DVDVR Message Board

NJPW The New Beginning 2018

Raziel

47 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

GOLDEN LOVERS~!

Yeah, umm, everyone? I'm gonna be insufferable about this. They got confetti for a hug, and Kenny got his music played, because love was the real championship all along. God. I shouted. I'm stoked. 

Good for Jay too, I guess. And maybe the best Bucks match I've ever seen. LIJ look impossibly cool when they all dress up for a night on the town.

Lot's of good things on this show. But.

• Sad 1

I only caught the main, got home just in time to see Yo and Sho celebrating. But holy fuck Gedo with the booking master class in the main/post match. Just flat out awesome.

Cody/Page vs Lovers anyone?

CRUCIALLY IMPORTANT UPDATE

My guess is we get Cody/Scurll vs Golden Lovers at SS Evolved, and Page does challenge White. But they could wrestle the Bucks too, even if they were creatively removed from the situation, so we don't really know where the tension level is there. (But the match should happen.)

Only started watching from the end of the LIJ match (Sanada speaks!). YOSHI-HASHI trying to go after Naito post-match is slightly negated by none of the LIJ members caring a whit.

As others have said, that was probably one of the Bucks' best matches, definitely their best in NJPW. No fooling around, just working a match around two injured backs plus they use Matt's bad back as the spark that finally turns the Bullet Club on Kenny.

US title match was OK. Kenny took Jay's moves well (i.e. on his head) to make him look like a killer but they didn't really go anywhere with that laughing bit. I would be fine with that being Jay's hulking up move but there was too much space between that and when he went back on offense. He also should have done more belly to backs because the offense exchange didn't feel equal.

Would they have ever turned Ibushi on Kenny? I mean, I enjoyed the "release" that we got out of the Golden Lovers reunion but it just seemed like an interesting direction.

I was (figuratively) that woman in the audience shrieking when Kota extended his hand. KOTA HAD A SINGLE TEAR, GUYS! That was pretty well perfect and I'm entirely verklempt. Fuckin' Matt Jackson selling the shove and his back, holding it on the way to the back. Perfectly put together in the circumstance even if we didn't get the match between them before that could've been the most dramatic thing of all timez. 

I chose to watch NXT instead of this. I fucked up.

• Like 2

MILANO COLLECTION AT WAS CRYING! The cameras cut back to the commentary booth (shaped like a table) and he's wiping away tears and sniffling after sobbing through some words before the camera had to cut away for the Golden Lovers storming past the media. I love that man so much.

giphy.gif

Okada... lol

• Like 8

Okada, thinking about how he  just had to issue something close to a public apology (at least an explanation) for... being in a relationship: "And they get streamers in the middle of the ring?" 

I love everything about this. Wrestling, man. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Would Bullet Club work in the US without Kenny, and would Kenny and Ibushi have anyone in their faction (I can see Yujiro joining them- if only so they can have someone to eat pins)?

Could even see a three-way split with the Tongans (who would probably be the "real" Bullet cub) , Cody's group, and Kenny's group.

Well, there's no Bullet Club on the Koraken shows or Osaka, so that saves explaining the split for a while.

BC works without Kenny, depending on what the Bucks do.  But Team Tonga not showing up might lead to them splitting off.

Seems to indicate a faction that’s mostly unbothered by today’s drama

Honestly, I’m all for further splintering across the board. LIJ is the only group with a coherent identity, where you don’t have to remind yourself who belongs on a given tour. Everyone else could use some—sorry—chaos.

I feel like it's worth noting that Page was the only person who seemed enthusiastic about going along with Cody's scheme.  Marty was protesting till the very end.  And of course, the Bucks were gone.  I imagine there will be excellent drama milked from figuring out where everybody stands moving forward.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alstein said:

Would Bullet Club work in the US without Kenny, and would Kenny and Ibushi have anyone in their faction (I can see Yujiro joining them- if only so they can have someone to eat pins)?

Could even see a three-way split with the Tongans (who would probably be the "real" Bullet cub) , Cody's group, and Kenny's group.

I think it has been proven with the fan base and how the shirts at Hot Topic are selling that as long as the Young Bucks are in the Bullet Club then you can put almost anyone in the group and people will mark out.   In fact if they did a 3 way split most of the fans would probably support all of them.  

That would be the best option. I don't think Kenny should be associated with Bullet Club at this stage. It would water down his turn. He's so ridiculously popular that he and Ibushi and whomever joins them could run with their own merch/stable idea and make a mint off t-shirts because it would be something new and different. Kind of want to see green and yellow Kendog return. OGBC totally makes sense too. They never really accepted Kenny as leader or The Elite idea and don't give a shit about Cody & the ROH guys it would seem either.

I had trouble sleeping after watching the angle last night because I was so gotdamned pumped up. Took forever to come down from that high.

Wow this was a major turning point type of show. I wasn't expecting the two title changes to happen last night. The Bucks lost the titles right back, and you Jay White winning the US title the night after Tanahashi lost the Intercontinental title to Suzuki.

I also wasn't expecting the implosion of the Bullet Club to happen last night already, figured it would've kept going for a while longer, but seeing the reunion of Omega and Ibushi was amazing. Not sure what this does to the Bullet Club/Elite factions or if Cody Rhodes and Page will splinter off and the rest of the Bullet Club stays the same.

Was Omega losing the belt the start of grooming him for the heavyweight title

DUoj_ZQVwAAgpA7.jpg

• Like 2