DVDVR Message Board

Cobra Kai

Dolfan in NYC

On 12/28/2020 at 2:39 PM, Tabe said:

Hadn't even heard of it until now.  Looks like a mobile game that would bore me quickly.  Not a bad idea for a game though.

And today I learned that the publishers of the Cobra Kai game were also the publishers of the infamous Big Rigs Over the Road Racing. 

I watched the first two episodes of the new season. The best parts were Johnny and Daniel playing Tango & Cash and all of the scenes with Kreese. I don't want to blow through the season too quickly, so I won't watch anymore tonight.

Highlight for me so far:

Spoiler

Johnny driving Daniel's car.

Edited by ohtani's jacket
  • Like 2

Done with the whole season. So many awesome moments. Do not read the spoiler tag until you have watched the entire season.

Spoiler

The season finale is just as insanely fucking good as the second season. Amazing fight scenes and an epic build to it. Hawk's face turn felt like some wrestling shit where a tag team broke up, were mortal enemies, before the one who turned heel one day saves his former best friend. I literally fucking leapt from my couch.

Edited by Greggulator
  • Like 3

I'm doing a rewatch of the first two seasons thanks to an extended weekend so that tomorrow I can dive into the new season, and there's one thing that really, no seriously I mean really sticks out when Kreese pops back up

And its mainly due to a labyrinth movie rewatch, but goddamn does Kreese look like the live action version of Hoggle, like Hoggle in his younger days. I shit you not Kreese enters the frame and I keep thinking he's gonna bullshit Sarah or he's going to beg Jareth for mercy hahaha

On topic, loved the stories and the flashbacks, starting up season two and I'm freaking pumped to start the new season tomorrow 

Happy New Year to all.  

• Like 1

So I didn't think I'd get the wife into this. We overlap on 85% of what we watch, but I though this would be in the 15%. Good news, she enjoyed it a lot. Bad news, she's vetoing bingeing season 3 because she wants to "savor it," so I'll be avoiding this thread for a bit.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

So I didn't think I'd get the wife into this. We overlap on 85% of what we watch, but I though this would be in the 15%. Good news, she enjoyed it a lot. Bad news, she's vetoing bingeing season 3 because she wants to "savor it," so I'll be avoiding this thread for a bit.

Season 3 is more like a 5 hour movie than a series. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Matt D said:

We're both not binge watchers but turns out my wife loves this a lot more than she thought. So I'm quite okay with spacing this out a bit but goddamn did we love the first three episodes. Episode two in particular was a tremendous buddy cop one that I didn't know I needed until it aired. Damn I love this show. 

Oh, man! 3 episodes in and this is thrilling. Johnny trying to do the right thing again and having to choose between seeing his son in juvi or staying for the kid's surgery that he's partially responsible for!

Sucks that Aesha had to move to a private school and a different city, but that's probably what rich parents would do in that situation, so I guess I understand.

Getting to see a little bit of Kreese's past was very cool and he helping out Tori (albeit with an ulterior motive) was even cooler.

Seeing Amanda sober and lucid and getting better in rehab was good, she could still be some kind of a parent to Robbie if she sticks with it.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this. So far, this seems better than Season 2, if not quite on the level of Season 1, but there is still plenty more to come.

I like that everybody gets at least some reason for me to like them, so no one is completely awful! Only Moon seems like a 100% good, adorable person, everyone else is more or less flawed.

• Like 2

Other stuff I love:

Spoiler

The beginning of Episode 8 is an awesome “Big Speech” sports movie scene like in Hoosiers or Miracle, except you get to see the three philosophies all at once. 

Tory is just incredible. She reminds me of a few people I know from growing up. My town had a big spread of wealth between it where we had some really wealthy kids and a few pockets where kids came from pretty rough circumstances. I knew a few Tory types who had to take care of themselves and were filled with anger and a few Sam types who were oblivious that people struggled even if their parents came from difficult circumstances. The times when a Tory got into it with a Sam were always like that where the Sam just quaked with terror. Perfect way to write Tory as an unforgiving, angry badass who sees nothing in her life but grinding poverty. 

