DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Still, I think when you look at this, you can see a path for the Cano deal will make a lot of sense. All he needs is to have two of the greatest seasons ever, two or three renaissances and a way to provide value when he’s no contributing in other ways. All he needs is the second half of Joe Morgan’s career.

- Pos

I love it. The more players that get signed by other teams, the more pissed off the social media Cubs fanbase gets. It's like they've completely ignored the fact that Choo, Tanaka, and Price are the real targets the Cubs are looking at.

3 years is a bit much for Beltran, but he was being offered that by other teams as well. The Yankees have made some good additions so far. Ellsbury, McCann and Beltran should easily offset (if not eclipse) what they would have gotten from Cano had he stuck around. Are they just gonna roll with Kelly Johnson at 2B or is there somebody else on the team I am forgetting about?

3/45. The Yankees now have six outfielders under contract - guessing they eat Wells' contract and try to trade Gardner for pitching.

The Yankees don't have to eat any of Vernon Wells contract b/c the Angels are still paying him. They were just so desparate to dump him last year.

3 years is a bit much for Beltran, but he was being offered that by other teams as well. The Yankees have made some good additions so far. Ellsbury, McCann and Beltran should easily offset (if not eclipse) what they would have gotten from Cano had he stuck around. Are they just gonna roll with Kelly Johnson at 2B or is there somebody else on the team I am forgetting about?

According to MLB Network and WFAN, the Yankees are looking into Omar Infante.

I don't think you guys realize how desperate the Mariners are. Attendance is plummeting year after year after year and this city is starting to care less and less. I honestly think if you surveyed people up here right now, over 70% would not give a shit if the franchise were to move. The soccer team up here is more popular than the Mariners are. 

That bad? I left Seattle in 2007 and they were still doing the laughable promotion of a losing team with "You gotta love these guys!", No, no I don't. I like to see competitive teams, not a bunch of good-natured clowns.  If I want to see that, I'll go to the circus.

Never forget, all it takes is one team who is either a) desperate or  b ) stupid or c) both. . . .over/under on years before they regret this deal? I go 2.5 . . .

If you're talking about the Cano deal, it isn't as stupid as it looks at first. Baseball is a business, you have to put meat in the seats. If Cano draws back the fans that the M's have been losing for years of stupid deals, it's worth it in the short term. If they can find someone to hit behind him not named Raul Ibanez, they could be a threat. Certainly a six-year deal would have made a lot more sense since you're talking about a position where speed is essential and while I know "speed never slumps", it does age, and age badly at that. The last guy to play 2nd at 40 years old was probably Eddie Collins. There's a reason for that. The M's have a quality 2nd baseman for 5-6 years and then they have a grotesquely overpaid DH.

I don't think you guys realize how desperate the Mariners are. Attendance is plummeting year after year after year and this city is starting to care less and less. I honestly think if you surveyed people up here right now, over 70% would not give a shit if the franchise were to move. The soccer team up here is more popular than the Mariners are. 

That bad? I left Seattle in 2007 and they were still doing the laughable promotion of a losing team with "You gotta love these guys!", No, no I don't. I like to see competitive teams, not a bunch of good-natured clowns.  If I want to see that, I'll go to the circus.

Attendance figures by year since you left:

2007: 2,672,409

2008: 2,329,702

2009: 2,195,284

2010: 2,085,630

2011: 1,896,321

2012: 1,791,920

2013: 1,761,546

Attendance figures by year since you left:

2007: 2,672,409

2008: 2,329,702

2009: 2,195,284

2010: 2,085,630

2011: 1,896,321

2012: 1,791,920

2013: 1,761,546

Holy shit! That's terrible. The team can leave, then Seattle can sue MLB and get another shitty expansion team... Oh, wait...

3/45. The Yankees now have six outfielders under contract - guessing they eat Wells' contract and try to trade Gardner for pitching.

The Yankees don't have to eat any of Vernon Wells contract b/c the Angels are still paying him. They were just so desparate to dump him last year.

The Angels are paying *most* of it - NYY is still on the hook for $3M. Actually less than Toronto is still paying, which is hilarious.

There was a report from this morning that said Arizona was in the running for Beltran. Kevin Towers is a fucking moron.

The Angels are paying *most* of it - NYY is still on the hook for $3M. Actually less than Toronto is still paying, which is hilarious.

There was a report from this morning that said Arizona was in the running for Beltran. Kevin Towers is a fucking moron.

The NYY make $3 million in peanut sales. What's hilarious is Toronto is still paying this choad, as you said. I can't think of too many players who have made more for doing less than Vernon Wells. Good on him for that.

The Yanks are shopping Ichiro and listening to offers on Brett Gardner - so clearly it looks like one of them is going to be dealt.

Obviously Gardner would bring more back in return but who the fuck knows

The Yanks are shopping Ichiro and listening to offers on Brett Gardner - so clearly it looks like one of them is going to be dealt.

Who will overpay for a 40-year old leadoff hitter? Someone needs to step up and give Ichiro a 2-yr deal so he can get his 3000. (Yes, I know that when you count his Japan stats he has way over that mark, but it would be kind of cool to see him compile 3000 in MLB)

I doubt that Arizona would listen to offers for him and he's under contract until 2016, but I'd love to see the Yankees try and make a trade for second baseman Aaron Hill. Maybe offer some combination of Brett Gardner, Eduardo Nunez and either Francisco Cervelli or Austin Romine.

Happy Start of Winter Meetings Day!

So what is everyone looking for their team to do or does anyone have any predictions?

For me, I'm hoping the Cubs trade Shark and get more back for him than the Tigers received for Fister.

I'd also like to see the Cubs pick up Michael Morse, Gavin Floyd, or both.

Avoid Tanaka. Yeah, avoid Tanaka. I'm worried about what kind of condition his arm is in after the mileage he picked up this past season.

And bold prediction: Cubs complete a stupid lowball trade for Giancarlo Stanton and the 4 Marlins fans left are then reduced to 2.