DVDVR Message Board

UFC 165: Jones vs. Gustafsson (9/21/2013) - Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Air Canada Centre)

Elsalvajeloco

if Jones beats Glover and Gus beats whoever he gets matched up against, it makes the rematch that much more appetizing. Gives both guys plenty of time to analyze their weaknesses and better prepare for each other. i really think this is the best way to go about it.

unless one of them loses, in which case chaos ensues.

if Jones beats Glover and Gus beats whoever he gets matched up against, it makes the rematch that much more appetizing. Gives both guys plenty of time to analyze their weaknesses and better prepare for each other. i really think this is the best way to go about it.

If Jones lost to Glover, it wouldn't be that bad.  Assuming Gus wins, you then book Glover vs Gus and Jones vs whoever.  Assuming Jones wins vs whoever, he then gets a title shot at either Gus or Glover, which at that point would be good either way.

• Like 1

If Jones lost to Glover, it wouldn't be that bad.  Assuming Gus wins, you then book Glover vs Gus and Jones vs whoever.  Assuming Jones wins vs whoever, he then gets a title shot at either Gus or Glover, which at that point would be good either way.

that's a good point. if that situation would arise, it also gives them a chance to have another credible challenger rise up. Whether that would be a Dan Henderson or Phil Davis having an impressive showing, or even someone like Thiago Silva rising up from the middle of the pack, or even an up-and-comer who gets a big upset. It lets them build some options.

I just rewatched this fight with a friend of mine, and I was bearing down to see if my judging would change watching it again. It didn't - I still gave 2, 4 and 5 to Jones. I thought 2 was Jones' round, but not clearly his round like Round 4 was. I could see where someone would give that round to Gustafsson.

I originally gave 1 to Gustafsson, but upon rewatching it, that round is SO damn close. I could easily see someone giving that round to Jones. Same with round 3 - I originally gave it to Gustafsson, and still did upon rewatching it, but it could've gone Jones' way, too - it wasn't as close as round 1, but is still close.

So, I wouldn't have been shocked to have someone score it as Jones winning all 5 rounds, and I wouldn't be shocked to have someone score it as 3-2 Gustafsson. The 4-1 score isn't surprising at all. 

"It should have been a split decision" – Anyone who makes this comment should immediately be ignored on judging for the rest of their natural lives. Judges have no idea what the other judges are scoring or thinking. They are all independent. You can say that in a three-round fight it should have been 29-28, but even in the closest of fights, all three judges can be in agreement of who won and there is nothing wrong with the judging

This times a million.  People that say this need their head examined or at least have things explained to them so they see how ridiculous it sounds to say that judges should have disagreed with each other.   

I guess we can add Steve Austin to that list:

"I think the champion has to get his ass beat a little more than that to lose the title," he said.  "I don't know how to score fights, but I had it 3-2 Gustafsson.  When they said unanimous decision, it caught me off guard."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/9/28/4775240/pro-wrestlings-former-biggest-star-steve-austin-looks-at-mma

At least he admits he doesn't know how to score fights. 

I just rewatched this fight with a friend of mine, and I was bearing down to see if my judging would change watching it again. It didn't - I still gave 2, 4 and 5 to Jones.

I rewatched the fight twice the day the fight took place to see if my scoring changed. It didn't. 3-2 to Gustafsson with Gustafsson winning rounds one, two and three, As I said earlier in the thread, the divided scoring reminds me of Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard at UFC 125: Resolution.

• 3 weeks later...