The speeches to save the All-Valley was a great slow clap moment. 

I am glad that Robby went bad. I think he brings the least to the table on the show as an actor. Martin Kove does a great job playing one of the most over-the-too characters in history, which should make Robby more compelling. 

The evil car dealer rival bragging about his Nespresso machine was awesome.

The Okinawa stuff was my least favorite of the season but still really good in how it uses the mythology of the show in a modern way, and let Daniel evolve to become more “badass” in his approach to align his style with Johnny’s. 

The arcade scenes were really fun. I loved Sam walking them into a trap. They thought they had numbers and did not calculate that, well, they probably already let the rest of their friends know there was an abandoned laser tag venue to vandalize. That also set up Cobra Kai’s preferred method of attack — surrounding from both sides in a surprise manner, which is a great touch.

That actually reminds me of how the Nexus made its attacks in the WWE. It is clear there is a big WWE influence on the writers and directors considering they had a few different references. Hawk’s face turn in the fight was straight wrestling. He and Demitri had their tensions erupt with Demitri getting the first win in the feud after the breakup. Then Hawk gets his revenge after but feels a sense of guilt. Then he sees that the people he is now aligned with are the people who tormented him in the past/hurt Miguel/were taking his spot as the heart and soul of Cobra Kai. Dickhead Kyler celebrates with him and it clicks with him as to who has had his best interests at heart and here come the Binary Boys. 

I think the fight scene in the final episode was even better than the second season. The long-track sequences showing the violence was so well done. They also had good cutaways with Ali causing Daniel and Johnny to finally put their past selves behind them. And the showdown with Tory and Sam was just a great “rivals bump into each other in the Royal Rumble” thing. And the slowmo with the dark techno music when Tory grabs the nunchucks was amazing.

And the final scene with “In The Air” was just goosebumps.

• Like 1

This is the first time my wife and I have ever binged watched a series in a day!  Our kids are younger, so if we watch two episodes in a row, it's a big accomplishment.  Our plan going into New Year's day was to watch the show all afternoon and night after the kids go to bed and finish.  And it was so good, we stuck to the plan.  

This series is so tremendous, just a great time.  I love this so much more than the movies. 

• Like 2

First three episodes in and we adore the fuck out of this. And I'm having a Coors Banquet which I would never do if not for Johnny Lawrence. It's shockingly not awful but one time is more than enough for me. 

• Like 1

Well damn, I got a good afternoon to wrap up the new season and I'm still stuck on how Kreese looks like a taller live action Hoggle from The Labyrinth. He seems to have the same sad puppy dog face when he's groveling or trying to outwit someone 

But I popped at Mrs LaRusso calling him Rambo since I'm almost sure he pops up in Rambo 2 or 3 so that had me grinning 

Love the way things played out, and the way they kept going on about Cobra Kai never dies, I feel like we're looking at upwards of 8 or more seasons, probably jump-start the movies with the cast from here where we get Daniel and Johnny as grandparents and see how Samantha Miguel and Robby do as adults and parents themselves?????

No joke, this may have been one of my favorite seasons of TV ever. It's in my top 10 anyway. And the season finale is up there with my favorites too.

All of the face turns, surprises, rising up, heel turns, etc. were awesome. This was pro wrestling as fuck, but in the best way. 

• Like 3

Hawk’s redemption arc was my favorite part of the season. His fight at the dojo and the pulling of Kyler’s bitch card was my favorite scene of the season. 

Oh, Kumiko’s reaction to seeing Daniel made me smile big. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 9:48 PM, Mister TV said:

Season 3 is more like a 5 hour movie than a series. 

Cobra Kai does such a great job of showing that every dramatic show doesn't have to have hour long episodes, especially in the days of streaming. 

Edited by blitzkrieg