DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXIV

MonteCarl

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It's 2018 and they still can't put more than two women's matches on a 14-match card.

Asuka vs Charlotte

Alexa vs Nia

Ronda and Steph's tag match

women's battle royal

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

That's never stopped WWE from doing that beforehand.  Not a hard or fast rule that all the titles have to be defended.

No, but every time they do it people bitch about it. Which is what I said.

I mean yeah but the counter point that it's better than it's been ever before is also true. Even leaving the mixed tag aside, women get to have more matches now. They get to have LONGER matches now. Storylines aren't great but they're un-great in ways like the US title match is un-great: Poorly-written and executed. Characterization is more complex and varied than it's been.

Ten years ago, the only women's match on Mania was a "Playboy Bunny Lumberjill" tag match and it lasted five minutes. Five years ago, there wasn't a women's match on the card. Asuka-Charlotte will probably get 20 minutes including entrances, and the story there is solely about who is the better wrestler.

There's plenty to complain about, and WWE can and should do better, but this wasn't the hill you should've picked to die on.

• Like 2

Just for the hell of it, here's a history of women's matches at each Wrestlemania-

Spoiler

only listing those events that actually had women's matches (including mixed tags)

Wrestlemania I

Wendi Richter (with Cyndi Lauper) defeated Leilani Kai (c) (with The Fabulous Moolah)     06:12

Wrestlemania VI

Dusty Rhodes and Sapphire (with Miss Elizabeth) defeated Queen Sherri and Randy Savage      07:52

Wrestlemania X

Alundra Blayze (c) defeated Leilani Kai  03:20

Wrestlemania XIV

Marc Mero and Sable defeated Goldust and Luna Vachon     9:11

Wrestlemania XV

Sable (c) defeated Tori 5:08

Wrestlemania 2000

Chyna and Too Cool  defeated The Radicalz (Dean Malenko, Eddie Guerrero and Perry Saturn)      9:37

Wrestlemania XVII

Chyna defeated Ivory (c)      2:39

Wrestlemania XVIII

Jazz (c) defeated Lita and Trish Stratus  6:16

Wrestlemania XIX

Trish Stratus defeated Victoria (c)  and Jazz  07:17

Wrestlemania XX

Torrie Wilson and Sable defeated Miss Jackie and Stacy Keibler      2:41

Victoria (c) defeated Molly Holly  6:49

Wrestlemania XXI

Trish Stratus (c) defeated Christy Hemme (with Lita)     04:12

Wrestlemania XXII

Mickie James defeated Trish Stratus (c)  08:48

Torrie Wilson defeated Candice Michelle  03:54

Wrestlemania XXIII

Melina (c) defeated Ashley  03:40

Wrestlemania XXIV

Beth Phoenix and Melina defeated Ashley and Maria 05:00

Wrestlemania XXV

Santina Marella won by last eliminating Beth Phoenix     "Miss WrestleMania" Battle Royal with Mae Young as special guest time keeper     7:25

Wrestlemania XXVI

Alicia Fox, Layla, Maryse, Michelle McCool and Vickie Guerrero defeated Beth Phoenix, Eve Torres, Gail Kim, Kelly Kelly and Mickie James      03:26

Wrestlemania XXVII

John Morrison, Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi and Trish Stratus defeated Dolph Ziggler and LayCool (Layla and Michelle McCool)  3:16

Wrestlemania XXVIII

Kelly Kelly and Maria Menounos defeated Beth Phoenix and Eve Torres     6:49

Wrestlemania XXX

AJ Lee (c) defeated Aksana, Alicia Fox, Brie Bella, Cameron, Emma, Eva Marie, Layla, Naomi, Natalya, Nikki Bella, Rosa Mendes, Summer Rae, and Tamina Snuka by submission     6:48

Wrestlemania XXXI

AJ Lee and Paige defeated The Bella Twins (Brie Bella and Nikki Bella) by submission    6:42

Wrestlemania XXXII

Team Total Divas (Alicia Fox, Brie Bella, Eva Marie, Natalya, and Paige) defeated Team B.A.D. and Blonde (Emma, Lana, Naomi, Summer Rae, and Tamina) by submission    11:25

Charlotte defeated Becky Lynch and Sasha Banks by submission     16:03
Wrestlemania XXXIII

Naomi defeated Alexa Bliss (c), Becky Lynch, Carmella, Mickie James, and Natalya by submission    5:35

Bayley (c) defeated Charlotte Flair, Nia Jax, and Sasha Banks      12:45

John Cena and Nikki Bella defeated The Miz and Maryse     9:40

Wrestlemania XXXIV

Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Nia Jax     
Women's Battle Royale
Charlotte Flair (c) vs. Asuka

Kurt Angle and Rhonda Rousey vs Stephanie McMahon and HHH

They sent out ads for a SDL house show on June 3 advertising a "double main event" of Orton/Roode/Jinder and Nakamura/Ziggler, so this US title triangle may only be just beginning!

