DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2018 POST SHOW DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Actually, if I have any complaint, it's Michael Cole doing a profile piece on each entrant like it's fucking GLOW or something.

Really?  You were cool with the person sitting next to him behaving as if they had never seen pro wrestling before?

• Haha 2

Just now, Sky Blue Sam said:

Very pleased that the payoff to Ziggler forfeiting the US title was him coming out to no reaction and getting murked out within a few minutes.

So, is the KFC Rumble going to go down as Ric Flair's retirement match?

What, without putting a young colonel over?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Hector said:

I don't mind Ronda muscling herself into the Mania card, but there had to have been a smarter way to do it than breaking out the old "What's she doing here!?" shtick. If they had done that shit with Mayweather that angle with Show would have never had the heat that it did.

Maybe she's going against whomever Asuka doesn't pick?

Just now, odessasteps said:

Didn't watch. At work. 

Also bedridden for last 3 days so have missed stuff. 

If they have unredacted her, good for them.  

I wouldn't say she was redacted before. She just wasn't part of the conversation. Now she is. My guess is that she gets inducted this year. HHH bringing her up on Monday made me wonder if they would. Steph talking about her tonight felt like a guarantee she would get inducted to the HoF.

1 minute ago, El Dragon said:

I'm legitimately curious what Rousey can become if she fully commits to this. Sara training her could be very interesting.

I think what she has going for her, besides being an incredible athlete, is that she is a huge wrestling fan and loves wrestling.  Unlike say Brock Lesnar.  She's actually wanted to be a part of this and main event WrestleMania since she was still on top of the UFC and Dana White didn't want her involved in that at all.  

The main problems I see for her is the schedule.  If WWE is smart, you basically put her on the Brock Lesnar schedule.  Limited dates, limited PPVs.  That's for the best. Don't burn her out by making her work all the house shows and every TV.  With Rousey, less is more IMHO.  

I think the obvious problems is bad writing and while I would say Ronda is naturally charismatic, she's not what I would call a great "actor."  Again, it needs to be less is more, and they don't exactly have Paul Heyman level creative types writing the product these days. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Green Meanie said:

Did the son give Rhonda Roddy's gimmick too?

Also I'm assuming Braun is never going to get the title now.

Roddy actually gave her permission to use Rowdy years ago.

• Like 2

Seeing Asuka and Ember face off was cool. Seeing Asuka blow off the Eclipse and eliminate her... makes me look not too smart for suggesting Ember didn't really need to beat her in the first place. But, whatever. The women's rumble was really good, and I'd like to see Asuka wrestle at least half a dozen of the matches that we got glimpses of. Sasha indulging her heel tendencies a bit was also a highlight that I hope goes somewhere.   

And while I realize the build to Nakamura/AJ looks to be contingent on liking New Japan and their work there, as it happens I do like New Japan, and I liked their Wrestle Kingdom match a lot too. It could use more depth, but I won't complain about being pandered to a little, and the match should be great. 

To me, the Women’s Rumble was much more of what I’ve wanted out of this show for years and years. Once it got going, it was memorable moment after memorable moment. The men’s Rumble had a great final six but the Women’s Rumble seemed to sum up the last twenty years and celebrate the present before putting an exclamation on things with a big cliffhanger moving forward.

• Like 6

I fucking love Asuka.  Her slapping Rousey's hand away did more storytelling than the next month of bullshit promos we're about to hear.  And her mocking Sasha would have been a lot better if Trish hadn't literally JUST done it...  But yeah, Charlotte acting shocked was a nice touch.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Very pleased that the payoff to Ziggler forfeiting the US title was him coming out to no reaction and getting murked out within a few minutes.

So, is the KFC Rumble going to go down as Ric Flair's retirement match?

No, we're getting Flair vs Reba McEntire at Wrestlemania.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1