DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

January was a great start to the wrestling year with the Andrade Almas vs. Johnny Gargano classic at NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia and the two best Royal Rumble matches in years. NJPW: Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito and Kenny Omega vs. Chris Jericho from Wrestle Kingdom 12. 

Hoping February carries the baton on!

55 minutes ago, Victator said:

Is Rey back for good?

According to Meltz, not yet but between his reaction and performance they are open to working with him going forward after he wraps up his multiple commitments.

Says if he does come back it won't be full time.

I feel like you have to also mention Suzuki's matches with Goto at Wrestle Kingdom and Tanahashi at New Beginning in Sapporo as far as top moments in January 2018. 

Maybe I'm just overreacting to my first first exposure to him outside of Pancrase/MMA but boy, he's a scary dude. I'm in rapture over someone who makes dropkicks look stiff and nasty.

That said, if the first month is going to be a sign of things to come then 2018 is going to be a hell of a year for wrestling. 

• Like 4

Rey was the highlight of the night for me. Everyone in my living room (there are like twenty people living here, its a thing) all lost their shit at Rey. He looked and moved amazing. 

This might not be the best idea, but he could be the 205 champion. I think Rey's presence could get a lot of those guys over, whereas right now it's a bunch of guys on the same level. 

But I would love to see Rey vs AJ and Rey vs Braun. Rey vs Brock has happened twice before, but that was before Rey Mysterio became REY MYSTERIO. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Him going back down to the cruiser belt would be a pretty serious drop off for a three time world champion.

But I'd kill for a twenty minute match with him and Roode.

Well I think it would give instant credibility to 205 and nothing can hurt Rey. But I don't think he would want to do that. 

46 minutes ago, Victator said:

He looked and moved amazing. 

That's why they'd be stupid to bring him in as anything other than a special attraction or TV talent IMO. It was like watching a different guy to when I last saw him in WWE

Assuming he goes part time from Mania to Mania he should get built up to have his his head crushed by Almas.

We are getting the strong style influence and some great British touches via NXT. Now give me a full blown lucha exhibition.

14 minutes ago, Boydy said:

There are a lot of guys I would like to see Rey wrestler, Cesaro, Reigns, Strowman, Pete Dunne, Roderick Strong, Adam Cole etc.

Good God, Cesaro would start spinning Rey at Wrestlemania and not stop 'til Summerslam.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

I have seen Rey work a few times over the last couple of years and it took me far too long to realize that part of the reason who looked so much better was because he was no longer hiding giant knee braces under his MC Hammer pants

• Like 1

Was going through some old favorites on the WWE network. Well, I guess old is a relative term. Few observations:

1. Battleground 2016. PPV debut of Bayley. To see that and hear that reaction and compare it to now, and I'm not sure I can think of anyone used as poorly as her. I REALLY hope someone can get her onto Smackdown where she can thrive. 

2. Shield/Evolution was awesome. Evolution thinking they could just hear the old music and dominate like the old days and then getting straight "run out of the gym" like the Shield did to them was fantastic.

3. Bad News Barrett was OVER.

4. I retract my first statement. Bray Wyatt has been at least as ruined by shitty booking as Bayley. 

5. Daniel Bryan at Mania 30 is some "series finale" level good shit. Like, if WWE had taken it's bow after that, the image of Daniel Bryan doing the "yes" chant while the crowd is going nuts and the confetti is raining down would be my pick for the finale...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

@Kropotkin's Beard and @Mr Harms: Seek out Suzuki vs. Tanahashi from NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling 2012 and vs. Kazuchika Okada from last year's NJPW G1 Climax.

I think this match was *better* than the KOPW 2012 match.  I just watched it a month ago and did love that there was only one pin attempt; however, there were multiple times in the match where they would've normally gone for pins and didn't (High Fly Flows by Tanahashi, for instance) which made it seem more of a gimmick than it should.  

Bray Wyatt has been utterly fucked by the stupid angles and terrible 50/50 booking.  I maintain he could've become the new Undertaker - perhaps not in ring work but in aura - and they threw it away, repeatedly.   I'm not sure he can be salvaged at this point.

• Like 4

Morgan Stanley predicted that the WWE will get $243 million for their rights fees.(The last deal was $140 million)

That is inline with what a lot of other folks said.

Meltzer said that a lot of that prediction is based on the idea that since UFC got an offer for $200 million the WWE will get more.