DVDVR Message Board

UFC 224: Nunes vs. Pennington (5/12/2018) - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Jeunesse Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC-224-Nunes-Pennington-poster.jpg?1523

UFC 224: Nunes vs. Pennington 
May 12, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Jeunesse Arena)

UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship: Amanda Nunes © (135) vs. Raquel Pennington (135) (third defense) - Nunes, TKO (punches), R5 (2:36)
Ronaldo Souza (186) vs. Kelvin Gastelum (185) - Gastelum, DEC (split)
Mackenzie Dern (123)* vs. Amanda Cooper (116) - Dern, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:27)
John Lineker (136) vs. Brian Kelleher (136) - Lineker, KO (punch), R3 (3:43)
Vitor Belfort (184) vs. Lyoto Machida (186) - Machida, KO (front kick), R2 (1:00)

FX Preliminary Card:
Cezar Ferreira (186) vs. Karl Roberson (185) - Ferreira, SUB (arm triangle choke), R1 (4:45)
Oleksiy Oliynyk (235) vs. Júnior Albini (266) - Oliynyk, SUB (ezekiel choke), R1 (1:45)
Davi Ramos (156) vs. Nick Hein (155) - Ramos, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (4:15)
Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos (171) vs. Sean Strickland (170) - Dos Santos, KO (spinning heel kick and punches), R1 (3:40)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Warlley Alves (171) vs. Sultan Aliev (171) - Alves, TKO (doctor stoppage), R2 (5:00)
Thales Leites (186) vs. Jack Hermansson (186) - Hermansson, TKO (punches), R3 (2:10)
Alberto Mina (171) vs. Ramazan Emeev (171) - Emeev, DEC (unanimous)
Markus Perez (186) vs. James Bochnovic (186) - Perez, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (4:28)

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000?
Performance of the Night: Oleksiy Oliynyk
Performance of the Night: Lyoto Machida
Fight of the Night: Ronaldo Souza vs. Kelvin Gastelum

Attendance: 10,696
Buyrate

Cancelled Fights:
None

Remember when people clamored for Kyra Gracie to do MMA for like several years before Ronda showed up? Well, Mackenzie Dern is my 1:1 comparison to Kyra.

Mackenzie's success in MMA is directly tied to her giving or not giving a fuck. She is going to need someone who puts his or her foot down to stop the bullshit. Hence, why John Crouch had to kick her out of MMA Lab as Dern talked about the last week or so. She wants to kick it with her friends in Los Angeles and do jiu-jitsu.

4 hours ago, OSJ said:

UFC-224-Nunes-Pennington-poster.jpg?1523

I'm thinking that five years ago this poster would look very, very different...

Vitor wouldn't look like a long retired bodybuilder?

24 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Remember when people clamored for Kyra Gracie to do MMA for like several years before Ronda showed up? Well, Mackenzie Dern is my 1:1 comparison to Kyra.

Mackenzie's success in MMA is directly tied to her giving or not giving a fuck. She is going to need someone who puts his or her foot down to stop the bullshit. Hence, why John Crouch had to kick her out of MMA Lab as Dern talked about the last week or so. She wants to kick it with her friends in Los Angeles and do jiu-jitsu.

Mackenzie Dern also seems to be a really large strawweight, it would probably be good for her health, the UFC, and the 125 lbs. division if she move up.  To your point though, she doesn't strike me as the personality type that would excel in high level MMA.  She's exactly like the goofy, fun loving, dudes you meet in a jiu-jitsu gym.  Sure, they can choke you unconscious in more ways than they can count, but after you woke up they'd give you a five and show you how to defend the choke.  She ain't exactly a Ronda Rousey "I'm going into the cage to kill you dead" type.  I'm rooting for her, but her striking is rudimentary, her wrestling might be worse, and if she is already blowing weight by over five pounds I don't know how far she'll go.  

• Like 2

UFC fighters this year have missed weight 5 times and still fought all have won so Dern is looking to make it 6-0. 

Her next fight should be at flyweight unless you make in the contract a poison pill if she misses weight again at 115. 

22 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Sultan Aliev has a meteor growing out of the side of his face.

That eye is gnarly!  Good stoppage by the doctor because he will need to go to the hospital to deal with the eye/broken orbital bone.