DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 125: Machida vs. Anders (2/3/2018) - Belém, Pará, Brazil (Arena Guilherme Paraense)

Elsalvajeloco

11 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I have all the time in the world for Polyana Viana.

Yep, I clicked on this thread to say how I'm excited to see where she goes.  She outclassed her opponent in every position and seemed really composed the entire time.  Her grappling skills are going to give her opponents fits.

• Like 1

I had it 48-47 Machida (rds 1, 4, & 5). Anders spent a lot of time just charging at Machida pushing his punches and only landed a left hand sparingly. He lost the fight clinching when he did land a punch. Anders never hit double digits in significant strikes in any round (15-2, 14-6, 10-9, 10-6, 13-9). All of them those left hands and one knee.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Did you expect any different from Brasil, especially in his hometown? Even Anders was resigned to it.

Two of the judges are American. FWIW Tony Weeks had the 49-46 card.

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Anders spent a lot of time just charging at Machida

This might've been where I thought he should have won, as the more aggressive fighter. The blood didn't hurt either. Insofar as the judging goes I stand corrected, but you know how these Brasil shows tend to go.  

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

This might've been where I thought he should have won, as the more aggressive fighter. 

Aggression doesn't mean anything if you're missing. 

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Insofar as the judging goes I stand corrected, but you know how these Brasil shows tend to go.  

No, I don't know because they usually use American judges for most part. Tony Weeks gets to go to Brazil like everytime they go down there. He's just an inconsistent judge (and referee back when he did that). He inconsistent in the USA, Brazil, or whatever. Sometimes, he will turn in a respectable scorecard and surprise you. But in many cases, he doesn't. So I mean that's on him and not the country. 

Dude followed Lyoto around the cage for what, 20 minutes? He was far more tentative when he finally had an angle on Machida than I thought he would be. I am so happy to be wrong (again). I really did not want to see Lyoto's brain get scrambled. His chin is so shot. Despite that, he and Bisping in a double retirement fight is a huge upgrade on Bisping/Belfort. 

Cachoeira looked like a complete can. Just awful defence in every regard. Valentina has some of the best technique of any woman in MMA. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I will deign to you in this case, you're the expert. Most of the Brasil cards I've seen seemed to have slanted judging but I don't watch or pay attention as much. 

Still think Machida/Anders was almost a draw though :P 

The problem is more or less with the people they import to judge the shows outside the US and Canada. Tony Weeks, Sal D'Amato, Marco Rosales, Derek Cleary, and Dave Tirelli ain't exactly the murderer's row of great judges, but yet they get trips to Brazil. Tirelli scored Villante-Barroso a couple weeks ago 29-28 for Barroso, and he worked the previous card in Brazil. Shit, they might as well keep those guys in the states and let the Brazilians judge the bouts.

BTW I wouldn't really have a problem calling that fight a draw. I had Lyoto barely winning and all Anders had to do was chain a few combinations together. However, everything he did was single shots. You can't average like 2.5 strikes landed per minute and win rounds. Plus, when Lyoto turned orthodox, he just kinda stood there frozen. When he did land a good punch, he would clinch Lyoto and then disengage allowing Machida to land something on the break. He never really made Lyoto pay for pulling straight back. He made Lyoto trip and fall one time and before that chased him around the cage and throwing wild hooks that were missing. It was really bizarre because all he had to do was trap Lyoto in one spot and throw a short overhand left.  

54 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Cachoeira looked like a complete can. Just awful defence in every regard. Valentina has some of the best technique of any woman in MMA. 

The inability of MMA management to recognize when their fighter is severely outgunned and shouldn't be facing this level of competition this early in their career (especially after facing no pushback in their entire career) is still apparent.  

• Like 1

Iuri Alcantara with a quick win but man Soto just has no luck this fight and then the fight before was the Calf Crusher finish by Brett Johns. 

Viana looked amazing and is one to watch in the Strawweight  division in will be very interesting to see who she matches up with next. 

Santos vs. Smith and Vera vs. Silva de were the best two fights of the night. 

Shevchenko with that performance joined Harper/Rowan and she is now the Bludgeon Sister! 
Santos vs. Smith and Vera vs. Silva De Andrade were the best two fights of the night.

Shevchenko just Bludgeon her opponent and probably earned a title shot in the newly created Flyweight division.

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Osiris Maia and Eduardo Herdy: We're the worst Brazilian referees.

Mario Yamasaki: Hold my beer.

Jesus Christ, I just saw that women's fight and he should never be allowed to referee another fight ever again. The fucking Pride referee who let guys get killed was watching that saying "This is ridiculous!".

16 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It's like Mario Yamasaki was replaced by his brother last night. 

Mario has been terrible forever though. Fernando only refs a UFC show like every 2 1/2 years. He worked the Brazil shows when they started venturing more outside of Rio. Prior to that he was working cards back when they were on Versus, which seems like forever ago. I think he's only a part time referee really and focuses more on those BJJ academies. 

I think they only use Fernando when like Goddard and/or Herb Dean aren't available, and they just so happen to need someone who speaks Portuguese. 

There is a lunatic on another board arguing with me that Mario made the right call not stopping the fight and that her corner is at fault for not throwing in the towel. That makes Alex Jones look sane in comparison.

Her corner is definitely at fault, but when do cornermen ever throw in the towels for their fighters in MMA when they most definitely probably should have?

The only two instances I recall are Overeem vs. Rogerio Nogueira and I think BJ Penn vs. GSP 2. Those are the only two major examples. If anyone knows of any others feel free.

Just for example, Edson Barboza's corner not throwing in the towel against Nurmagomedov. I think JDS in both of his rematches with Cain Velasquez. Jamie Varner when he broke his ankle in a fight and was clearly fighting on one foot and his corner let the fight keep going when he was clearly done.

I think it's a definite problem in the sport that cornermen are afraid to do it.

EDIT:

Let's not forget, we've seen Herb Dean mess up and make mistakes like this before.  Look at Weidman vs. Rockhold.