DVDVR Message Board

Cobra Kai

Dolfan in NYC

19 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I'd give the "Sweep The Leg" song/video just as much credit as HIMYM in regards to kinda creating the germ of this idea.

Oh, ok then! I don't believe I've seen that one, or at least don't recall that I would have. I'll totally take your word for it, though.

Well they certainly aren't afraid to put a massive spoiler for anyone who isn't caught up with the series into the thumbnail for the Season 3 date announcement trailer.  

Spoiler

9 hours ago, CSC said:

Well they certainly aren't afraid to put a massive spoiler for anyone who isn't caught up with the series into the thumbnail for the Season 3 date announcement trailer.  

Reveal hidden contents

Thank the all-mighty Mr. Miagi for the early January release, I could not have waited for very much longer than that!

5 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I didn't like Season 2 quite as much as Season 1. There were a lot of great moments, but too much action and too many fights. I understand why they had to up the ante, but for me, the character moments are what drive my interest. Johnny still rules. 

Yeah, obviously the best stuff is when the adults reflect on their past and then you see the kids going a bit different route, but still the same.

There's no beating Season 1, but I did like Season 2 more than I expected, since I had read this thread before watching the series.

There is too much fighting that happens outside the tournament in Season 2 and I have my doubts that this is about to decrease in upcoming seasons.

This doesn't take away from the fact that Johnny is indeed awesome and I very much need him to climb out of the deep hole he ended up in at the end of Season 2.

Yeah, I still really liked season 2, but it definitely seems to take place in some weird alternate reality where random karate brawls are commonplace and have no consequences in the Valley.  Also, Johnny turns into way more of a network sitcom character.  They turn him from “dude stuck in the past” to Unfrozen Caveman Sensei who is frightened and confused by our modern word in order to score cheap laughs a bit too often.

• Like 1

I still liked season 2 a ton even with some of the weirder things, like multiple karate brawls and everything with Stingray. It's also very weird to me that Paul Walter Houser played Stingray and a whole bunch of idiot characters like Stingray in other tv shows or movies, and then he winds up with a starring role in Richard Jewell.

I have to actively think hard to think about stuff from the series I don't like. Daniel's son and Daniel's shitbag cousin both suck a ton and feel out of place. Robbie kinda sucks because he looks like a date rapist. Um, Hawk is maybe one of the most ridiculous transformations ever. That kid should still be getting his ass beat up and down. No one is cool with a mohawk like that. It wasn't cool when I saw some dudes looking like that in the mall back in the 80s, it's not cool when the bad guys in beat em up games have those mohawks, and it's not cool in this tv series. And the school is way too "OK" with the amount of fighting and violence that goes on. I'm not going to lie, but Miguel hitting a dude with a fucking lunch tray would have gotten him expelled in an instant and it's hard to think past him not getting expelled.

EVEN WITH ALL OF THOSE...THINGS, I still love this series and none of it is enough to make me want to turn it off. If anything, it adds to the campy nature of the show.

I'd still like for this all to end with Johnny and Daniel becoming friends and for Daniel to stop acting like a dick.

• Like 3

I like Hawk just because of Johnny's reaction when he re-enters the dojo. He ended up getting taken down a peg or two as Season 2 went along, so I don't really have a problem with his storyline. To be honest, the Miyagi stuff bugs me the most. It actually kind of annoys me every time Daniel says "Miyagi-do karate." I guess I gravitate more towards the "Cobra Kai is a badass name for a karate dojo" school of thought. 

Edited by ohtani's jacket

Oh, man.  I just finished the series like a week ago, and I already blocked Stingray out of my mind.  Oof.  Another example of the sitcom-ification of the 2nd season.  When he turns up with that look for the first time, that’s probably when I had to make peace with the type of show it had become. 

And they really only got one good joke out of him!  The bit where he shows up to the high school party with a grown woman date, and she’s like WTF.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Oh, man.  I just finished the series like a week ago, and I already blocked Stingray out of my mind.  Oof.  Another example of the sitcom-ification of the 2nd season.  When he turns up with that look for the first time, that’s probably when I had to make peace with the type of show it had become. 

And they really only got one good joke out of him!  The bit where he shows up to the high school party with a grown woman date, and she’s like WTF.

As someone who at 14 1/2 years old got into a fist fight with the older dude at a high school party, I feel a character like Stingray fits into the story. My only issue is that Paul Walter Houser plays the same character in every thing he's in which kind of ruins things, I feel the same way about Bert Kreischer who knocked Fleabag down a few pegs for me.

They could be holding off on doing anything with Daniel's son until later seasons.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Craig H said:

I can't tell you how fucking stoked I am for the Lawrence/LaRusso team up. Inject that shit into my veins.

Hell yeah! But it was bound to happen. Considering, every time they gave it a chance, they were able to co-excist and even get a long, until something came up and ruined the moment. They could make one hell of a team!

Edited by Shartnado
Typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Mild tangent, but has anyone played the tie-in game that was released recently? It looks like a fun little beat em up, with series accurate hadukens and what-not.

No, I haven't, but this sounds like something I could use in order to get my nephew to watch the show with me at some point, so I'm definitely interested!

11 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Mild tangent, but has anyone played the tie-in game that was released recently? It looks like a fun little beat em up, with series accurate hadukens and what-not.

Hadn't even heard of it until now.  Looks like a mobile game that would bore me quickly.  Not a bad idea for a game though.