DVDVR Message Board

NJPW The New Beginning 2018

Raziel

2 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

He was never allowed to do anything on that level.  They wouldn't let him take off his Stardust facepaint much less so anything outside of comedy.  It was all there as Stardust but packaged under a comedy act. 

Because he never showed anything in his time there that said he deserved a chance at that level. By the time the Stardust gimmick came in it was kind of clear they had given up on him. I assumed its why he left in the first place.

A few other (stupid little) things about that BTE ep and then I'm (probably) done:

-A few people on twitter have noted that room 710 might have particular significance if you know your bowling. (A 7-10 split being arguably the most difficult.) I'm going to choose to believe that's an intentional choice, because I enjoy media that rewards hilarious levels of overthinking.

-It's also completely hilarious to me that Kenny took this serious, solemn meeting as a chance to wear a needlessly tight workout shirt, and hit a very intentional flex, while Kota walks in looking Tom Ford as hell. (Or maybe we're to believe Kenny only had BC merch left, and couldn't bring himself to wear it.)

-Red Shoes kinda disrupting the action, even outside the ring, is of course perfect.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK

CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH

Suzuki is the master of evil. Make sure to watch the presser too, with his "toast" and subsequent mother of all sinister cackles.

Here's subtitled version of that New Beginning presser. I love him slamming the Coors.

It would be nice to see TAKA go on a surly old guy tear through the Junior division instead of being just a backup guy, if he's still got a run left in him. 

And of course my true dream is Dick Togo overcoming his TB and joining Suzuki-gun just for shits and grins

• Like 2

Watched Tana/Suzuki. Not sure if I liked it as much as the Goto match, but the selling was off the charts and Suzuki is, once again, the master of evil. Fujiwara headbutt and armbar, faking out Tana after the Hi Fly Flow, those disgusting heel hooks. Just vicious. Tana's selling is A #1 and the best for everything and he clearly looked lesser in defeat. The Dailymotion file had the English commentary and though I'm no fan of Kevin Kelly it wasn't half bad, kind of subdued for the most part. Don Callis needs to learn the difference between a Sharpshooter and a Texas Cloverleaf though, haha. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

TAKA might have the best "fuck you" face in all of wrestling. He just keeps this look on his face that really shows how little he thinks of you. It's fucking tremendous.

Honestly, I love Suzuki-gun's island of misfit juniors. Maybe Despy has a little higher ceiling since he's a bit younger, but otherwise they're just asshole heel henchmen who know it and embrace it. (Although since their current angle is preventing the "good guys" from committing in-ring sexual assault, they're necessarily faces at the moment.)

So I am still new to New Japan and I just wanted to ask about Jay White. Does New Japan push new talent so...heavy? A lot? I mean when I researched that they pretty much did the same with Okada and Naito, but with Jay White...he is just so meh.

I don't get it. I am happy that they got the title off Omega because, let's face it, the US Title needed a champion like Omega for it to even be remotely prestigious. Kenny did not need the title. But to someone like White? The title now feels like New Japan's version of the European Title. A secondary Intercontinental Title if that makes sense. Kind of wish that New Japan offered Ricochet a contract so he could have won it, but whatever. It's not like I hate White. I feel like he needs some seasoning.

Still working through the second show. Just wanted to say that Bucks-R3K has obvious body part psychology but it's very different from a traditional body part psychology match. At no point does Matt get his back worked over.  Instead, he hurts it himself by doing a move, and then the match is about how he can get around his hurt back in order to creatively keep hitting all his moves, because pretty much every move that he hits normally hurts his back more.  I'm pretty sure the Bucks were on offense for most of the match, and I guess the point must have been to portray them as being way ahead of Roppongi 3K even though they no longer have the titles.

1 hour ago, Kyuubi said:

So I am still new to New Japan and I just wanted to ask about Jay White. Does New Japan push new talent so...heavy? A lot? I mean when I researched that they pretty much did the same with Okada and Naito, but with Jay White...he is just so meh.

I don't get it. I am happy that they got the title off Omega because, let's face it, the US Title needed a champion like Omega for it to even be remotely prestigious. Kenny did not need the title. But to someone like White? The title now feels like New Japan's version of the European Title. A secondary Intercontinental Title if that makes sense. Kind of wish that New Japan offered Ricochet a contract so he could have won it, but whatever. It's not like I hate White. I feel like he needs some seasoning.

I'm guessing they probably tried to get Rico on a better deal but he's a guy that's dreamed of WWE, so that was never in the cards unfortunately.

The trend has usually been to push returnees from excursions pretty hard. I don't think Jay could afford to lose two big high profile singles matches in a row, and clearly they're going in a different direction with Omega where a title isn't necessary to headline shows (that first Golden Lovers tag match!!!!), so it makes sense from that perspective. I think the idea is that Jay will grow into the role rather than being ready. It's not perfect but I've seen enough good White singles matches in the UK/US to think he'll come good in time. He should go Popek Monster and get facial scarification. O_O I'm guessing he will tweak his gimmick here and there over time because it's not quite clicking as of now.

With SANADA & EVIL helping beef up the tag division temporarily at least (my body still needs Chosen Bros long term), I feel like the last real glaring weakness with the roster is the junior tag division. They need teams and there are no shortage of great foreign li'l dudes that can go and would be great for the company. Maybe a native team from the indies to keep the Japanese/gaikokujin ratio not completely one-sided. 

20 hours ago, iowanole said:

I really wish more fans could have been exposed to Suzuki 5-8 years ago.  He was and still is my NJPW fav.  Wish he would have gotten a run with the big title, but he’s still kicking ass.

I was first exposed to Suzuki around 2005-2006-ish with NOAH and definitely enjoyed his work there.  NOAH was way more in-ring centric, especially compared to NJPW. He just seemed to play this natural heel and bad guy character very well, and he had this really unique look with like a spider image shaved into his head plus that sort of like half-mohawk cut. He and KENTA (Hideo Itami) also had this really good match way back when when they absolutely beat the hell out of each other. KENTA was basically NOAH's top junior and one of their top aces at the time, so it was a really fun match to watch. I always felt like Suzuki could've or probably should've been the GHC champion a lot earlier than when he finally did win it. 

• Like 1

I'd seen a little of Suzuki before his title shot against Akiyama in 2006 but that was the match that cemented him as great. As a relatively casual watcher of Japanese stuff, he always stuck out as being unique and interesting, and also a total bad ass.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2018 at 9:44 PM, Curt McGirt said:

CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK

CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH

Suzuki is the master of evil. Make sure to watch the presser too, with his "toast" and subsequent mother of all sinister cackles.

Suzuki is king sized. Loved the match, loved the promo and the presser... Good god, I feel like I need an exorcism now.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2018 at 8:24 PM, iowanole said:

I really wish more fans could have been exposed to Suzuki 5-8 years ago.  He was and still is my NJPW fav.  Wish he would have gotten a run with the big title, but he’s still kicking ass.

He'd still be a great transitional champ between others on top. And it would complete the cycle since he also held the Triple Crown and GHC titles.

• Like 1