DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2018 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

No one bid on the rights for the remains of the Weinstein Company - so this Lantern Capital group got the rights basically by default. They say they will be dumping money in and keeping the company going.

Lantern Capital is a "Dallas-based private equity firm, whose diverse holdings include luxury hotels, automotive dealerships and zinc recycling operations"

I am now spending the morning trying to understand what a stalking horse bid is

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am now spending the morning trying to understand what a stalking horse bid is

It's like putting a For Sale sign in front of your house, but your goal is to see how many people will put in a bid and how much their offers are rather aggressively pursue one particular buyer.

You're also trying to weed out assholes who are trying to lowball you and offer you less than market rate for what you are selling.

5 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Is it bad that I read "Lantern Capital" and immediately thought it had to be a Chinese firm?

No more wrong that me noting the Slavic sounding name of one of the co-founders and thinking he was secretly a Russian oligarch.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Lantern Capital is a "Dallas-based private equity firm, whose diverse holdings include luxury hotels, automotive dealerships and zinc recycling operations"

They're first project will be a reboot of

Three Billboards was good. It's absurd and even a little silly at times, but the dialogue was mostly sharp and the cast was game. I've never travelled to Missouri, so I'm unfamiliar with the accents or dialect, which I feel is to the movie's advantage since they are all over the place. Woody Harrelson's wife being 20 years younger than him and Australian was distracting as well. Sam Rockwell continues to be a treasure, and Frances McDormand will always be a super lady. I haven't seen many of the Oscar films from last year, but as much as I enjoyed it, it never touches Get Out

So I marathoned Into the Badlands last week and am now itching for some more Hong Kong cinema/wire-fu/whatever else falls into this category.  I know nothing about this genre.  Anyone want to recommend some movies to track down?  Not precisely sure what I'm asking.  Basically, anything with over-the-top action sequences, and possibly swordplay or martial arts.  I really dig the over-the-top stuff, so the crazier the better.  I don't demand that my fight scenes conform to the laws of physics or anything else.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:45 AM, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

So I marathoned Into the Badlands last week and am now itching for some more Hong Kong cinema/wire-fu/whatever else falls into this category.  I know nothing about this genre.  Anyone want to recommend some movies to track down?  Not precisely sure what I'm asking.  Basically, anything with over-the-top action sequences, and possibly swordplay or martial arts.  I really dig the over-the-top stuff, so the crazier the better.  I don't demand that my fight scenes conform to the laws of physics or anything else.

So you don't want to watch any Chang Cheh / Venom Mob classics from Shaw Brothers or anything with Chen Kuan-Ti / Jiimmy Wang Yu / Lo Leih / Alexander Fu Sheng in it, then. 

There were some wire elements in some of their movies, but SB prided itself on casting guys that could act as well as showcase martial arts and acrobatic skills with the bare minimum of special effects.

Okay, here is my list of my favorite HK Wire Fu movies, past and present, in no particular order.  I will include franchises as one entry to broaden your movie pool.

1. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (obviously..)

2. Iron Monkey (duh...)

3. A Man Called Hero

4. The Storm Riders

5. The Legend & The Legend II

6. The Bride With White Hair

7. Once Upon A Time In China franchise

8. Wing Chun

9. Zu Warriors

10. The Heroic Trio I and II (not period pieces but still awesome)

11. Moon Warriors

12.  The Swordsman I and II

13. Detective Dee & The Phantom Flame

14. Fearless

15. Hero

16 Ip Man franchise

17. 14 Blades

18, Come Drink With Me / Golden Swallow

19. Black Mask (also not a period piece but still awesome and very campy)

20. Flying Swords of Dragon Gate (2011 and 2015)

Here is a list of Korean movies with some Wire-Fu-esque qualities you might enjoy.

1. Bichunmoo

2. The Restless

3. Shadowless Sword

4. The Legend of Evil Lake

5. Musa

21 hours ago, J.T. said:

So you don't want to watch any Chang Cheh / Venom Mob classics from Shaw Brothers or anything with Chen Kuan-Ti / Jiimmy Wang Yu / Lo Leih / Alexander Fu Sheng in it, then. 

There were some wire elements in some of their movies, but SB prided itself on casting guys that could act as well as showcase martial arts and acrobatic skills with the bare minimum of special effects.

