DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 29: Poirier vs. Gaethje (4/14/2018) - Glendale, AZ (Gila River Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC-Glendale-Poster-UFC-on-FOX-29.jpg

UFC on Fox 29: Poirier vs. Gaethje 
April 14, 2018
Glendale, AZ (Gila River Arena)

Dustin Poirier (156) vs. Justin Gaethje (156) - Poirier, TKO (strikes), R4 (0:33)
Carlos Condit (171) vs. Alex Oliveira (171) - Oliveira, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (3:17)
Israel Adesanya (184) vs. Marvin Vettori (186) - Adesanya, DEC (split)
Michelle Waterson (115) vs. Cortney Casey (115) - Waterson, DEC (split)

Fox Preliminary Card:
Tim Boetsch (185) vs. Antônio Carlos Júnior (185) - Carlos Júnior, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (4:28)
Muslim Salikhov (171) vs. Ricky Rainey (170) - Salikhov, KO (punches), R2 (4:12)
Wilson Reis (125) vs. John Moraga (126) - Moraga, DEC (unanimous)
Krzysztof Jotko (185.5) vs. Brad Tavares (186) - Tavares, TKO (punches), R2 (3:16)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Gilbert Burns (156) vs. Dan Moret (156) - Burns, KO (punch), R2 (0:59)
Shana Dobson (126) vs. Lauren Mueller (126) - Mueller, DEC (unanimous)
Dhiego Lima (171) vs. Yushin Okami (170) - Okami, DEC (unanimous)
Arjan Bhullar (241) vs. Adam Wieczorek (232) - Wieczorek, SUB (omoplata), R2 (1:59)
Matthew Lopez (136) vs. Alejandro Pérez (136) - Pérez, TKO (strikes), R2 (3:42)
Luke Sanders (135) vs. Patrick Williams (136) - Sanders, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Adam Wieczorek
Performance of the Night: Alex Oliveira
Fight of the Night: Dustin Poirier vs. Justin Gaethje

Attendance: 11,382
Gate: $1,085,712
Rating: 2.02 million viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
Abdul Razak Alhassan vs. Muslim Salikhov - Injury to Alhassan
Matt Brown vs. Carlos Condit - Injury to Brown (Torn ACL)    

That 4 fight Big Fox card is sneaky great. Casey is always in a good fight and Karate Hottie is an interesting match up for her. Adesanya vs. Vettori is two prospects fighting each other and if Adesanya can great another flashy KO then the hype train will be behind. Then the co main event and main event are the front runners for fight of the night honors. The big upset would be if somehow either of those fights turn out bad. 

Yeah, this is some good shit. Poirier is probably the better strategist (marginally) and technical fighter but Gaethje is a zombie and has a tendency to pull guys into brawls. Poirier should follow Alvarez's strategy and keep it at the jab and leg kick range for the most part to emphasize technique over heart and chin. 

Vettori is no layup for Adesanya but Israel is must see TV so I'm all in for that one.

As Sabin said, Casey is in entertaining fights because she's scrappy as hell and, again, I think size will be a problem for Waterson. Waterson should absolutely be the star of UFC's 105 lb division, so I hope that rumour is true.

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:16 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

We're about to see how mentally checked in or out Condit is. Oliveira in some ways is a tougher fight.

Yeah, shame to see what's happened to Carlos Condit since he lost that epic fight to Robbie Lawler by split decision at UFC 195: Lawler vs. Condit. I scored the fight for Carlos. If I had my way, an immediate rematch straight away.

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Yeah, shame to see what's happened to Carlos Condit since he lost that epic fight to Robbie Lawler by split decision at UFC 195: Lawler vs. Condit. I scored the fight for Carlos. If I had my way, an immediate rematch straight away.

Scorecards from the instant classic:

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/6727/Robbie-Lawler-vs-Carlos-Condit

Phil Baroni was still in the UFC in 2011?! Stunning. Hold up, wait a minute. Baroni is only 41?! God, I guess it was the HGH that made him look like he was 35 when he was really in his early 20s way back when. 

• Like 2

Michelle Waterson is still undersized for 115 and she doesn't respond well getting hit by the bigger fighters but she is able to make up for that in heart. Incredible fight.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Michelle Waterson is still undersized for 115 and she doesn't respond well getting hit by the bigger fighters but she is able to make up for that in heart. Incredible fight.

That was such a great, great fight! You really could see Casey's shortcomings and strengths all in one fight. Waterson needs that atomweight division badly. Way too much size to give up even though she's become a really good wrestler all things considering, taking down Casey and Torres in her last two fights. And that kick that sent Casey backwards at the end of round 2. Perfection.

• Like 3

Obviously the general consensus was that Gaethje would eventually succumb to the flaws of his style due to the sizable increase in the talent of his opposition. However, it's not like he doesn't have a chance to win these fights and that's somehow crazier even if he is 1-2 overall. I don't think it's him fighting down to the level of his opponent or vice versa, but his toughness is otherworldly and he can only go forward. The problem here is when you decide to have a fight of the year contender every time out, you leave yourself open enough that anyone who can crack is going to land a good one flush you didn't see coming. Those are the ones that hurt the most.

• Like 1

Catching up on the main event and holy shit, this is everything I thought we'd see with Gaethje in the UFC. Just porous, shit defence matched with an iron skull. Poirier hit Gaethje with an absurd amount of shots to Gaethje's dome. Gaethje is just so wild in everything BUT his leg kicks, which are next level, and a decent but inconsistent jab. What an awesome fight! One of the best and it exceeded the hype.

It's almost like trading 3-5 significant head shots for one leg strike doesn't work out most of the time.

• Haha 2

Carlos Condit mentally checked out of MMA since the Lawler fight, and he never came back. He's just fighting for the paycheck to help with his side businesses selling micro-brew coffee and medical equipment.

I'm fine if they want to give Poirier a title shot, whether it means it gets destroyed by Khabib or not. Poirier has definitely earned it. Been a fan ever since his WEC days.

• Like 1

I think Casey vs. Waterson will get forgotten with everyone remembering the main event insanity but it was a hell of a fight and seemed like a female version of Thatch vs. Henderson. 

The main event lived up to the hype and delivered. Justin in the future will have to add more wrestling in his gameplan but 3 fights 3 FOTN bonuses.