DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 125: Machida vs. Anders (2/3/2018) - Belém, Pará, Brazil (Arena Guilherme Paraense)

Elsalvajeloco

ufc-fight-night-125.jpg

UFC Fight Night 125: Machida vs. Anders 
February 3, 2018
Belém, Pará, Brazil (Arena Guilherme Paraense)

Lyoto Machida (186) vs. Eryk Anders (186) - Machida, DEC (split)
Valentina Shevchenko (125) vs. Priscila Cachoeira (126) - Shevchenko, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (4:25)
Michel Prazeres (161)* vs. Desmond Green (156) - Prazeres, DEC (unanimous)
Timothy Johnson (263) vs. Marcelo Golm (247) - Johnson, DEC (unanimous)
Douglas Silva de Andrade (135) vs. Marlon Vera (136) - Silva de Andrade, DEC (unanimous)
Thiago Santos (185) vs. Anthony Smith (186) - Santos, TKO (body kick and punches), R2 (1:03)

Fox Sports 2 Preliminary Card:
Sérgio Moraes (171) vs. Tim Means (171) - Moraes, DEC (split)
Alan Patrick (156) vs. Damir Hadžović (156) - Patrick, DEC (unanimous)
Maia Stevenson (116) vs. Polyana Viana (116) - Viana, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:50)
Iuri Alcântara (136) vs. Joe Soto (135) - Alcântara, TKO (punches), R1 (1:06)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Deiveson Alcântara (126) vs. Joseph Morales (126) - Alcântara, TKO (strikes), R2 (4:34)

*Forfeits 40% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Iuri Alcântara
Performance of the Night: Valentina Shevchenko
Fight of the Night: Thiago Santos vs. Anthony Smith

Attendance: 10,144
Rating: 839,000 viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
Timothy Johnson vs. Luiz Henrique - Injury to Henrique (Biceps)
John Dodson vs. Pedro Munhoz - Munhoz Missed Weight

Remember when they'd only run Vegas the day before the Superbowl? Have they now decided they're too big a deal to piggyback like that any more?

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Remember when they'd only run Vegas the day before the Superbowl? Have they now decided they're too big a deal to piggyback like that any more?

I think that had to be a Fertitta thing because that stopped as soon as Zuffa got bought. Also, they no longer lay out a full schedule at the end of the year for the next calendar year. So it only makes sense to run Vegas when you feel you can sell tickets in Vegas unless it's like a TUF finale which obviously will be in Vegas. In the last three or four years prior to the sale, they went Vegas crazy. I think that left a lot of markets out in the cold especially when random big fights would pop up, and they had to put them in Vegas after just running a card in Vegas. Case in point, this is the first show in Belem and the North region of Brazil period which is crazy when they have a bunch of fighters from that region. Plus, it's kinda like the last wild, wild west place (other than the Middle East where you have companies using the UFC acronym and weird shit like that) of MMA where you have people who claim to have like 45-6 or 60-13 records and most MMA databases can only come up with like 15 or 16 fights. They benefit more from a running new places where they have a greater chance of filling up an arena and a much better atmosphere.

It will be interesting to see if Maia Stevenson can get a win since it seems she is being set up to get beat after being the only TUF 26 fighter no to be on the Finale. 

Will Valentina Shevchenko be able to bounce back and get right into the 125 title picture or will Priscila Cachoeira get a big win? I'm hoping Shevchenko is able to bounce back. 

7 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

It will be interesting to see if Maia Stevenson can get a win since it seems she is being set up to get beat after being the only TUF 26 fighter no to be on the Finale. 

Will Valentina Shevchenko be able to bounce back and get right into the 125 title picture or will Priscila Cachoeira get a big win? I'm hoping Shevchenko is able to bounce back. 

IMO I thought Lauren Murphy made sense as the first opponent for a relative unknown fighter like Cachoeira. Unless, they feel the same way they felt about Valentina where she made her debut against Sarah Kaufman and not like a Jessamyn Duke or Elizabeth Phillips type opponent she would've finished inside the distance. 

For me, it's hard to get a read because the upside for Priscila Cachoeira is a possibly a Jessica Andrade for the flyweight division and the downside is just another female fighter from Brazil with a bloated, artificial record who finds her way out of the company within a few fights. Valentina is big step up from that level, and she's fighting someone her size for a change. Very intriguing matchup.

Heavy Hands guys thought it was pretty much a showcase for Valentina and were not high on Cachoeira at all.

I forgot who Eryk Anders was, then I saw a picture and it came back to me. Yeah, I don't like Lyoto's chances. Anders was really impressive in his two fights. A guy Lyoto would've destroyed in his prime but that time has come and gone unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Heavy Hands guys thought it was pretty much a showcase for Valentina and were not high on Cachoeira at all.

I forgot who Eryk Anders was, then I saw a picture and it came back to me. Yeah, I don't like Lyoto's chances. Anders was really impressive in his two fights. A guy Lyoto would've destroyed in his prime but that time has come and gone unfortunately.

I know it was a different era for MMA and the level of opponent has changed, but the Lyoto from the Sam Hoger and David Heath fights seems like a faint memory now. The reflexes aren't there and fighters can get closer to him relatively quickly to lay leather on him.