Okay, here is my list of my favorite HK Wire Fu movies, past and present, in no particular order.  I will include franchises as one entry to broaden your movie pool.

1. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (obviously..)

2. Iron Monkey (duh...)

3. A Man Called Hero

4. The Storm Riders

5. The Legend & The Legend II

6. The Bride With White Hair

7. Once Upon A Time In China franchise

8. Wing Chun

9. Zu Warriors

10. The Heroic Trio I and II (not period pieces but still awesome)

11. Moon Warriors

12.  The Swordsman I and II

13. Detective Dee & The Phantom Flame

14. Fearless

15. Hero

16 Ip Man franchise

17. 14 Blades

18, Come Drink With Me / Golden Swallow

19. Black Mask (also not a period piece but still awesome and very campy)

20. Flying Swords of Dragon Gate (2011 and 2015)

Here is a list of Korean movies with some Wire-Fu-esque qualities you might enjoy.

1. Bichunmoo

2. The Restless

3. Shadowless Sword

4. The Legend of Evil Lake

5. Musa

Yep, this is the sort of list I was looking for. Thanks.  Going to rent a couple of these today.

I feel sort of bad for saying it, but, yeah, a "realistic" martial arts film would probably not hold my interest.

I am on the opposite spectrum of Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On. 

I can deal with Wire Fu epics, but I really do prefer the 70% to 100% "realistic" martial arts movies whether it be the classic period pieces like House of Traps, Kid With the Golden Arm, Incredible Kung-Fu Mission, Five Fingers of Death or "modern" stuff like Enter The Dragon, Flashpoint, or The Raid I / Raid II.

• Like 1

When it comes to Wire-Fu, I will admit a certain weakness for the "chi = magic" Wire-Fu movies like Holy Flame Of The Martial World, The Battle Wizard, The Storm Riders, Zu Warriors, and The Web Of Death.

Those sorts of movies are always fun to watch, even the campy ones.. 

I think that is why I love Big Trouble In Little China so much.

I hate to be a gatekeeping nerd, but it seems like wire-fu is an easier "in" for most people thanks to The Matrix and what have you.  The more realistic, old school period pieces are for hardcore fans, which is sad, because as JT said, there's a LOT of good stuff in there.  The Three Brothers's stuff is kind of a go-between of the styles.  More flashy, but still realistic.

It's like lucha vs strong style vs memphis wrasslin. 

18 minutes ago, Control said:

@J.T. Not seeing the 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

A careless omission on my part.. 

There is enough gravity defying stuff in the 36 Chambers movies and the Brave Archer trilogy for me to place them into the Wire Fu category.

It's hard to draw a clear line of delineation, though.  Nearly all old school Kung-Fu movie have some level of wire work in them (what is a Kung-Fu movie without Qinggong masters leaping ninety feet into the air?), but some clearly have more wire work than others.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Control said:

You are also missing PEKING OPERA BLUES this is shameful.

He wanted a starter list, so that is what I gave him.

I don't think he has hours in the day to watch every single Wire-Fu movie I thought was worth seeing.

4 minutes ago, ivpvideos said:

Thanks to Moviepass and some free time I went to see Truth or Dare. Ok enough movie that was saved by the ending which is so dark and disturbing. 

Yeah, I am going to check that out soon and post a short review in the Horror Movie thread.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

He wanted a starter list, so that is what I gave him.

I don't think he has hours in the day to watch every single Wire-Fu movie I thought was worth seeing.

I cluck my tongue at you, sir!

Watched the first half of TOUCH OF ZEN. The protagonist is an underachieving scholar, which is def something I can get behind.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ivpvideos said:

Thanks to Moviepass and some free time I went to see Truth or Dare. Ok enough movie that was saved by the ending which is so dark and disturbing. 

Workshopping a Madonna joke. Haven’t gotten it just right yet. 

I finished TOUCH OF ZEN and it was glorious. One of those films where it's hard not to say something trite like "a sumptuous feast for the eyes" or something but really it's works like it that those phrases were created for. Liked it even more than COME DRINK WITH ME and am now very excited to check out DRAGON INN and maybe even that LEGEND OF THE MOUNTAIN one.

• Like 1