DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

20 minutes ago, Victator said:

So is there any reason Xavier Woods could not be 205 Champion? He has to be in the weight class and New Day would help the show and get other guys over. 

According to the always correct Wikipedia, he’s right at 205, but that also has him weighing less than Kofi, which seems off.  I feel like Woods has bulked up a good bit.

I don't think it matters provided he does not look giant on the show. I think Eric Young would be perfect as champion, he could do what Enzo was doing except he can wrestle and is not a gross tumor of a human. 

I don't think Cedric Alexander is cutting it. How do you get excited for Cedric Alexander vs Buddy Murphy? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

I like how he'd full-on stopped giving a shit about the gimmick by that point. How soon was it before the New Blackjacks came around?

Barry was trying to trick Vince because he hated being the Stalker. So he was gradually dropping the camo and added his old wrestling boots. Vince confronted him one day and said "What are you doing?". Barry said he hated the gimmick and Vince came up with the New Blackjacks. Who i think were a good team, but not for the WWF. 

I think if they had did normal Barry Windham and Bradshaw as a team, they would have been more successful. The initial vignettes were confusing, it really sounded like it was going to be Mulligan and Lanza, who were ancient even in 1997. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Victator said:

I don't think it matters provided he does not look giant on the show. I think Eric Young would be perfect as champion, he could do what Enzo was doing except he can wrestle and is not a gross tumor of a human. 

I don't think Cedric Alexander is cutting it. How do you get excited for Cedric Alexander vs Buddy Murphy? 

I'll have someone come explain.

@Kyuubi

2 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Yes! I can remember all three started out as name, nickname before eventually being dropped to just nickname.

Same with the Bulldog when he returned. He was billed as "The British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith when he first returned as a singles act.

56 minutes ago, Goodear said:

He wasn't... at his best.

8a6bcee6377f644ee39ca6fbbdceb305.jpg

I miss that Madison Square Garden entrance and WWF/E putting on a PPV at the Garden every two years: WrestleMania X, Survivor Series 1996, SummerSlam 1998, Royal Rumble 2000, Survivor Series 2002 and WrestleMania XX.

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Fire breathing looks pretty bad ass. I would love to learn how to do it. I was annoyed that Steamboat's prior run was ignored, though.

I loved Piper calling out Vince on commentary for trying to ignore that Saba Simba was Tony Atlas, with Vince trying to cover about how Atlas got in touch with his roots or some shit.

JJ Dillon says that he came up with the name Saba Simba. Vince had the gimmick in mind for Atlas but couldn't come up with the name. JJ had been on safari a couple of years before that and learned a little Swahili. He said that "Saba Simba" means "Seven Lions" in Swahili and it didn't really have any deeper meaning, the phrase just rolled off the tongue due to the alliteration. JJ also said he came up with the name for Yokozuna. He loved sumo wrestling and Vince wanted to give Rodney A'noai a sumo gimmick. JJ suggested they call him Yokozuna which, he admits is a bit silly because it'd be like the Japanese calling an American wrestler, "Super Bowl" or "Stanley Cup" but no one here would know the difference.

Doesn't really work in the context of wrestling, does it? Unless he was gonna disguise himself as a ring post or the mat.

I remember when they were running the Goldust vignettes around that time me and my dad couldn't believe it was 'the cowboy from WCW' in the role

• Like 1