DVDVR Message Board

2018 LUCHA UNDERGROUND THREAD

RIPPA

Well, it was pretty stupid. There were all kinds of weapons hanging on the cage -- wrench, axe, hook and chain as a nod to that Kane movie, shovel, etc. -- and there are small tables with "BOOOOOO" and crap painted on them. And pumpkins in the ring. It doesn't last long with Muertes grabbing a chef's knife and pretending to cut up Mack's head, he hits a moderate blade job that Striker swears is "serious blood loss", and they go home off a pretty big bump. The whole time the sound sweetening sounds like someone hitting a drum machine pad for a snare sample. 

Did Swagger feud with Rey? He faces Aerostar here and it looks like a sloppy, overly short version of that. 

The doll guy stabs somebody to death and blood goes everywhere. Oh yeah and Catrina took out Melissa earlier by smashing her head into a vase. Catrina was particularly, erm, bouncy this evening. 

You wanna talk stupid, that Last Man Standing match was stoooooooopid. It was like Psicosis vs. Mike Awesome in a Tables Match. I know that sounds totally awesome but really, they just break a bunch of tables and Cage takes a bunch of unprotected chair shots. Pentagon bleeds way more of a bucket than Mack did from a broken beer bottle attack. There's an Avalanche Canadian Destroyer through a table in this match. Need I say more? 

Next week is Johnny and Taya's wedding so expect a bunch of hoo ha. Not like this episode hoo ha, like more acting type hoo ha. 

I liked Cage vs Penta. Fun brawl with some sick spots.

Ricky Mundo killing the dude was very cool. This season is a slaughter.

Melissa's acting was L-O-L. Good thing she's pretty.

Skipped cage match because seemed like it would the usual jokey match with props and DeJoseph fed lines to Striker.

• Like 1

Hey, XO Lishus vs. Jack Evans was pretty good! XO's "FUCK. YOU." was emphatic as hell. 

Joey Mercury showing up was funny. "TACOS FOR EVERYOOOOONE" (and them being hard-shell) was funnier. And in the grand tradition of wrestling birthdays, weddings, etc. since time immemorial, somebody goes into the cake. 

On 8/29/2018 at 6:00 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Hey, XO Lishus vs. Jack Evans was pretty good! XO's "FUCK. YOU." was emphatic as hell. 

Joey Mercury showing up was funny. "TACOS FOR EVERYOOOOONE" (and them being hard-shell) was funnier. And in the grand tradition of wrestling birthdays, weddings, etc. since time immemorial, somebody goes into the cake. 

We have some pretty good stuff on the MMMShow this week about how much heat those tacos got from the temple fans.

Plus Justin made me do my Papa Cueto impression for Eric Van Wagenen.

• Like 1

Joey Thermometer's nice dick kick based offense against the monster Matanza Cueto. Didn't work and only pissed him off. Although the so-called monster's never looked more diminutive than he did by not dwarfing Mercury, who looks like a Justin Credible muppet that was left in the dryer too long.  

Son of Mayhem enjoying popcorn with the humanoids while taking in Big Bad Steve vs. Killshot.

The revelation that nothing says O.G. like purple velour tights.

Nothing completes a trophy room like the Lucha Underground title. Or the breaker of bones' head on the mantelpiece.

Since you did manage to catch the first ten minutes, I think you'll agree a stop motion flailing arm Catrina would've looked a lot more realistic than that abysmal green screen. Alas, it just wasn't in the budget.

• Haha 1

The first 10 minutes was usual goofy LU shit. Nothing exceptional, but segments like that are the heart and soul of the show, and there's some significant character development.

Killshot/Steve was way better than I expected as the match was announced. Heel Killshot using his technique and skill to wear down a burly tough guy worked really well, and Havoc's presence didn't detract from the story.

Hernandez coming back was whatever, but I'm definitely looking forward to Pentagon/Cuerno. Cuerno has been the most under-utilized talent there by a lot, so it's good to see him finally get another major program. I'd be pretty happy if he got a title run while he was at it.

Still working my way through it but I kind of like zombie Fenix.  I mean, what did Melissa and Aerostar expect by bringing back the dead?  If anything I wish Pentagon was still a heel in this even though he is beloved.  A dark version of the Lucha Bros would be super fun to watch.  I also found it funny that it's no secret Melissa and Cage are engaged, as soon as Fenix turned on her the Terminator claps instantly started up.

The only gripe I have is that they already went down this "bring back the dead" road in this season with Jeremiah.  As soon as they announced Jeremiah Snake the crowd shat on it big-time.    It's like they saw through that shit right away and they seem willing to suspend disbelief for the most part.  And there's been no videos showing him hanging with them, it's just this dude hanging with a group.  If anything by not really announcing how Fenix came back to life it seems more mysterious to the crowd watching.  So far I like where they're going with it.

Heel Fenix is awesome. Some of his mannerisms are over the top and cheesy, yes, but uh... This is Lucha Underground and he's playing a character whose mind has been altered by death and time travel. He's modified his offense to include more kicks and the Black Fire Driver is pretty sleek, even though there's no way he can do it to much larger opponents. I was very impressed with the reaction that match got from the crowd. That was easily match of the season as far as I'm concerned. His beatdown on Azteca was nice and efficient too.

Everything else on the show didn't work as well for me. They should've let the 3-way run longer (what a disappointment that match was) and had Marty just pin Pentagon right away. Why were they doing two extended "babyface valiantly fights a losing battle" sequences on the same show? Marty as champ feels rushed and underwhelming. He just doesn't seem like a good focal point for the promotion. If he and Cuerno traded roles for the last two shows, it would've been infinitely better.