DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 128: Barboza vs. Lee (4/21/2018) - Atlantic City, NJ (Boardwalk Hall)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC Fight Night 128

UFC Fight Night 128: Barboza vs. Lee 
April 21, 2018
Atlantic City, NJ (Boardwalk Hall)

Edson Barboza (155.5) vs. Kevin Lee (157)* - Lee, TKO (doctor stoppage), R5 (2:18)
Frankie Edgar (145.5) vs. Cub Swanson (145) - Edgar, DEC (unanimous)
Chase Sherman (247) vs. Justin Willis (265.5) - Willis, DEC (unanimous)
David Branch (186) vs. Thiago Santos (186) - Branch, KO (punches), R1 (2:30)
Aljamain Sterling (135) vs. Brett Johns (136) - Sterling, DEC (unanimous)
Jim Miller (155.5) vs. Dan Hooker (155.5) - Hooker, KO (knee), R1 (3:00)

Fox Sports Preliminary Card:
Ryan LaFlare (170.5) vs. Alex Garcia (171) - LaFlare, DEC (unanimous)
Merab Dvalishvili (135) vs. Ricky Simon (136) - Simon, TKO (Dvalishvili ruled unconscious due to technical submission after final round), R3 (5:00)
Siyar Bahadurzada (171) vs. Luan Chagas (170) - Bahadurzada, KO (front kick to the body and right uppercut), R2 (2:40)
Corey Anderson (205) vs. Patrick Cummins (205.5) - Anderson, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Tony Martin (170.5) vs. Keita Nakamura (170.5) - Martin, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Siyar Bahadurzada
Performance of the Night: David Branch
Fight of the Night: Merab Dvalishvili vs. Ricky Simon

Attendance: 9,541
Gate: $923,720
Rating: 956,000 viewers 

Cancelled Bouts:
Paulo Henrique Costa vs. Uriah Hall - Injury to Costa
Merab Dvalishvili vs. Augusto Mendes - Mendes Flagged by USADA for Possible Violation
Leslie Smith vs. Aspen Ladd - Ladd Missed Weight
Magomed Bibulatov vs. Yuta Sasaki - Injury to Bibulatov (Back)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Looking at the main card and Willis vs. Sherman sticks out like a sore thumb from an otherwise awesome lineup. Why is that placed so high on the card?

Yeah, Hail Sabin is pretty much right. Also, they really like Sherman because he's basically Mitrione 2.0 before Mitrione got better going to train in South Florida. I think the Coulter fight was entertaining enough that they are willing to give him a softer touch than Shamil Abdurakhimov, who proved to be clearly leagues above him in terms of talent. I dunno if Willis is squash match material from what I've seen, but we soon shall see.

Looks like the UFC is trying to buy Leslie Smith out of the UFC since she didn't accept the fight with Aspen Ladd. Not that I blame her 100%. Her opponent didn't make weight. In the past, fighters have been able to work out catchweight deals ahead of time to avoid matters such as this. 

Kevin Lee also fails to make weight after all that crap about Dustin Poirier not being championship caliber. At this point, his best hope for a UFC title is that rumor about new weight divisions being added after the new TV deal goes through.

51 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Leslie probably learned from recent history I think UFC fighters that missed weight and still fought are like 6-1 or 6-2 recently. I know at one point it was like 5 or 6 straight wins. 

Not to dump on Invicta, but Ladd also missed weight a couple years ago in Invicta (and subsequently won that fight). I know there is the reason that most fighters don't care enough to make weight in smaller orgs. I mean Henry Cejudo hasn't had half the trouble with making weight inside the UFC as he did outside the UFC. However, you have 3 or 4 people miss weight on damn near every Invicta card. At some point, we're moving into a trend and not lack of motivation.

Tony Martin had a very solid performance against Nakamura. He looks somewhat sharper at 170 than 155.

To the shock of no one, Patrick Cummins is very good at getting beat up. 

Luan Chagas just got melted badly after catching a front kick to the stomach. Did he think this was boxing where the ref automatically steps in when you take a knee to initiate the count?

53 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Apparently, you can call a finish after the fact when the final horn has sounded. That's a first.

The closest thing I remember to something like that was Gray Maynard vs. Rob Emerson.  That wasn't exactly the same, but it was a fight that ended and then had to be discussed for five minutes before anyone knew what the final decision was.

Is Gary Copeland Shawn Sherk's long lost brother?

So, Matt Serra gets to be in the Hall of Fame...I guess.  He's responsible for one of the greatest moments in the history of the sport, but I'm not sure he'd make my personal Hall of Fame.  Good for him though, he's always been a fun personality. 

Is Yves Edwards going in the Hall of Fame? I'd put in Yves before Matt Serra.  

• Like 2

It would be interesting to see what Aljamain can do against a Dominick Cruz. In the Johns fight, he was clearly the better and active striker and clearly the bigger and better grappler. Aljo's problem comes when he doesn't enjoy those advantages and his opponents can force the issue. The style matchup makes me a bit curious.

Marreta's tactics either help him 187 someone in the cage or he gets clipped something fierce. Branch was too good and dropped him with his hands down before putting the coffin nails in.

Instead of fighting each other, Alvarez, Poirier, and Kevin Lee all want in on the Khabib lottery. With so much up in the air, someone is going to have to fight at least one more time and get another marquee name on their resume.

I'd rank their chances of beating Khabib like so: Lee, Poirier, Alvarez. Lee's athleticism and wrestling match up well with Khabib's, or at least closer than anybody else's. I still gotta believe that they're doing their damndest to make Khabib vs. Conor happen while the iron is hot. You can do title eliminators with the above three and Ferguson. Conor wants that really big boat, man. A huge fight with Khabib would make that a reality.

• Like 1

Kevin Lee looked outstanding tonight. Almost can't believe he was able to tough out that spinning back kick. Definitely his best career performance so far. No problem with the stoppage. The result would've been the same either way.

I don't see him beating Khabib, but there are few on the roster I foresee doing as such other than Tony Ferguson.