I do like all three guys involved so I hope they end up delivering the goods at Mania.

45 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

You like Jinder?

I do, think he's a solid heel for the US title mix. He's come a long way and has had some real solid performances recently (dug both US Tournament matches vs Xavier and Roode) in addition to the very good last two matches he had with AJ.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cristobal said:

There's plenty to complain about, and WWE can and should do better, but this wasn't the hill you should've picked to die on.

The misuse of a lot of the star women wasn't my only issue with the card.  I hate that Rusev has gotten himself over 4 times now and they still refuse to capitalize.  

That said,   with AJ vs. Nakamura and Ronda's debut and Taker/Cena and Bryan being back there is a lot of compelling stuff on the card too. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cristobal said:

I mean yeah but the counter point that it's better than it's been ever before is also true. Even leaving the mixed tag aside, women get to have more matches now. They get to have LONGER matches now. Storylines aren't great but they're un-great in ways like the US title match is un-great: Poorly-written and executed. Characterization is more complex and varied than it's been.

Ten years ago, the only women's match on Mania was a "Playboy Bunny Lumberjill" tag match and it lasted five minutes. Five years ago, there wasn't a women's match on the card. Asuka-Charlotte will probably get 20 minutes including entrances, and the story there is solely about who is the better wrestler.

There's not alot they can do to be honest. They're packing everyone else in multi man matches for this card. The difference between this year and last year is they committed to the womens title matches being singles matches. Which compared to last year means 10 women in the 2 title matches down to 4. And other than a mixed tag or battle royal, theres not any other way to really get them on the card. They'll be running into similar problems at all PPVs now that they're dual branded.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 9:15 PM, DreamBroken said:

I do, think he's a solid heel for the US title mix. He's come a long way and has had some real solid performances recently (dug both US Tournament matches vs Xavier and Roode) in addition to the very good last two matches he had with AJ.

Oh yeah, I'm sure that was ALL Jindar...  I doubt Jindar resembled a broom at all...

I assume he's doing next to nothing in those tags, but this way they don't have to worry about any accusations of false advertising or offering refunds or whatever.

Not that they've ever been afraid to false advertise.

Lillian Garcia was named guest ring announcer for the Women's Battle Royal (one also assumes she is the backup National Anthem singer if they don't get a "Celebrity")

16 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Oh yeah, I'm sure that was ALL Jindar...  I doubt Jindar resembled a broom at all...

Never said it was, just that he held up his end of the matches. I'd take the last 2 Jinder/Styles matches over the last 2 Styles/Owens matches, and Jinder/Xavier was the best singles Xavier match I've seen. He's not the greatest sure but just solid in his role currently.

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Lillian Garcia was named guest ring announcer for the Women's Battle Royal (one also assumes she is the backup National Anthem singer if they don't get a "Celebrity")

They've got teen sister duo "Chloe x Halle" doing America the Beautiful

If you told me a month ago that the match I’d have most interest in at Mania (behind AJvNak) would involve Sami, Owens and Shane O Mac I wouldn’t have believed a word of it. Hyped now.

*wwe also posted a video of Owens and Sami storming the ring at a house show last night but I’ve no idea how to link it on mobile.

1 hour ago, peterien said:

If you told me a month ago that the match I’d have most interest in at Mania (behind AJvNak) would involve Sami, Owens and Shane O Mac I wouldn’t have believed a word of it. Hyped now.

*wwe also posted a video of Owens and Sami storming the ring at a house show last night but I’ve no idea how to link it on mobile.

Already in the March thread.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 9:00 PM, DreamBroken said:

They sent out ads for a SDL house show on June 3 advertising a "double main event" of Orton/Roode/Jinder and Nakamura/Ziggler, so this US title triangle may only be just beginning!

I do like all three guys involved so I hope they end up delivering the goods at Mania.

Is this a hint that AJ Styles is moving to Raw in the Superstar Shakeup?

• Like 1