DVDVR Message Board

UFC 221: Romero vs. Rockhold (2/10/2018) - Perth, Australia (Perth Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Rockhold was doing well with the jab but his chin is just too suspect particularly against a guy with the power of Romero. Was surprised he was so content to stay in punching range and not take a step back into kicking range. Hardly any body kicks either.

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Rockhold was doing well with the jab but his chin is just too suspect particularly against a guy with the power of Romero. Was surprised he was so content to stay in punching range and not take a step back into kicking range. Hardly any body kicks either.

I think it's moreso Rockhold freezing as he backs up to the cage than his chin. You just had a feeling that it was a matter of when especially based on the earlier Romero flurries. Romero had a punch he wanted to land (overhand left) in mind and Rockhold didn't have a ton of real estate to work with. Rockhold got set to throw, but Romero got to the target first. Game over.

I shouldn't joke but what was Rockhold staring at to his left after that first punch? Did he see the pearly gates?

And while Rockhold was able to circle out of some danger, you're right in that he does have a tendency to back straight up when in trouble. Feet planted on the outside, leaning back with his chin exposed isn't a good look.

10 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I shouldn't joke but what was Rockhold staring at to his left after that first punch? Did he see the pearly gates?

And while Rockhold was able to circle out of some danger, you're right in that he does have a tendency to back straight up when in trouble. Feet planted on the outside, leaning back with his chin exposed isn't a good look.

As you mentioned, his jab was crisp but to me it was more a stay busy jab if that makes sense. Rockhold really didn't have a strike to stop Romero from coming forward. The low kicks were good for points early on (even if Romero checked them and busted Luke's shin), but I mean they were not strong enough to keep Romero off of him. I don't know if it was Anik and Jimmy that brought up that Luke may be conserving energy to impement Whittaker's plan against Romero in the later rounds, but IMO Luke didn't want to over commit. That's wise, however, you know that Romero is looking for 1 or 2 significant strikes. That jab he was using in round 2 and 3 should have been there from the outset and then start working kicks to the legs. He had a much better shot swamping Romero from the get go than trying to win minute by minute. All Romero needs is a good 20 to 40 seconds to get you out of there.

A star is born.  Israel dissected Wilkinson like a surgeon in that second round.  Save a seat on the bandwagon for me.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:27 PM, supremebve said:

Israel Adesanya is a fucking star.  He needs to get a little stronger in the clinch game, but I'm on the bandwagon.

He's never really had to rely on the clinch as a kickboxer because of his length, footwork, and blinding headspeed and his ability to punch and kick from distance with power and almost zero wind-up is uncanny. 

Even if you are blocking his shots and checking his kicks, he's slowly eroding your ability to fight because your arms and legs are getting beaten up as you try to defend yourself..

That close combat education is going to have to become a priority as is takedown defense as he goes forward.  Future opponents are going to try to avoid his striking by attempting to get him to the ground and test his ground game and cardio.

• Like 1