DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

In all honesty, he's the...bench coach?

Isn't bench coach considered a decent stepping-stone job on the way to manager?  It's basically assistant manager.  I think going from AAA manager to bench coach would be considered a promotion.

For those who don't know Renteria, he did have a brief playing career where he went by Rich rather than Rick.  And he managed Mexico in that non-MLB international spring thingee.

I think the whole promotional ladder really depends on the organization. Carlos Tosca is Fredi's bench coach in Atlanta, and he's probably never getting another managerial job again. Third base coach Brian Snitker was "demoted" to the manager of the AAA team for 2014, but that's largely because the development of players in AAA last year was awful and Snitker is good at that.

But when you have guys like Renteria, Martinez, and Lovullo in those positions? Yeah, that's them being groomed for a managerial job in the future. I think a lot of these guys are regarded so highly by their teams that they're only going to leave for the "right" position. And with managers seemingly getting younger and younger, retreads are getting less traction, there's going to be more opportunities for those types of guys than the Baker/Riggleman guys that have already failed in a number of places. 

Dammit, now you got me thinking about the ages of managers in the game today compared to 10/20/30 years ago...

I wouldn't go that far. Perez is only guaranteed $12.5M, which isn't much of anything for that club. Darvish, Holland, Harrison, Perez is a fine foursome, but there are still injury concerns with Harrison considering his back issues. I'd think they'd be more in on Price than Tanaka, but we'll see.

on the topic of bench coaches, KC went from Manager Ned Yost/Bench Coach Chino Cadahia to Yost and bench coach Don Wakamatsu (with Dale Sveum at 3rd). So no idea that the differences will be, if any. But they did surround Ned (who got an extension) with two guys who got fired as managers recently.

Meanwhile in news, I have a strong suspicion that KC will just go "fuck it" and go cheap with their 2014 rotation with the whole hype over Santana aiming for 100M (he'll be lucky to get 70M over his deal). KC is in a weird spot. Moore is a lame duck. So will he have problems getting free agents on multi-year deals? will they feel confident that they wouldn't wind up on a 90-loss team for the end of their multi-year deal?

The standard was set when they didn't extend Moore after 86-76. So They either have to improve on that, or fall short and fire him, or fall short and explain why they're extending him.

I don't even think the Royals will be overly busy in FA. Maybe they'll look at a second-tier veteran SP, and cross their fingers about the health of Duffy/Paulino. If I were them, I'd look to trade some of that bullpen depth - Hochevar will make more than he's worth next year to throw 70ish innings.

Yeah, and if they enter 2014 with Guthrie as a 2, they'll post a losing season.

Also, Paulino is probably gonna need to be non-tendered and brought back for less. Which means he could he nontendered and then sign somewhere else

Then the 2014 rotation is Shields, Guthrie, Wade Davis, Duffy and Ventura. Then they win 78 games

I was going to ask you because another KC fan I know is still super pissed about the deal like his wife cheated on him or something, but how do you feel now, a season later, after seeing Wil Myers get traded off and then becoming the likely RotY?

I was always a skeptic towards the pro-KC side of the trade argument. The trade will look a lot worse in 2015 when James Shields is pitching in Southern California, the Royals are likely losing 90 again, and Wil Myers is posting another all-star season. It was a trade made purely because the Royals employ an outdated philosophy regarding the development of pitching, thus they couldn't develop good young pitching and needed something. Dayton Moore will likely go down with previous Schuerholtz disciples as a failed GM. John Schuerholtz is one of the more overrated GMs in baseball from the development aspect (#1: Bobby Cox had a lot more to do with the Braves run in the 90s than Schuerholtz).

Apparently the Cards are asking around on everyone's young good shortstops as they are apparently asking the Rockies about Tulowitzki and the Rangers about both Elvis and Jurickson.

What Yahoo is reporting is that any Cards deal would start with Matt Adams and Shelby Miller and then whatever other flotsam and jetsam they have to add.

BTW - the Braves have confirmed the move.

Joe or someone from the area can explain it better to me but based on me staring at Google Maps, it appears to be a similar move to what the Redskins did when they left RFK where they are picking an area outside the city and just outside the "Beltway" surrounding the city.

It is terrible for the Skins because traffic is horrific and there is no Metro stop anywhere close to the stadium. Obviously I have no idea what the transportation is like in Atlanta

A local might be able to chime in and add some more context, but friends that live down there are saying that the area where the new stadium will be arguably has *worse* congestion issues than around Turner. There's also *still* no MARTA stop up there, and taxpayers shot down an increase to extend MARTA to Cobb County.

It's all still very preliminary, but this whole situation just looks like a mess. The Atlanta area sure does love blowing money on stadiums, don't they?

I have only been to Turner Field once and that was a field trip during WM Weekend but it didn't seem like the field that was easily accessible by car on a busy night. It was off the interstate which is good but I would think traffic is a nightmare.  No idea about public transportation around the stadium.     Actually seemed similar to the way current Fed Ex field is situated. 

Apparently the Cards are asking around on everyone's young good shortstops as they are apparently asking the Rockies about Tulowitzki and the Rangers about both Elvis and Jurickson.

What Yahoo is reporting is that any Cards deal would start with Matt Adams and Shelby Miller and then whatever other flotsam and jetsam they have to add.

There's also been rumors about the Cards having interest in Starlin Castro. 

A local might be able to chime in and add some more context, but friends that live down there are saying that the area where the new stadium will be arguably has *worse* congestion issues than around Turner. There's also *still* no MARTA stop up there, and taxpayers shot down an increase to extend MARTA to Cobb County.

It's all still very preliminary, but this whole situation just looks like a mess. The Atlanta area sure does love blowing money on stadiums, don't they?

I pulled this out of the Deadspin comments and it is very similar to what your friend said

The new Braves stadium is proposed for one of the WORST traffic-jam prone areas in the state, and has absolutely no public transit access. Voters already shot down a small sales tax hike to fund additional light rail, so it's unlikely any will be added anytime soon.

I live ten minutes from Turner Field, and to put it frankly...it's time. There's a map circulating somewhere that shows where Braves ticket sales are coming from, and the highest density of ticket sale volume is right where the new ballpark is going. The city of Atlanta has repeatedly asked the Braves for bigger cuts of ticket/parking/concession revenue at Turner Field, while being unwilling to assist in any significant way to renovation/update costs at the ballpark. The area where the Braves are moving just opened a performing arts center that is doing really well, and is an area that the Braves ticket base will be much more comfortable walking around and spending money pre/postgame. As far as mass transit goes, MARTA (our rail line) is widely known around the state as not really going anywhere. Its lack of convenience has often been the punchline around here. My best guess is that when the Falcons got their new stadium, Braves' officials decided they were tired of being second banana.