R3 (2:41)
Jason Knight (146) vs. Makwan Amirkhani (146) - Amirkhani, DEC (split)
Cláudio Silva (170) vs. Nordine Taleb (171) - Silva, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (4:31)
Eric Spicely (186) vs. Darren Stewart (186) - Stewart, TKO (punches), R2 (1:47)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Daniel Kelly (186) vs. Tom Breese (186) - Breese, TKO (punches), R1 (3:33)
Gina Mazany (135) vs. Lina Länsberg (135) - Länsberg, DEC (unanimous)
Brad Scott (171) vs. Carlo Pedersoli Jr. (170) - Pedersoli Jr., DEC (split)
Gillian Robertson (125) vs. Molly McCann (127)* - Robertson, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:05)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Elias Theodorou (186) vs. Trevor Smith (186) - Theodorou, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight
**Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000?
Performance of the Night: Tom Breese
Performance of the Night: Darren Stewart
Performance of the Night: Cláudio Silva
Performance of the Night: Arnold Allen

Attendance: 8,520
Gate: $1.3 million
Rating: 552,000 viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
Gunnar Nelson vs. Neil Magny - Injury to Nelson (Meniscus)
Brad Scott vs. Salim Touahri - Injury to Touahri
David Teymur vs. Don Madge - Injury to Madge
Davey Grant vs. Manny Bermudez - Grant Removed Due to Staph Infection

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

The Liverpudlian contingent is already off to a pretty rough start.

Molly McCann missed weight by 1 pound on the first attempt. Came back after about an hour and was still a pound over.

Darren Till missed the two hour weigh in window, was granted another hour to make weight due to what has been described as family emergency, and missed weight at 174.5. Whether it was the UFC officials or Till himself who looked pretty rough during the official weigh-in, the decision was made not to cut anymore weight. Now the fight right now is up in the air right before the ceremonial weigh-ins.

If the UFC earmarks an entire card for you in your hometown, you gotta make weight.

• Like 1

If you're in the main event you should be making weight. Apparently Darren Till had some sort of personal family emergency here. Don't know what it was. But it still sounds like he should've been on point. My general view is if you are cutting so much weight that it's so hard, you should probably not be fighting at that weight.

In the Junkie story put up by Mike Bohn and John Morgan, Till said he can be as heavy as 210 pounds. Looking at how big and wide his frame is, he has to be a middleweight by the time the year ends especially if he knows just being at or around 188 pounds (the weight limit Thompson agreed Till could be no heavier than) at the low end of he would be come fight day. He didn't even seem optimistic he could make that and plans on putting on an extra training session and another weight cut before the fight. He also still has to pass medicals. If the fight somehow goes on and Thompson even agrees to fight Till well past the 188 mark, I can't imagine Thompson not winning and styling on a depleted Darren Till.

Anyway, here is the ceremonial weigh-ins:

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If the fight somehow goes on and Thompson even agrees to fight Till well past the 188 mark, I can't imagine Thompson not winning and styling on a depleted Darren Till.

I used to take this position but the fighters who missed weight have just been on a tear recently.  It might just be random statistical noise but I kinda wonder how hard some of these fighters are trying to make weight.  Till supposedly was as high as 216 a few days ago, that doesn't really sound like someone who fully intended to actually make weight.  Losing 30% of your official show money sucks but if it buys you a significant advantage... it is looking like more fighters are fine making that deal.

24 minutes ago, username said:

I used to take this position but the fighters who missed weight have just been on a tear recently.  It might just be random statistical noise but I kinda wonder how hard some of these fighters are trying to make weight.  Till supposedly was as high as 216 a few days ago, that doesn't really sound like someone who fully intended to actually make weight.  Losing 30% of your official show money sucks but if it buys you a significant advantage... it is looking like more fighters are fine making that deal.

How many of those fights are fighters who were gonna win anyway? Amanda Cooper was going to get steamrolled by Mackenzie Dern. Cooper was 3-3 coming into the fight. Dern just happened to miss weight by a lot. 

