DVDVR Message Board

WWE Hall of Fame 2018

Casey

If we are going by kayfabe, he's a 6 time IC, 3 time US, 1 time tag, 1 time European, and 10 time world champion.

If we are going by real life, he's a solid hand who struggled to get over in both his WWF runs until the very end of both, catching fire first with the music video and second with the woman hating gimmick. He was a main eventer in WCW as it was dying and never got over to a level that matched his push.

In TNA, he actually was pretty over as a heel, but he did have the entire company literally built around him for several years in order to get there. He did get over as a face in Memphis.

If I had a WON HOF vote, he wouldn't make my ballot, but this is the WWE Hall of Fame, people remember him, etc etc

40 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

So, is Punk the only person Triple H can't make peace with?

If Punk keeps insisting on getting punched in the head, Hunter might eventually be able to lure him back just by jangling a shiny set of keys. 

I've always had a soft spot for JJ because when I started watching WWF he had just come back from WCW and was doing the JR semi-shoot interviews and had that rad Aztec design singlet and robe. I thought he was a huge star. It was all kind of downhill from there, but he had some really inspired moments in TNA and Ring Ka King was brilliant. 

13 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Man, this is fucking weird news.  Did you guys see the last time he was in AAA?

Maybe this could be the first step to them helping him with rehab and sorting his life out.

I'll always have a soft spot for Dubba J. His misogynist gimmick in '98/'99 gave us such gems as "meEEEEeeen is the dominant species." One of my favourite dumb wrestling quotes of all time.

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

You might get it in 2005 instead?

Considering how things went in 2005, I doubt AJ gets above the midcard.  AJ doesn't get this run in WWE without the NJPW run.  He doesn't get the NJPW run without TNA, and Jarrett was the one pushing him toward the top of the card initially in TNA.  I mean, I'd love to crap on Jarrett and love throw shade at TNA, but there are a ton of guys that don't get serious WWE runs without TNA/Impact, and that started with Jarrett deciding to fill the #2 vacuum in.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

You might get it in 2005 instead?

AJ was offered WWF developmental. He turned it down.

I'm not saying his success is entirely down to TNA. Just that the platform they gave him got him adjusted to working a TV style. 

7 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Maybe this could be the first step to them helping him with rehab and sorting his life out.

Well the WWE is paying for his rehab. I remember the story at the time was Karen Jarrett was the one who reached out to the WWE to get him into rehab.

You never know - that could have been the impetus for them to start down this path

• Like 1

It's worth noting that, when you look at the biggest factions in wrestling history, Jarrett has been a member of the NWO, the Horsemen, the Bullet Club and of course Planet Jarrett.

This also finally puts to rest the "Vince hates Jarrett" talk that's been going round for years. No doubt that there was some animosity straight after Jarrett left, but it was long ago reported (and confirmed by JJ) that Vince rang Jarrett after Jill Jarrett's death so there must have been some level of cordiality between them. Jarrett never demanded extra money from Vince for the Chyna match, just what he was owed up front, so there was always the possibility of this day coming.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

Whoever did that HoF Photoshop needs to be put in the HoF.

Also, a terrible thought -

Raw GM - Kurt Angle

Smackdown GM - Jeff Jarrett

I actually thought of that too. If they are gonna replace Bryan this year, Jeff has obnoxious authority figure experience.

Although Kurt's the one needs replaced.

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Jarrett as MMA Kenny Powers is deserving of the induction on its own.

I just watched the MMA video again and thought the same thing. Now who made who: Is Danny McBride doing a Jeff Jarrett tribute act with his career, or did Jeff Jarrett tap into the Foot Fist Way and Kenny Powers?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I actually thought of that too. If they are gonna replace Bryan this year, Jeff has obnoxious authority figure experience.

Although Kurt's the one needs replaced.

WWE Kurt has all the charisma of a Chuck E. Cheese animatronic band member and he's got the busted face that won't animate anymore too. Like, you know the scenes in Westworld where they're calibrating the robots and they turn off all emotional affectation? It's like they did that for Kurt and forgot to turn it back on.

• Like 1