DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 3/29/18

*Taped for Xplosion: Taya Valkyrie def. Alisha Edwards

Impact Wrestling - Airing March 29, 2018 from Orlando, FL

*Petey Williams def. Rohit Raju, Taiji Ishimori, & Suicide via pinfall on Suicide. After the match, Petey announces he is cashing in his Feast or Fired X Division title shot at the Redemption PPV against Matt Sydal on April 22

*Su Yung (w/ Braxton Sutter) def. Amber Nova with the Panic Switch

*(Aired clipped from WrestlePro in NJ): KM def. Fallah Bahh via pinfall w/ his feet on the ropes

*Brian Cage def. Lashley after a discus lariat

*Austin Aries(c) def. Matt Sydal (w/ Josh Mathews)(c) to WIN the Impact Grand Championship and retain the World Championship in a Title vs. Title match.

Lashley/Cage was a lot of fun. Finish was kind of weak but I loved them trading 'ranas early on. Main event was good stuff and got a ton of time too. the Eddie/Sami feud is continuing to deliver. Su Yung is killer, looking awesome.

The main event was really good. Aries is having a good year and I like sydal as a heel even if he's with Josh Matthews. I also enjoyed the Rosemary/Taya brawl in the back. Hopefully Taya can get a good match out of Rosemary like Mia Yim did.  The Sami/Eddie stuff continues to be stupid. You have big bad guy Sami and OVE beat up Eddie in Sami's promotion where he is a big time babyface. Then you have the roster come down and cheer Sami and OVE on. Just makes Impact look stupid. 

What finisher is Su using?  if the Panic Switch is that awful Airplane Spin / Samoan Driver dealie, I hate it and she needs to start using her Yellow Fever hurty submission thingie.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

What finisher is Su using?  if the Panic Switch is that awful Airplane Spin / Samoan Driver dealie, I hate it and she needs to start using her Yellow Fever hurty submission thingie.

Yep that is the Panic Switch. 

The Panic Switch looks a lot better when the opponent is face down than on their back; it looks like it gives the person applying the move more room to torque the arm for extra hurty-looking goodness.

11 hours ago, Tim Evans said:

The main event was really good. Aries is having a good year and I like sydal as a heel even if he's with Josh Matthews. I also enjoyed the Rosemary/Taya brawl in the back. Hopefully Taya can get a good match out of Rosemary like Mia Yim did.  The Sami/Eddie stuff continues to be stupid. You have big bad guy Sami and OVE beat up Eddie in Sami's promotion where he is a big time babyface. Then you have the roster come down and cheer Sami and OVE on. Just makes Impact look stupid. 

How does it make Impact look stupid? 

oVe’s entire shtick is “Ohio v. Everything”.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nate said:

The Panic Switch looks a lot better when the opponent is face down than on their back; it looks like it gives the person applying the move more room to torque the arm for extra hurty-looking goodness.

I thought it looked better when she did it to Allie last week. But I think Yellow Fever would be a good one to use too.

I also enjoyed the Taya/Rosemary brawl. 

Wait, I think I meant to say the "Yellow Fever" ... the one in the video.  I originally thought the "Switch" and the "Fever" were the same thing, but I misunderstood.

7 minutes ago, Thibs said:

399K for this episode. Highest ever on POP.

Is it safe to say they might have turned a corner?

It's looking like they might have.  I don't see them approaching Spike numbers but this is a very positive trend.  And with matches like Cage/Lashley I'm fully on board with what they're doing now.

• Like 3

They just sold out two house shows in California. Sure, the numbers were 700 and 900 respectively but still. They’re the second highest grossing show at Wrestlecon. They’re viewership on POP is not far from half a million.

Threat to WWE? Maybe not. But they’re no less of a “#2” than any other domestic promotion. 

2 hours ago, Thibs said:

They just sold out two house shows in California. Sure, the numbers were 700 and 900 respectively but still. They’re the second highest grossing show at Wrestlecon. They’re viewership on POP is not for from half a million.

Threat to WWE? Maybe not. But they’re no less of a “#2” than any other domestic promotion. 

Not entirely true.  If they’re at 400, they need a 25% increase in viewership to hit 500.

10 hours ago, nate said:

Wait, I think I meant to say the "Yellow Fever" ... the one in the video.  I originally thought the "Switch" and the "Fever" were the same thing, but I misunderstood.

Yeah, the airplane spin headdrop dealie is the Panic Switch and she calls the modified Lotus Lock the Yellow Fever.

