DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

Irreversible - Holy cow, this was awful. That's 3-1/2 hours of my life I'll never get back. What do you mean, it's only 97 minutes long? It sure felt like 3-1/2 hours! This is a movie that's in love with itself, trying to be all artistic and stuff. This is a movie with the thinnest of plots - a rape and revenge - and uses the gimmick, a la Memento , of playing out in reverse chronological order. The gimmick is useless and serves no purpose. Many of the scenes are painfully overlong. The infamous rape scene is incredibly well done, brutal, violent, really realistic and nasty. The revenge scene is really violent but lost in a mess of "artistic" nonsense. You do get about ten minutes of incredibly gorgeous Monica Bellucci naked to end the movie but even that isn't enough to save this dog. 1/10 - one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I warned you last year about this movie, Tabe. :lol:

If you really want your senibilities shaken to the core, check out Baise-Moi.

I remembered this today and it always makes me smile:

Hellboy III please.

This wasn't a huge reaction that I would have put as a moment in the other thread but it was a very cool moment when everyone in the theatre started singing along.

• Like 1

Irreversible - Holy cow, this was awful. That's 3-1/2 hours of my life I'll never get back. What do you mean, it's only 97 minutes long? It sure felt like 3-1/2 hours! This is a movie that's in love with itself, trying to be all artistic and stuff. This is a movie with the thinnest of plots - a rape and revenge - and uses the gimmick, a la Memento , of playing out in reverse chronological order. The gimmick is useless and serves no purpose. Many of the scenes are painfully overlong. The infamous rape scene is incredibly well done, brutal, violent, really realistic and nasty. The revenge scene is really violent but lost in a mess of "artistic" nonsense. You do get about ten minutes of incredibly gorgeous Monica Bellucci naked to end the movie but even that isn't enough to save this dog. 1/10 - one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

then Salo

Personally i've never seen the rape scene as realistic. It's too beautifully shot to me.

then Salo

Personally i've never seen the rape scene as realistic. It's too beautifully shot to me.

Yeah, Salo ain't gonna happen.  I might give Baise-Moi a shot though.

I'm not necessarily looking for my sensibilities to be shaken, just looking to stretch my viewing a bit.  JT, if I ignored a warning from you about Irreversible, just know it's because I'm half-senile and not that I ignore your recommendations as a matter of course :)  For the record, I didn't think it shook my sensibilities, I just thought it sucked.

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2 is a perfectly acceptable afternoon out with the kids.

The whole concept of the machine turning the island into the bastard love child of Jurassic Park & The Food Channel was pretty ingenious.

Loved Cloudy 2.

I've been sent on a mission to find any and all Barry plush items on EBay because he's so goddamn cute.

I finally watched Wreck It Ralph - which I really enjoyed - but it also left me wondering if Rihanna's Shut Up And Drive is the most inappropriate song used in a kid's movie

316 - Eric Roberts (96 of which are dated 2013/2014!) 

Okay the list at IMDB backs this up...but there has to be some loophole...I mean, that means he's showing up to a different shoot on a different production at a rate of almost one a week for two years.

That shouldn't be possible.  If it's true, he deserves some kind of publicity for this.  It's like he's part of some crazy bet.

Roberts literally phones in some of his recent appearances.  Here's a trailer for a "film" where Roberts voices the lead -- he apparently read all of his lines off a landline phone from his home ... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VnkM_VtpFM

The director's resume is a bit, uh, unique.  A friend of mine saw this film off Netflix on a whim and it's atrocious as advertised.

JD

Évocateur: The Morton Downey Jr. Movie (Miller, Kramer, Newberger 2012)

I must admit going into this I little knew who Morton Downey Jr was. Being between 3-7 years old during his relevancy on television my only exposure of Downey was opposite Roddy Piper at Wrestlemania V and far from the truth, I had always assumed he was a popular 80s comedian. Downey found his niche as a cigarette smoking conservative TV talk show host who didn't play nice but got into his guests face, often insulting opinions opposite from his. He was a voice for the blue collar working man who was able to bring their opinions to national television. His show hit at the right time, and I do not think a show like his will ever see television again. For one people on the opposite side of a host like Downey would be smart enough not to appear, and I am not sure you can find a host ballsier than Morton Downey Jr.

He was a very polarizing figure and people who did not share his political beliefs still thought highly of him and in some way credit him for them on the way up to national recognition. The story of Morton Downey Jr is a sad one and he had a lot of demons he battled. The documentary tells the story well jumping between his prominent TV years and his past. I like learning about people, especially if I know little about them going in thus I enjoyed this documentary immensely. There is more than enough friends, fans, former guests and former production crew interviewed to give a well rounded view on who Downey was. Whether you agree with his political stance or not this is worth a look. 5/5

I've reading The Disaster Room, Greg Sestero's account of making The Room with Tommy Wiseau. This book is something else. You thought the movie was bizarre.

Highlights so far:

-Wiseau taking 3 hours and hundreds of takes simply to do the 7 second bit where he goes "I did not hit her, I did not...oh, hai, Mark."

-Wiseau deciding to do a lengthy Marlon Brando monologue in one of his early acting classes and everyone in the room being in a mixture of awe and disbelief knowing they were witnessing one of the most disastrous pieces of acting ever.

-The cameraman insisting he had to work under a tent so Wiseau couldn't see him laughing 

-Wiseau confiding in Sestero that the character of Mark was named after the famous Hollywood actor "Mark Damon."  

• Like 1

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/10/quentin-tarantinos-top-ten-films-of-the-year-from-gravity-to-the-lone-ranger-gallery.html

Tarantino's top 10 movies of 2013 (in alphabetical order, obv):

Afternoon Delight

Before Midnight

Blue Jasmine

The Conjuring

Drinking Buddies

Frances Ha

Gravity

Kick-Ass 2

The Lone Ranger

This Is The End

BUT WAIT!

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/10/busan-2013-tarantino-declares-big-bad-wolves-best-film-of-the-year.html

Yesterday in a regular screening of Aharon Keshales and Navot Papushado's Israeli thriller Big Bad Wolves, Quentin Tarantino, who had popped into Busan to have a chat with Bong Joon-ho, was in attendance. Sitting mere seats away from me, we watched the film and upon its conclusion Tarantino eventually took the microphone at Q & A time and asked Navot, who was in attendance some questions. He also clearly stated that he loved the film so much, heaped a lot of other positive words of praise on it and then excitedly concluded that "This is not only the best film of Busan, it is the best film of the year."

Balls. So now I'm having second thoughts about seeing that one. I can only see so many films at the Chicago Fest this year and that's on my short list, that I have to make shorter. But I don't know what to cut out.

Balls. So now I'm having second thoughts about seeing that one. I can only see so many films at the Chicago Fest this year and that's on my short list, that I have to make shorter. But I don't know what to cut out.

All I have to say is, if you see Big Bad Wolves, and it's really good, let me know.  I've got an opportunity to see it on the 25th that I am currently not taking advantage of.

Creepiest part of The Disaster Artist (for now): Wiseau invites Sestero to live with him, takes him out to fancy dinners, and continually leaves his door ajar at night. One night Sestero is trying to sleep and overhears Wiseau yell at him "Somebody's a chicken!"  

Yes, just like in the movie.

Ha coincidence. I've seen it before, but watched it again last night as the ladyfriend I was hanging with had never (on a double bill with Capturing the Friedmans, which is a bizarre combo). Held up really well, as you can tell how much those guys enjoy working together. Craig Robinson is the MVP of that movie.