DVDVR Message Board

General thoughts about the lucha set

Phil Schneider

disk one rankings:

1. MS-1 vs. Sangre Chicana (9/23/83)2. Espectro Jr., Satanico y MS-1 vs. Mocho Cota, Sangre Chicana y La Fiera (9/30/83)3. Sangre Chicana vs. Ringo Mendoza (10/28/83)4. Atlantis y El Hijo del Santo vs. Fuerza Guerrera y Lobo Rubio (11/25/83)5. El Canek vs. Don Corleone (2/14/82)6. Kevin von Erich, Mascara Ano 2000 y Halcon Ortiz v. Coloso Colosetti, Pirata Morgan y Herodes (9/23/83)7. Satoru Sayama y Gran Hamada vs. Perro Aguayo y Baby Face (4/13/80)8. Andre the Giant & Cien Caras vs. Alfonso Dantes, Herodes y Sangre Chicana (1981)9. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. El Canek (6/12/83)10. Centurion Negro vs. Gran Hamada (2/14/82)

Very good first disk; gonna be hard to unseat my number one this early.  Since the MS1/Chicana match the quality match after match has been off the charts.  The stuff before it was good and all but from then on you really get what you expect from what is the 80s lucha set.  We'll how many people if anyone rank that Andre match higher than me as I seem the be the only one who enjoyed it much.

Disc 1 ranking:

• MS-1 vs. Sangre Chicana (9/23/83)
  • Atlantis y El Hijo del Santo vs. Fuerza Guerrera y Lobo Rubio (11/25/83)
  • Tatsumi Fujinami vs. El Canek (6/12/83)
  • Centurion Negro vs. Gran Hamada (2/14/82)
  • El Canek vs. Don Corleone (2/14/82)
  • Sangre Chicana vs. Ringo Mendoza (10/28/83)
  • Satoru Sayama y Gran Hamada vs. Perro Aguayo y Baby Face (4/13/80)
  • Kevin von Erich, Mascara Ano 2000 y Halcon Ortiz v. Coloso Colosetti, Pirata Morgan y Herodes (9/23/83)
  • Espectro Jr., Satanico y MS-1 vs. Mocho Cota, Sangre Chicana y La Fiera (9/30/83)
  • Andre the Giant & Cien Caras vs. Alfonso Dantes, Herodes y Sangre Chicana (1981)

Overall it was a really good way to start a set as it had a little bit of everything in it.  Really whet my appetite for the rest of the set. 

Have to agree with Tim about MS1/Chicana setting the mark for other matches to beat.  My money is Dandy or Satanico being the guy to do it.

Very good first disk; gonna be hard to unseat my number one this early.  Since the MS1/Chicana match the quality match after match has been off the charts.  The stuff before it was good and all but from then on you really get what you expect from what is the 80s lucha set.  We'll how many people if anyone rank that Andre match higher than me as I seem the be the only one who enjoyed it much.

I enjoyed it a ton enough to use a personal pick on the match. Tons of hypocrisy regarding Andre when it comes to that match. 

Disc 1 rankings1.) MS-1 vs. Sangre Chicana (9/23/83)2.) Espectro Jr., Satanico y MS-1 vs. Mocho Cota, Sangre Chicana y La Fiera (9/30/83)

3.) Atlantis y El Hijo del Santo vs. Fuerza Guerrera y Lobo Rubio (11/25/83)

4.) Satoru Sayama y Gran Hamada vs. Perro Aguayo y Baby Face (4/13/80)5.) Sangre Chicana vs. Ringo Mendoza (10/28/83)6.) Centurion Negro vs. Gran Hamada (2/14/82)7.) Kevin von Erich, Mascara Ano 2000 y Halcon Ortiz v. Coloso Colosetti, Pirata Morgan y Herodes (9/23/83)8.) El Canek vs. Don Corleone (2/14/82)9.) Andre the Giant & Cien Caras vs. Alfonso Dantes, Herodes y Sangre Chicana (1981)10.) Tatsumi Fujinami vs. El Canek (6/12/83)Pretty damn good disc. I don't hate the bottom 3 matches and they each had moments I thought were fun but they didn't really add up to compelling wholes. I could easily see them close to the bottom of my ballot in the end. If those end up being the three worst matches on the set then this set is looking pretty good. Other than MS-1 vs Sangre Chicana which probably won't have more than a few matches I rank above it, if any, it's pretty hard to guess where these matches would end up in a top 100.That Santo match from his retirement tour at El Toreo de Cuatro Caminos looked awesome in highlight form.

Wiki said that MS-1 was part of a group with a MS-2 and the idea was that they were masked anti-terrorist officers or something("MS refers to a Mexican Antiterrorist corps where MS-1 is the highest rank."). Was that a rudo gimmick? Was it like the State Patrol? 

Kevin only worked as part of an exchange with World Class as they got Perro Aguayo & Fishman for their June Star Wars show

Chris Adams too. Also, they weren't the original ones EMLL wanted. It's slipping my mind now as to who the original guys were but the World Class guys were a last second deal. (I think this was when Flair came to Mexico and immediatly went home due to money issues)

Do we know how Mocha Cota lost his fingers?

EDIT: I will also accept a kayfabe answer.