And I agree that the hold looks a lot better when applied to an opponent who is face down on the mat and Su wrenches the arm up and back into the grain of the shoulder.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I downloaded Pluto TV onto my Xbox so these random reviews could be happening more often:

This ones a bit of a blast from the past.

I forgot Josh Matthews had his Michael Cole heel run, he has gold though Michael Cole never had that. I like the idea of a cold open and I like how it established the main event for later tonight. Aries vs Sydal is gonna be good.

How many tours of duty has Petey Williams had in TNA/Impact? Suicide is the most TNA wrestler ever, I don't mean that negatively I'm just saying TNA would based a wrestler of the main character from their video games career mode and run with it ten years later. Whose Rohit Raju? Ishimori has changed a lot in the almost two years since this aired. The X Division is so much fun, I grew up on the WCW Cruiserweights so give me a bunch of dudes flipping around hitting movez. Calamity pure calamity not everyone's cup of tea but I would like a second cup. This was given a lot of time so everyone got a chance to showcase their skills.

I don't think there has even been a wrestler more perfect for a scarf than Eli Drake sorry Jericho. Drake was cutting great promo's two years ago. I bet he's been cutting great promo's from years now. Dude can talk.

This was the undead bride Su Yung's Impact Debut. I've seen her live at a Defy Show or two in Seattle and I've seen her on Impact but not her debut. Funny that Braxton Stutter is the Brother Love to Su Yung's Undertaker. Yung actually debuted the week before attacking Allie but this is her debut match and it goes how you think it would, Su makes quick work of her opponent.

Taya and Rosemary being strange bedfellows on that June 2019 Impact I saw makes more sense after watching these two brawl. They seem to be embroiled in a blood feud. I get a big kick out of how Impact films these vignettes like they do, little mini movies there's even dramatic. Also Badass to see Dick Justice had a cup of coffee in Impact.

I think I watched this Fallah Bah-KM match on Twitch when it first aired. It seems familiar. Match is fine, they've seemed to have shied away from airing indie matches involving talent on Impact now but I remember when this was a thing. Not a bad idea actually gets the brand out there promotes other indies it's good for the biz.

Brain Cage looked like an absolute monster in that Video package I think he was a relative new comer around this time although i'm not 100% sure I was not following the product at the time. I do know Bobby Lashley debuted at the Raw after Mania a week later so his time in Impact was winding down or had already left but the shows had yet to air. This is presented like a big deal Hoss vs Hoss. It delivers. They beat the snot out of each other. Cage is hungry has something to proof, Lashley underestimating him leaves a chip on Cages shoulder and it shows. Lashley doesn't phone it in or anything he brings it he just I don't think anticipated having to bring it. Lashley did the right thing and put Cage over on the way out.

This was Gail Kim's last run right? I thought she retired at Bound For Glory 2017? Whats she doing her? She's turning on Allie isn't she?

The GWN Flashblack was AJ vs Petey vs Sabin Ultimate X '05. This brings me back to my favorite time in TNA.

Yes! another one of these Straight to Video Action Movie Vignettes, on the same show. I mean it i'm a big fan of these. And it's longer. Finally a company got these right just film them cinematically and play 'em for straight. I guess they got this from Lucha Underground but I watch even less than I watch Impact do I'm giving Impact this one. This wasn't Lost in Cleveland no it was way better it was actually watchable, enjoyable if you weel! Eddie just shows up to an in die show and starts hitting people with kendo sticks. Love It! It takes place in a ring but feels like a movie. Eddie gets hit in the eye with another baseball bat as the crowd chants OVE so it feels as if you are in Sami's layer. 

The Video Package before the main was really good I have an issue with it not the quality but that in the cold open text said it was earlier today and now we have a very well done video package I guess they worked their asses off in the truck to get it done in time. I was right this match was good. They took their time and had a match, let it build to something. Thats how it should be done. I'll step off my soap box now. They are even'y matched and have a history with one another dating back to Generation Next way back in 04, there's a chemistry there that led to the match being as good as it was. Once this picked up it picked up Aries hit a forearm smash on the outside and there was brawling around ringside. I spot I really dug was Aries went for a discuss clothesline Sydal duckit but slid on his knees and ended up Germaning Aries. Match was given a ton of time Aries hit the Brain Buster and that was all she wrote. Really good match, best part is Aries won so he wins The Grand Championship the belt Sydal gave to Matthews so Matthews looses the belt without ever defending it.

• Like 1