DVDVR Message Board

Bruno Sammartino has died

RIPPA

24 minutes ago, Rick said:

If HBO are looking to do another documentary about wrestling, look no further. He carried a territory on his back for god knows how long. 

Good point. I'm from the northeast, so for basically anyone I've spoken with that's 50+ and grew up watching wrestling, the two touchstones they mention are invariably Bruno and Gorilla.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Rick said:

If HBO are looking to do another documentary about wrestling, look no further. He carried a territory on his back for god knows how long. A true hero in every sense of the word. They don't make them like Bruno anymore.

Wasn't someone doing a doc on him a few years back? I know they went to the trouble of flying him out to his old village in Italy for some footage...

I interviewed Bruno back in 1991 at a wrestling fan convention outside of NYC (anyone else there?), and my interview was posted on the old DVDVR site before the great crash.  Due to the magic of the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, you can read it here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050406100904/http://www.deathvalleydriver.com:80/Benaka/Sammartino.html

Cheers, Lee

• Like 6

That's probably the first Bruno match I've seen in full. A couple things:

1. Who would've ever believed Superstar outlived Bruno? 

2. It's great seeing them pop the crowd while doing the very least work possible. Despite his rep, Superstar would bump and had great facials. 

3. Gorilla was ENORMOUS. 

RIP Bruno

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'm shocked.  Like everyone else, I expected the guy to live to 100.  I'm amazed that I got to see his last match in person.  RIP.  Without Bruno, there'd be no WWF or WWE and the wrestling world would have been tremendously different.

And that would have been what? The house show loops he did in 87? Or was he active again after that?

2 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

And that would have been what? The house show loops he did in 87? Or was he active again after that?

Wrestling Data has it as:

WWF @ Baltimore
1987/08/29 @ Baltimore Arena in Baltimore, Maryland (United States of America)
Hulk Hogan and Bruno Sammartino defeated King Kong Bundy and One Man Gang

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Courtesy of thehistoryofwwe.com, here is the card:

WWF @ Baltimore, MD – Arena – August 29, 1987 (12,000; sell out)
SD Jones defeated Barry Horowitz
Sika defeated Jerry Allen
Demolition defeated Chavo Guerrero & Sam Houston
WWF Women’s Champion Sensational Sherri defeated the Fabulous Moolah
Butch Reed defeated Superstar Billy Graham
Tito Santana pinned Hercules
The Junkyard Dog defeated Kamala via disqualification
Brutus Beefcake fought Ted Dibiase to a 20-minute time limit draw
WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan & Bruno Sammartino defeated King Kong Bundy & the One Man Gang when Hogan pinned Bundy (Sammartino’s last match)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Courtesy of thehistoryofwwe.com, here is the card:

WWF @ Baltimore, MD – Arena – August 29, 1987 (12,000; sell out)
SD Jones defeated Barry Horowitz
Sika defeated Jerry Allen
Demolition defeated Chavo Guerrero & Sam Houston
WWF Women’s Champion Sensational Sherri defeated the Fabulous Moolah
Butch Reed defeated Superstar Billy Graham
Tito Santana pinned Hercules
The Junkyard Dog defeated Kamala via disqualification
Brutus Beefcake fought Ted Dibiase to a 20-minute time limit draw
WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan & Bruno Sammartino defeated King Kong Bundy & the One Man Gang when Hogan pinned Bundy (Sammartino’s last match)

That's hella dope that the card had Bruno, Superstar and Hogan. Nice little intersection of WWWF/WWF history there.

I had a pleasure to meet him twice and he was a very friendly and kind man.  I was a WWF fan growing up in the 90's and I was obsessed with the WWE title.  Since he was champ before I was born and he held it so long, he came across as a god and still kinda does, to me.  He was the definition of a WWF/E babyface and a man with seemingly infinite integrity.

I have so much to say yet struggle to find how to say it.  Bruno was a basically a God for me.  He was the epitome of what a pro wrestler should be, and he was super classy to boot.  My mom's told me a few times that while she was in labor with me she was watching him on TV.  And before that my parents would go to the arena and watch him.  Heck, if Greek relatives came to town they'd take them there and you know they loved him.  Fast forward to when he got inducted and they had the USA special.  It was pretty cool that while we have a generation gap with what we like in wrestling I could sit with them and watch Bruno talk.  They'd tell me stories and say he was the best they've seen.  And damnit who am I to argue.

I just wish I had some way to meet him, was hoping there was at least some way to get a message across to him somehow.  I just wanted to thank him for being somebody that's been revered in my family for generations and for continuing to be a really class act.  I'm sad knowing I can't say these things (at least not yet, hopeful once I get to the other side) and I'm sadder knowing he's not alive.  RIP Bruno, and thanks.

• Like 1