The "story" is he was a tough dude who was hung with a bad crowd in his younger days and got caught up in drug deals and such. This is why he went to jail for a short time early on and again later in his life. The theory is his fingers being cut off was a message being sent to whatever gang he was in at the time. You can take this as kayfabe or legit. Personally I buy it since the jail sentences were real and cutting off fingers is exactly what you'd do to send a message to a rival gang.

Wiki said that MS-1 was part of a group with a MS-2 and the idea was that they were masked anti-terrorist officers or something("MS refers to a Mexican Antiterrorist corps where MS-1 is the highest rank."). Was that a rudo gimmick? Was it like the State Patrol?

This one I don't know but you bringing up State Patrol reminded me of a magazine article I recently saw from November 1989 where it was said The Southern Boys (Smothers/Armstrong) were making their UWA debut the following week. I guess something must have fallen through but I figured people on this board would mark out over that tidbit. I can upload the scan if anyone wants to read it.

Do we know how Mocha Cota lost his fingers?EDIT: I will also accept a kayfabe answer.

The "story" is he was a tough dude who was hung with a bad crowd in his younger days and got caught up in drug deals and such. This is why he went to jail for a short time early on and again later in his life. The theory is his fingers being cut off was a message being sent to whatever gang he was in at the time. You can take this as kayfabe or legit. Personally I buy it since the jail sentences were real and cutting off fingers is exactly what you'd do to send a message to a rival gang.

Thanks. That's even better than I could have imagined. For me of course, not for him.

disk two rankings:

1. Mocho Cota vs. Americo Rocca (1/27/84)2. Solar, Ultraman y Super Astro vs. Sergio El Hermoso, Bello Greco y Rudy Reyna (2/26/84)3. Atlantis vs. El Satanico (1984)4. Hijo del Santo, Ringo Mendoza y Chamaco Valaguez vs. Jerry Estrada, Fuerza Guerrera y Talisman (3/9/84)5. Lizmark vs. El Satanico (April 1984)6. Mocho Cota vs. Americo Rocca (2/3/84)7. Tony Salazar vs. Herodes (3/2/84)8. El Faraón, Herodes y Mocho Cota vs. Lizmark, Ringo Mendoza y Tony Salazar (2/24/84)9. Enrique Vera vs. Dos Caras (2/26/84)10. Atlantis y Lizmark vs. El Egipcio y El Faraón (2/17/84)11. Jerry Estrada vs. Ultraman (3/2/84) 

Disc two rankings:

• Mocho Cota vs. Americo Rocca (1/27/84)
  • Mocho Cota vs. Americo Rocca (2/3/84)
  • Atlantis vs. El Satanico (1984)
  • Lizmark vs. El Satanico (April 1984)
  • Tony Salazar vs. Herodes (3/2/84)
  • Enrique Vera vs. Dos Caras (2/26/84)
  • Jerry Estrada vs. Ultraman (3/2/84)
  • Hijo del Santo, Ringo Mendoza y Chamaco Valaguez vs. Jerry Estrada, Fuerza Guerrera y Talisman (3/9/84)
  • Solar, Ultraman y Super Astro vs. Sergio El Hermoso, Bello Greco y Rudy Reyna (2/26/84)
  • El Faraón, Herodes y Mocho Cota vs. Lizmark, Ringo Mendoza y Tony Salazar (2/24/84)
  • Atlantis y Lizmark vs. El Egipcio y El Faraón (2/17/84)

I just wanted to give everybody a heads up about the order of matches on the third disc. This is the order they are appearing in on my disc:

Satanico vs. Shiro Koshinaka (Hair vs. Hair) (7/30/84)

El Satanico y Espectro Jr. v. El Faraón y La Fiera (8/12/84)

Gran Cochise vs. Satanico (9/14/84)

Sangre Chicana vs. MS-1 (Hair vs. Hair) (9/21/84)

Villano III vs. Perro Aguayo (10/7/84)

Satanico vs. Super Astro (10/26/84)

Javier Cruz, Impacto y Solar II vs. El Dandy, Franco Colombo y Panico (10/84)

Perro Aguayo vs. Sangre Chicana vs. El Faraón vs. Villano III (Elimination Match) (10/84)

Atlantis, Ringo Mendoza y Tony Salazar vs. El Satanico, MS-1 y Espectro Jr. (9/28/84)

The menus however are still labeled as if the matches are in chronological order so if you click on Atlantis, Ringo Mendoza y Tony Salazar vs. El Satanico, MS-1 y Espectro Jr. (9/28/84) then Villano III vs. Perro Aguayo (10/7/84) will play.

Disc three rankings:

• Gran Cochise vs. Satanico (9/14/84)
  • Satanico vs. Super Astro (10/26/84)
  • Satanico vs. Shiro Koshinaka (Hair vs. Hair) (7/30/84)
  • Sangre Chicana vs. MS-1 (Hair vs. Hair) (9/21/84)
  • Villano III vs. Perro Aguayo (10/7/84)
  • Javier Cruz, Impacto y Solar II vs. El Dandy, Franco Colombo y Panico (10/84)
  • Atlantis, Ringo Mendoza y Tony Salazar vs. El Satanico, MS-1 y Espectro Jr. (9/28/84)
  • El Satanico y Espectro Jr. v. El Faraón y La Fiera (8/12/84)
  • Perro Aguayo vs. Sangre Chicana vs. El Faraón vs. Villano III (Elimination Match) (10/84)

This disc was of two extremes for me.  I really dug the top four but found the rest to be a bit of a chore to watch.