DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Does this mean the cycle is lurching back toward suburban stadiums after 20 years of downtown ones?

The one time we went to Fed Ex, we took a bus from the Metro to the stadium. Or close to it, i believe the Danny has rules about vehicle access and how close you can get without bing an official partner or such.

Unlike the ease of the Metro letting you out right by RFK...

Apparently the Cards are asking around on everyone's young good shortstops as they are apparently asking the Rockies about Tulowitzki and the Rangers about both Elvis and Jurickson.

What Yahoo is reporting is that any Cards deal would start with Matt Adams and Shelby Miller and then whatever other flotsam and jetsam they have to add.

There's also been rumors about the Cards having interest in Starlin Castro. 

I'd like to see them take their time.  They really only need "an infielder." they have holes at short and 3rd, and I'd be happy if they filled either one, but they can be fliexible and get a 2nd basemen even,  since Carpenter can play anywhere, Descalso isn't so bad, and Kozma is fine at short if they actually get a bat at either 2nd or third.

They just need one bat.  it can't be Carpenter/Kozma/Descalso, but it can be ani two of those plus, like, a man.

Going for the SS who can hit is the most expensive (in terms of who you give up) way to go, no? 

so with the Braves moving to Cobb County, the Turner Field site is probably on a top 10 for best expansion locations if MLB goes to 32. Which says a lot for the quality of expansion options and why nobody is really talking about expansion

(my serious expansion top 10: Charlotte, Buffalo, Indianapolis, Nashville, Portland, Durham, New Orleans, San Antonio, Orlando, Montreal. Such a weak list. Maybe Salt Lake City could be added. Las Vegas won't be added because of the stigma and logistics)

Apparently the Cards are asking around on everyone's young good shortstops as they are apparently asking the Rockies about Tulowitzki and the Rangers about both Elvis and Jurickson.

What Yahoo is reporting is that any Cards deal would start with Matt Adams and Shelby Miller and then whatever other flotsam and jetsam they have to add.

There's also been rumors about the Cards having interest in Starlin Castro. 

If we can even get one of their top 5 prospects for Castro, I do the deal running.

There are also rumors that the deal isn't even done yet, and that *no one* has any idea where this $450M in mystery funding is coming from - not even the people with Cobb County.

It's happening. Atlanta mayor Kasim Reed is trying to save face. 

so with the Braves moving to Cobb County, the Turner Field site is probably on a top 10 for best expansion locations if MLB goes to 32. Which says a lot for the quality of expansion options and why nobody is really talking about expansion

(my serious expansion top 10: Charlotte, Buffalo, Indianapolis, Nashville, Portland, Durham, New Orleans, San Antonio, Orlando, Montreal. Such a weak list. Maybe Salt Lake City could be added. Las Vegas won't be added because of the stigma and logistics)

I would think Orlando getting a team would be kind of farfetched- Miami's become a quagmire, and Tampa's struggling to get the crowds even though they're a good team now. 

Atlanta won't get a second team- when you combine how successful the teams are with the current cities- if any area gets a second team right now, I'd put money on the second team going to New England (Boston's the biggest drawing one-team city, and it really isn't even close.) 

The fact that there's still two teams in Florida, let alone one, is a miracle. MLB would move those franchises if they could, no worries there.

The only places where two more teams would work out would be places like Nashville/Memphis (they would have to choose one) and then deciding to add a second Dallas team (which is as dubious as a second Atlanta team) OR having a team in Sacramento if the A's finally move, which would put a team in a Top 20 market that actually likes their baseball (always amongst the highest drawing teams in the minors). Yeah, Atlanta is the #8 market, but you can see from their fan distribution map that moving the team there is the best thing they can do for their market. Adding a second team would just be ridiculous.

Oh yeah - it's that time of the year where baseball writers decide they really need to be the moral police again.

John Maffei left Yasiel Puig off his ROY Ballot so he could vote for the Padres Jeff Gyorko (not surprising that Maffei covers the Padres for the San Diego Union-Tribune)

Maffei said he realized Puig would finish strongly in the voting. He said his third-place vote was not about rejecting Puig but about rewarding Gyorko.

“A second baseman hit 23 home runs and played great defense,” Maffei said. “Maybe Puig’s antics were in the back of my mind, but I really think the guy [Gyorko] deserved a third-place vote. I just felt he deserved it, not that Puig didn’t.”

Gyorko got two votes for third place, the other from Jack Magruder of Fox Sports Arizona.

Aka - that was the reason I didn't vote for him

Here's the thing about the voting: the shitheads who didn't vote for Puig and Myers at all aren't going to look like pariahs, like they think - they're going to look like shitheads. When people got up in arms about Law voting Vazquez third in NL Cy instead of Carpenter, at least he backed his shit up without invoking the morality police. A piece of me dies every time someone talks about "his antics"...while you're at it, GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS.