DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER - PHILADELPHIA

Dolfan in NYC

I think this is the most important match in Cole WWE/NXT career.  While he has been great as a character to me he hasn't been that impressive in the ring.  At least not that you believe he should be the main eventer that he was promoted as.   His best in ring match may have been that house show match against McIntyre with HBK as the ref and there was some smoke and mirrors in that match with all the interference.   

He has had some really good Extreme Rules/no DQ match in Ring of Honor so this should be no exception tonight

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:

The pre show matches for Takeover will be Lacey Evans vs Nikki Storm and the return of TM61.  Not sure if Roderick Strong vs Lars Sullivan is a Takeover pre show match or just something promoted for other TV shows

They cancelled that. 

So Almas and Gargano watched NJPW this morning and said "Yeah, we can beat that"/

I don't think I've seen a match done in WWE that had everyone hooked and fooled that well.  Holy shit that match was amazing.

• Like 5

I watched this Takeover on a whim, having pretty much tuned out of nXt since that post 'mania class from last year with Enzo & Cass and a bunch of those guys getting called up. But wasn't Almas on his way to being considered a "bust?" Because holy shit if that wasn't one of the coolest fucking things I've ever seen. The Vega LeRae stuff was the aces, too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Great show. Shayna is fucking terrifying. They need to strap a rocket on her. 

I want her and Joe to hook up on the main roster. Just the two of them running around choking fools out as a way of showing affection. Like an animal bringing a kill to it's mate.

Tell me you wouldn't watch that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, just drew said:

I watched this Takeover on a whim, having pretty much tuned out of nXt since that post 'mania class from last year with Enzo & Cass and a bunch of those guys getting called up. But wasn't Almas on his way to being considered a "bust?" Because holy shit if that wasn't one of the coolest fucking things I've ever seen. The Vega LeRae stuff was the aces, too.

The heel turn and partnership with Vega has turned him into a star. Incredible recovery from where he was heading as the "latest indy darling to be signed to NXT"

• Like 2

The thing is I was expecting Ciampa to show up during the match. But I loved that Almas just beat him. Gargano wrestled an incredible match, but Almas has hit that level were you have to be amazing to get him. The finish of the match was brutal, as there was no way anyone was kicking out of those 2 moves like that, and everyone knew it. 

As for the rest of the show...

Tag Team match was pretty good. I don't really mind Fish and O'Reilly, but man, I really really like babyface AOP. Who would have thought the Authors of Pain would have came this far in 18 months.

Velveteen is going to have multiple World Title runs in him unless something goes horribly wrong.

Womens title match was pretty great. Bazler can be pretty damn scary as a heel. I imagine Ember has to relinquish the belt, if I had to call it.

Worst match on the show, to me, was Cole/Black. I just do not get the Adam Cole hype. He's got a good look, but he's just such a bland worker by modern standards. 

Just now, L_W_P said:

The heel turn and partnership with Vega has turned him into a star. Incredible recovery from where he was heading as the "latest indy darling to be signed to NXT"

Yeah, giving him Vega and letting him be Sombra without the mask gave his career a complete 180.

Also, MASKED MARIACHI'S AND THE SOMBRA MASK!

• Like 4

in brief:

-Da PG Hit Squad is probably getting called up soon, but I still think every time they don't turn indie boys into clouds of red mist is a missed opportunity

-Dream Actually "KOing" Hero might be the most they've ever put a heel over. Straight up, only faces are supposed to successfully accomplish their promises.

-Baszler/Moon was like watching a cosplayer fight in battlarts, and I'm here for it.

-Black/Cole was stupid as fuck. "I know it's an extreme rules match but we're just gonna wait like twenty minutes to come out and murder the babyface OH NO WE FAILED TO MURDER THE BABYFACE." check out your good friends, Adam Cole. how good are your good, good friends

-every pale fucker screwfacing at sombra's entrance and then victory makes me hope he never drops the NXT title to anyone but another luchador, just to make 'em choke on it

EDIT: also, what's with no heels ever going for count out victories any more. like there's three points on almas/gargano where all Almas had to do was like get back in the ring and sit still to win the match, but he brought him back in and got Comeback'd

• Like 3

I was distracted for a good portion of the tag title match but it looked solid.  AOP are ready to move up at this point.

Dream continues to improve and was the right guy to go over in his match.  I hope this means Hero debuts in the rumble tomorrow.

I wasn't that sold on Shayna until tonight but she's legit.  

Black/Cole was good but I actually would have preferred a straight wrestling match to the WWE style hardcore match.

Gargano/Almas was one of those matches you show to people who aren't wrestling fans to illustrate why you're into it.  I hope we get a mixed tag match between Almas/Vega and Gargano/Larae (Vega is a trained worker right?).  The end with him having come up short in the hardest fought match of his career only to be waylaid by Ciampa at the end was a nice touch to show how the good guys don't always win.

Any word on how the dark matches were?

Should I know who EC3 is?

Nigel's absence was really felt on commentary.  Percy ranges from barely there to bad and Mauro really grates on me when he doesn't have someone to reign him in.

You know, stepping back to think about is... is Gargano the best NXT roster member ever at this point?

Part of the best tag team rivalry the company has probably had since... jesus, ever? And I don't mean NXT tag rivalry. I'll take the DIY/Revival matches against any main show WWE/F tag team rivalry in history. 

Part of what is probably the best turn in the companies history, cause Ciampa turning on Gargano beat Owens turning on Zayn.

Arguably just had the best match in NXT history, and I'd wager it's very likely the best 1v1 Mens match in NXT history.

Beloved by literally everyone at this point. I didn't like Gargano on the indies. But holy god dammit he's been a revelation in NXT. So many people go to NXT from the Indies and just become "a guy". Gargano has became THE guy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1