Till looked awful at the official weigh ins, and I already thought Thompson was tough matchup for him.

The 6-0 stat doesn't take into account the talent level in the win column. In a five round fight against a less orthodox fighter who is hard to hit, if Till wins, it won't be because he was just simply bigger than Wonderboy.

• Like 1

Using the search tool, I've compiled the fights where the winners missed weight in 2018:

Mackenzie Dern (123)* vs. Amanda Cooper (116) - Dern, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:27)
Edson Barboza (155.5) vs. Kevin Lee (157)* - Lee, TKO (doctor stoppage), R5 (2:18)
Eric Shelton (126) vs. Alex Perez (126.5)* - Perez, DEC (unanimous)
Interim UFC Middleweight Championship: Yoel Romero (187.7)* vs. Luke Rockhold (185) - Romero, KO (punch), R3 (1:48)
Michel Prazeres (161)* vs. Desmond Green (156) - Prazeres, DEC (unanimous)
Mike Santiago (146) vs. Mads Burnell (150)* - Burnell, DEC (unanimous)

Out of those six fights, I may have picked Burnell and Shelton. I definitely picked Romero, Trator, Dern, and Kevin Lee. From watching Shelton vs. Perez, Alex Perez was just the better fighter. I don't remember Santiago vs. Burnell all that well. Out of those six fights, four played out exactly how I thought they would whether the fighter was comprised by the weight cut or not.

Whereas with the Liverpool main event, I think this might firmly put the fight in Thompson's hands especially if Till chooses to cut weight before he leaves to go to the arena. If Thompson agrees to the fight with Till w/o having to go through all of that, I think we're just at square one where IMO Thompson has a slight edge over Till. Blowing up to well over 200 isn't going to be favorable if it goes a decent length of time.

I think the only factor that would convince me not cutting extra weight was a detriment to the eventual loser was Kevin Lee recovering from Barboza's kick. After witnessing Naoya Inoue land just any single half decent shot against Jamie McDonnell (a 5'10" boxer who had to get down to 118 pounds and rehydrated to 143-144) and just make McDonnell fold like an umbrella during a category 5 hurricane, Lee not killing himself to get to 156 may have played a big role in his recovery ability.  Lee was likely in great shape at the camp, couldn't get down to the lightweight limit with the pound allowance, and stayed in good enough shape to put on an otherwise good performance besides one scary moment. If Wonderboy-Till plays out where it's close, Thompson hurts Till, and Till recovers to either stop Wonderboy or win on the cards, honestly, I would be convinced that not having to stay at 188 was a huge factor in Till's win. However, if Till just blows Wonderboy's doors off like he did Cerrone, I think that's just because Darren Till is a very quality prospect who finally reached maturation. Sucks he missed weight and I think he will be forced to move up eventually, but in context, some factors just don't play into the ultimate outcome.

4 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Middleweight was pushing it but he fighting at Welterweight was just insane. 

Yeah, 205 to 170 is scary. Rumble still has the UFC record for missing weight by most amount, 11 pounds, right vs. Belfort? Must be up there for largest miss period in MMA.

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Yeah, 205 to 170 is scary. Rumble still has the UFC record for missing weight by most amount, 11 pounds, right vs. Belfort? Must be up there for largest miss period in MMA.

That was very bad but Gabi Garcia said HOLD MY BEER last year she missed weight by 28 pounds. 

SPOILER FOLLOWS:

Molly McCann who missed weight is the first fighter in 2018 to do so and lose. Good. Gillian Robertson choked her out cold in the second, sounds like a late stoppage going by PBP. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Holy fuck!

I think the unofficial record is Aaron Cobb against Gerald Harris on the last ever Legacy FC show before it merged with RFA to become LFA. It was set for 170 pounds and Cobb showed up at 224 lbs. They changed it into a LHW fight the day of the weigh-in and Cobb would've still missed by 18 pounds. So Cobb actually missed weight for two different weight classes separated by 35 pounds.

He got slammed to oblivion so it was not all a loss (well, except for Cobb of course).

• Like 1