DVDVR Message Board

UFC 165: Jones vs. Gustafsson (9/21/2013) - Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Air Canada Centre)

Elsalvajeloco

Posted Image

UFC 165: Jones vs. Gustafsson
September 21, 2013
Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Air Canada Centre)

UFC Light Heavyweight Championship: Jon Jones © (204.5) vs. Alexander Gustafsson (204.5) (sixth defense) - Jones, DEC (unanimous)
Interim UFC Bantamweight Championship: Renan Barão © (135) vs. Eddie Wineland (135.25) - Barão, TKO (spinning back kick and punches), R2 (0:35)
Brendan Schaub (237) vs. Matt Mitrione (260.5) - Schaub, SUB (d'arce choke), R1 (4:06)
Costa Philippou (186) vs. Francis Carmont (186) - Carmont, DEC (unanimous)
Pat Healy (155.75) vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov (156) - Nurmagomedov, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Mike Ricci (155.5) vs. Myles Jury (156) - Jury, DEC (split)
Ivan Menjivar (137) vs. Wilson Reis (135) - Reis, DEC (unanimous)
Chris Clements (169.5) vs. Stephen Thompson (170.5) - Thompson, KO (punches), R2 (1:27)
Mitch Gagnon (136) vs. Dustin Kimura (136) - Gagnon, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (4:05)

Facebook Preliminary Card:
John Makdessi (155) vs. Renée Forte (155.5) - Makdessi, KO (punches), R1 (2:01)
Jesse Ronson (155.5) vs. Michel Prazeres (155) - Prazeres, DEC (split)
Roland Delorme (136) vs. Alex Caceres (136) - Caceres, DEC (split)
Nandor Guelmino (230) vs. Daniel Omielańczuk (245.5) - Omielańczuk, KO (punches), R3 (3:18)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Knockout of the Night: Renan Barão
Submission of the Night: Mitch Gagnon
Fight of the Night: Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson

Attendance: 15,504
Gate: $1.9 million
Buyrate: 325,000

Cancelled Bouts:
Mark Bocek vs. Michel Prazeres - Injury to Bocek
Ivan Menjivar vs. Norifumi Yamamoto - Injury to Yamamoto

• Like 2

Live blogs are saying that Gustafsson may eke out a split decision.  Is it really that close? 

EDIT: Nope,  My homie just tweeted that Jones won by unanimous decision.  Crowd was irate at The Tilted Kilt.  Gustaffsson won hearts and minds in Rounds 1-4.

Live blogs are saying that Gustafsson may eke out a split decision.  Is it really that close? 

Yeah it was. Hard to tell who was going to get the decision until one of the judges scored it 49-46 since it was unlikely anyone was giving Gustafsson either of the last 2 rounds.

He was working on instincts in the last round. When he put his hand on his hips with 2 to go, I thought it was over but he just kept going.

Jones was pretty shook during that interview. Legitimately surprised that Gustafsson didn't go down.

Only caught the main but the result was terrible. There is no way Jones should have won a unanimous decision, let alone a 49-46 card. The scoring was absurd to me and I like Jones.

An amazing fight which I thought Gus survived through to win, but I guess having Nike and Gatorade as sponsors makes you a face of the UFC so losing a decision is like NBA stars getting called for traveling, it doesn't happen.

More people could have saw this and been super pumped for the rematch if they didn't market Gustafsson like he was Gan McGee. But hey, I don't make the decisions.

I'm surprised they didn't have Al Snow and the JOB Squad crew accompany him to cageside.

• Like 2