DVDVR Message Board

2018 - 2019 NCAA BASKETBALL SEASON THREAD

RIPPA

38 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

This man is 285 pounds and there is no way the laws of physics should allow this:

Also, Fuck Duke forever and ever.

Must be that thin Canadian air...

I usually don't give a fuck about NCAA regular season basketball but, and as much as I hate to say this, Duke is going to be fun this year. Zion's second jump for his own putback jam after doing the MJ mid-flight adjusted finger roll was so quick and high! Guy is going to be something special. Then they have RJ Barrett too.

53 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I usually don't give a fuck about NCAA regular season basketball but, and as much as I hate to say this, Duke is going to be fun this year. Zion's second jump for his own putback jam after doing the MJ mid-flight adjusted finger roll was so quick and high! Guy is going to be something special. Then they have RJ Barrett too.

And ANOTHER potential top five pick freshman to go with them.

• 3 weeks later...

Loyola follows up their historic Final Four run with an impressive non-conference schedule.

I'm kidding of course.

Maryland is the only Power 5 school who consented to play them (a one-off in Baltimore), and they were reduced to scheduling D-II school Benedictine just to fill out dates in December. That'll teach them to succeed!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2018 at 4:19 AM, Pete said:

Loyola follows up their historic Final Four run with an impressive non-conference schedule.

I'm kidding of course.

Maryland is the only Power 5 school who consented to play them (a one-off in Baltimore), and they were reduced to scheduling D-II school Benedictine just to fill out dates in December. That'll teach them to succeed!

Gonzaga went through this for years. Washington, an in-state rival, refused to play home-and-home series with them because "they were not a big enough school". Despite being the best program in the state.

It sucks that Loyola did not get into one of the main pre-season tournaments. Hopefully they can have another great season, and ESPN will get behind them, helping them arrange some better matchups.

3 hours ago, Dewar said:

Gonzaga went through this for years. Washington, an in-state rival, refused to play home-and-home series with them because "they were not a big enough school". Despite being the best program in the state.

It sucks that Loyola did not get into one of the main pre-season tournaments. Hopefully they can have another great season, and ESPN will get behind them, helping them arrange some better matchups.

Same for Witcha State never getting to play KU or KSU.

6 hours ago, muhammedboehm said:

Same for Witcha State never getting to play KU or KSU.

Illinois didn't step inside Peoria for 63 years, and us beating them in Vegas a few years back pretty much guaranteed we wouldn't get a return date any time soon.

Shareef O'Neal - Shaq's kid - will miss the entire season due to a heart ailment.

He is going to have heart surgery.

It appears that the folks at UCLA caught it super earlier and that he should be able to fully recover for next year (obviously he is redshirting)

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Kansas is YOUR Pre-season #1.  

@Beech27 is leaping for joy.

Hey, if we're gonna vacate anyway, might as well win it all. (Or, y'know, lose in the round of 32, as this team's armada of bigs falls to a four guard lineup that gets hot from three.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm having a hard time buying into the hype with KU this year.  They have a lot of talent, but their guard rotation is so incredibly young and young guards tend to struggle with Self's offense.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Virginia Tech beat NC State 47-24

That's in basketball. Not football

As far as anyone that is the lowest point total for a ranked team in the shot clock era

State shot 16.7% which is by far their worst shooting percentage in school history

In case you are wondering - the lowest total by any team in the shot clock era is 20 (which GW had against Saint Louis in 2008)