I just read a Portal do Vale Tudo article where Machida said he got away from karate. IMO Karate is one of the catalysts that sped up his decline. He was an undersized LHW and now he's more of a slightly on the small side middleweight with no attributes to stop bigger fighters from controlling him. His takedown defense is still good for a fighter his size, but on the ground, dealing with a Luke Rockhold is going to seem like trying to move a mountain. The advantages he got from initially going down to middleweight are all gone because the class of the top fighters is dramatically different. If Gian Villante vs. Francimar Barroso is any indication of the middle tier at 205, his final run in the UFC would be better spent head kicking those guys because he won't be beating the top fighters at middleweight.

Anders is an interesting case because he has all the traits of a fighter who would be in the next wave of top fighters. But then again, a lot of people from the Colorado/Midwest regional scene said that about Brandon Thatch. However, he is still a bit on the raw side. The thing is if someone like a Yoel Romero who is very athletic but someone you would think kinda crude compared to a Lyoto Machida actually dusted Lyoto when he finally got to him, then a Eryk Anders could do the same especially against a Machida closer to the twilight of his career. Also, just like the Romero fight, it's a relatively quick turnaround after a drubbing and he's searching for answers based on the Portal do Vale Tudo interview I read. Doesn't fill you full of confidence about his chances.

It does not.

Has Anders' chin been tested yet? I don't remember him taking much damage in the Perez fight and it's been a while since I watched him destroy Natal. Even if he doesn't have an iron beard, Machida's power isn't what it used to be. I feel like Anders' aggression and athleticism will overwhelm Machida, though I'd be happy to be wrong on this one.

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

It does not.

Has Anders' chin been tested yet? I don't remember him taking much damage in the Perez fight and it's been a while since I watched him destroy Natal. Even if he doesn't have an iron beard, Machida's power isn't what it used to be. I feel like Anders' aggression and athleticism will overwhelm Machida, though I'd be happy to be wrong on this one.

He has a been hit a couple times, but not like damn his chin is awesome. I think with Lyoto the momentum matters. Therefore, Eryk Anders would have to run headlong into punches like Ryan Bader did. Either that or do what Munoz and Dollaway seem to do and just stand straight up with no movement. There problem for Machida is he likely will be there for the receipt and that could be a fight ender.

Thoughts on testing dehydration levels to basically stop extreme weight cutting? Seems like where the sport ends up, I just hope it's not only after somebody (I suppose more famous than Yang Jian Bing) dies. 

35 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Thoughts on testing dehydration levels to basically stop extreme weight cutting? Seems like where the sport ends up, I just hope it's not only after somebody (I suppose more famous than Yang Jian Bing) dies. 

Fighters don't want to move up. Michel Prazeres missing weight doesn't surprise me because he's built like a tank, but obviously he knows he would be severely undersized at 170. However, a guy like that is going to have to use his strength to overcome the size disadvantage if he wants to fight at an optimum level. What I will not entertain is stuff like what Bryan Alvarez is talking about where you have weigh ins as the fighters are stepping into the cage. That's fucking insane and no commission would do something like that nor would any organization jeopardize their entire card by allowing that to happen.

I like Alvarez the majority of the time but he's insufferable on weight cutting. He's not wrong in that the current system isn't working and it's failing fighters but using amateur wrestling's set-up is a turrible idea. Fighters are going to try all of the available avenues for advantages, I get that. But this isn't healthy in so, so many ways. I hope One FC's system becomes the norm, or something similar to it. They adjusted the weights for all the divisions by 10 lbs I believe after the fact so the division names didn't become confusing. Maybe having 10 lbs between all the weight classes would help too.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I like Alvarez the majority of the time but he's insufferable on weight cutting. He's not wrong in that the current system isn't working and it's failing fighters but using amateur wrestling's set-up is a turrible idea. Fighters are going to try all of the available avenues for advantages, I get that. But this isn't healthy in so, so many ways. I hope One FC's system becomes the norm, or something similar to it. They adjusted the weights for all the divisions by 10 lbs I believe after the fact so the division names didn't become confusing. Maybe having 10 lbs between all the weight classes would help too.

I barely agree with anything MMA related Alvarez has to say and on this issue, he's out to lunch.

I believe the weight classes are going to remain static. They're not going to change the limits when a large majority can still make the required weights. 

I think Joe Rogan has said similar things about weigh ins the day of, which seems so stupid. He's also said there should be a weight class every 10 lbs., which is just as crazy.

Then again, Joe can be really fucking dumb (having Stephen Crowder back on and this time agreeing with him and not questioning him? WTF?) and has said MMA should take place on something the size of a basketball court.

He and Alvarez should shut the fuck up when it comes to weight cutting. Anyway, regarding hydration testing, Jeff Novitzky made it sound like it would become a part of the process sooner rather than later.

I would be fine with more catchweight bouts for any bout that's not a title eliminator/contender fight or title bout. You can apply the purse deductions if that person isn't within a certain pct. either the night before the fight (you can make it exactly 24 hours before the fight is suppose to occur) or the morning of the fight. For example, if you're a flyweight in a 130 pound catchweight fight and you should probably be given 15% of the flyweight limit for what you can gain before the fight. So anything over 143.75 (or 144 if you want to round to the nearest whole number) would warrant a 20% purse deduction. Also, you can prohibit fighters from doing another cut after their official weights have been taken. IMO That works better than adding classes or changing the actual limits. That way when it's time to have an important fight, it's on you to make the weight. You know what is at stake.

20 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

FWIW Dodson isn't getting his show money. I'm guessing this fight is getting rescheduled or at least Dodson is getting a fight on a card coming up soon.

Update: