DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2018 TV THREAD

RIPPA

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

How about we open with The Silmarillion and center it on a young Elrond?

Young Elrond would only be around for the very end of the Silmarillion. The better material for a TV series might be the second age. First you would get some decent creative freedom without interfering with the core story, second you could either concentrate on the end of the second age and have a steady cast of humans (Amandil, Elendil, Isildur and Anarion) and elves (Elrond, Gil-galad, Galadriel and Cirdan) or go full spectrum and use the elves as center point of the story (maybe do it in an anthology way, first season concentrate on the end of the first age and Elros' reign, second season you could do about Eregion, the creation of the rings and the capture of Sauron and the third season about the fall of Numenor and the last season about the end of the second age).

Murphy Brown looks terrible. It really screams of trying to get some of that Trump Profiteering money. 

Was the original show good? I know all the critics said it was and I would watch whatever was put in front of me as a boy. I tried rewatching it on one of the digital channels. But I did not get much out of it 

On 5/17/2018 at 12:27 PM, Betsy Zeidler said:

Grownish is kind-of watered down compared to Blackish.  That being said, if you enjoy it, give the mother series a spin!

Got around to seeing the season finale. It was nice of them to do a few jokes but the rest of this divorce story was completely unearned. I guess the resolution being unearned was appropriate. 

I would have preferred Dre and Bo talk things out like adults and realize they love and need each other.

Spoiler

Instead they pull Bo's Dad dying out of their ass. He died off screen and I don't they even showed her mother. Just a cheap way to resolve a cheap story. 

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

My one hope: Selleck shows up as Robin Masters

I don't think I'll ever watch it but if the show gets a proper final episode it should end with Selleck as Magnum ghostwriting this version of Magnum under the Robin Masters name. There was a Magnum sequel with his daughter as the main focus being shopped to ABC, seems like a better concept than this CBS reboot.

http://deadline.com/2016/09/magnum-p-i-sequel-daughter-abc-eva-longoria-1201824437/

9 hours ago, Victator said:

Murphy Brown looks terrible. It really screams of trying to get some of that Trump Profiteering money. 

Was the original show good? I know all the critics said it was and I would watch whatever was put in front of me as a boy. I tried rewatching it on one of the digital channels. But I did not get much out of it 

I thought Murphy Brown was very good.  Sharp, witty writing,  a great cast, plenty of political commentary to use as fodder.

That said, I feel like it might be a product of it's times.  I'm wondering if it would hold up if I went back and watched it now.

The trailer for the reboot really turned me off.  Least favorite of the trailers I've seen, by far.  It doesn't help that most of the cast looks to have aged badly in the past 20+ years (of course, they're the half of the cast that is still alive,  so by that yardstick, they're doing great).   Joe Regalbuto and Bergen looked less well than Tyne Daly in the trailer, despite being a little younger.  Not sure building a show around 3 seventy-year olds is a great idea, but, hell, it's working for Roseanne.

I felt bad for Grant Shaud.  He looked like they put him in a fat suit and made him up to look 20 years older for am episode of Saturday Night Live.

Only trailer I've really liked so far was God Friended Me.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I felt bad for Grant Shaud.  He looked like they put him in a fat suit and made him up to look 20 years older for am episode of Saturday Night Live.

He was the only person I found close to funny in the trailer. 

Is the flip phone this generation's version of vinyl records, where TV writers use it to show a young person is stupid? 

1 hour ago, Victator said:

He was the only person I found close to funny in the trailer. 

Is the flip phone this generation's version of vinyl records, where TV writers use it to show a young person is stupid? 

No, because I'd believe it if a young-ish person said they'd never seen a vinyl record.

Flip phones were very common until at least 2010 (first iphone came along in 2007, iirc).  I still see people with flip phones (mostly older people, admittedly).   I know it was supposed to be a joke, but it was a lazily written joke that's already been used a bunch of times.  I haven't taken a poll, but I'd guess there's a thousand funnier flip phones jokes out there. 

I didn't hate the Magnum trailer, but no plans to check the show out either.  The trailer made the show  look very generic, imo, without the charm of the original or Tom Selleck's charisma.  I think a Magnum reboot can work and there would probably be an audience for it, but I don't know that  there's an audience out there clamoring for an edgier, more violent Magnum.  I feel like Magnum would work best with a slightly more lighthearted approach (take the same tone as Castle, maybe?)

2 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

No, because I'd believe it if a young-ish person said they'd never seen a vinyl record.

With the way vinyl collecting has risen in popularity, I'd be shocked to meet a person young than me (28) that has never seen one. On the flip side, I wouldn't be shocked at all to meet someone younger that's never seen or heard of a flip phone. 

48 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Given that places like Best Buy and Barnes & Noble now carry vinyl, it would be hard to have never seen an album. 

Now, never seen a 45, I can buy.

Yeah, I kinda forgot vinyl is making a comeback and you can buy vinyl in a few large chain retailers.

Most of y'all are younger than me.  If you think the 20-somethings don't know what a flip phone is, I'll take your word for it.

Still didn't find the joke funny though.

6 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Flip phones were very common until at least 2010 (first iphone came along in 2007, iirc).  I still see people with flip phones (mostly older people, admittedly).   I know it was supposed to be a joke, but it was a lazily written joke that's already been used a bunch of times.  I haven't taken a poll, but I'd guess there's a thousand funnier flip phones jokes out there. 

This would have been 92/93, I have to think a kid of that time saw a vinyl record. 

But I agree with everything else. One thing I noticed is they were just so excited to do lame Trump jokes. 

13 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

13 Reasons Why has been pushed back on account of gun violence, which is at least the second time Netflix has had to make such a decision. 

This is America. 

Ironcially, I got a email from my kid’s school yesterday letting parents know that the second season was about to drop and providing resources (that had been provided by folks in the mental health field).

Obviously that email came in the morning.

15 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

13 Reasons Why has been pushed back on account of gun violence, which is at least the second time Netflix has had to make such a decision. 

This is America. 

"We feel in light of the shooting, our show that glorified teen suicide is inappropriate right now."

• Like 2

I feel like the gun violence excuse is now just shorthand for "This was getting a lot of negative reactions we didn't like, so we're gonna wait until that dies down some before throwing it out there with no fanfare"

• Like 2

On 5/18/2018 at 5:40 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

This is America. 

It wasn't pushed back. They canceled the premier party but the season was still released. 

• Thanks 1