DVDVR Message Board

2018 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

RIPPA

On 7/7/2018 at 3:27 PM, Ace said:

Found out my friend from high school that was in the LV shootings last year is getting an E:60 segment this fall for the anniversary. 

I have a friend who was there too, but I'm missing something...what is the sports angle?  I thought it was a country music concert.

3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I have a friend who was there too, but I'm missing something...what is the sports angle?  I thought it was a country music concert.

Probably the Vegas Golden Knights and how they helped the city heal or something along those lines.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Probably the Vegas Golden Knights and how they helped the city heal or something along those lines.

That makes some sense, even though I don't know how much these things actually help these situations.  I'm a pretty big sports fan, but I've yet to find a sporting event that made me feel better for a massacre.  

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

That makes some sense, even though I don't know how much these things actually help these situations.  I'm a pretty big sports fan, but I've yet to find a sporting event that made me feel better for a massacre.  

Well from the narratives that are out there. The Red Sox game after the marathon where Big Papa cursed and such was said to bring the spirits of the city up. Lots of people said seeing the Yanks and Mets get back to playing braught back a level of normalcy to NYC after 9/11. Some times its not so much about making things better but showing that we can move forward.

3 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

Well from the narratives that are out there. The Red Sox game after the marathon where Big Papa cursed and such was said to bring the spirits of the city up. Lots of people said seeing the Yanks and Mets get back to playing braught back a level of normalcy to NYC after 9/11. Some times its not so much about making things better but showing that we can move forward.

I'll say this.  In the moment, those things can help, just because it takes your mind off of things and there is a sense of camaraderie.  That is a great thing, but when the game is over these people have to go back to picking up the pieces of their lives.  The narratives are out there, but I don't know how much of those narratives actually fit the reality.  My mom worked for the Bush-Clinton Katrina fund for a while and went to New Orleans a few times in the years after Katrina.  Trust me when I tell you that the Super Bowl was cool, but those people's problems were still there once the game was over.  Their family members were dead or missing, their house was still destroyed, and the city was still being rebuilt.  

A story I'd love to see covered is what has happened to people from New Orleans who were relocated.  For the most part, I think it is one of the best "social programs" that we've ever done as a country.  I've heard some anecdotal evidence that being relocated and allowed to temporarily live rent free and/or given employment took a lot of destitute people and put them in a position to turn their lives around.  The poor people in and around New Orleans were some of the poorest people in the country.   I'd like to see how those people fared once they were able to change environments and given an opportunity to live and work at a much lower cost than anyone else.  

23 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I'll say this.  In the moment, those things can help, just because it takes your mind off of things and there is a sense of camaraderie.  That is a great thing, but when the game is over these people have to go back to picking up the pieces of their lives.  The narratives are out there, but I don't know how much of those narratives actually fit the reality.  My mom worked for the Bush-Clinton Katrina fund for a while and went to New Orleans a few times in the years after Katrina.  Trust me when I tell you that the Super Bowl was cool, but those people's problems were still there once the game was over.  Their family members were dead or missing, their house was still destroyed, and the city was still being rebuilt.  

A story I'd love to see covered is what has happened to people from New Orleans who were relocated.  For the most part, I think it is one of the best "social programs" that we've ever done as a country.  I've heard some anecdotal evidence that being relocated and allowed to temporarily live rent free and/or given employment took a lot of destitute people and put them in a position to turn their lives around.  The poor people in and around New Orleans were some of the poorest people in the country.   I'd like to see how those people fared once they were able to change environments and given an opportunity to live and work at a much lower cost than anyone else.  

I think there are a few stories about high school kids that were part of those moved to Huston and by being in better schools were able to get sports scholarships and then to the pros but I could be wrong.

5 hours ago, supremebve said:

Husband's (who got shot once in the wrist) is a coach at Paramount HS. Autumn (shot in back, jaw, and hand) was the activities advisor. Prolly a lot about how the teams rallied together to raise money for her medical care this past year. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations to Barstool Sports for making the news for reasons other than being overtly racist:

Barstool Sports, a website enjoyed by young men who get really angry when their friends don’t want to go out drinking with them for a third night in a row, no longer has an official Twitch channel. This is because one of their employees threatened to swat another Twitch streamer.

The threat was made on Sunday night, by a Barstool employee named Devlin D’Zmura who was operating the site’s Twitch channel. Another Twitch streamer who goes by LikeButta was streaming Barstool’s pay-per-view boxing event on his channel, and D’Zmura tried to get him to stop by threatening to swat him:

ESPN is changing it's early afternoon schedule again. Sportsnation has been canceled and High Noon(still named that even though it won't air at noon anymore) will now be 30 minutes and air at 4pm est. The noon Sportscenter will return. I'm sad that they are changing High Noon as I enjoyed the show and the hour format let it breathe compared to the other shows. It was only a matter a time for Sportsnation after Wiley left for Fox. 

On 8/10/2018 at 10:53 PM, Tim Evans said:

ESPN is changing it's early afternoon schedule again. Sportsnation has been canceled and High Noon(still named that even though it won't air at noon anymore) will now be 30 minutes and air at 4pm est. The noon Sportscenter will return. I'm sad that they are changing High Noon as I enjoyed the show and the hour format let it breathe compared to the other shows. It was only a matter a time for Sportsnation after Wiley left for Fox. 

Yeah, I really think it worked as a longer show because both Bomani and Pablo have the ability to speak in depth about a topic not just in sound bites.  It is what sets them apart from all the other sports shows.  Something is going to happen where the conversation needs to be longer than 20-30 second thoughts, and that should be the show where these things are discussed...but oh well.  

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Bob Ley announced that he is taking a six month sabbatical from ESPN starting Oct 1

He is scheduled to return on April 1

I miss ESPN having a major role in soccer and Bob Ley being the face of it.

I don't have a problem with her opinion (though I don't agree and am not giving up football any time in the foreseeable future), but i did wonder how her bosses would react to her thanking football for freeing up her weekends on air.

I actually like Beadle so I'm not one of the people calling her out for various things, but she and Greenberg have negative chemistry together.  I actually think Katie Nolan would play off Greenie well, but the whole show seems a badly thought out trainwreck, so Nolan is probably right that the failure would have gotten hung on her.

What are the ratings like for Golic's radio show? I like Golic well enough, find Trey Wingo to be mostly dull.

I don't know if Beadle has ever had chemistry with anyone ESPN related.  That SportsNation show was her trying to be voice of reason when everyone else was in wacky shtick mode.  When she would be on radio shows with other women and she would be the wacky shtick person when most of the women's show were for serious discussion.  

By the way it doesn't say alot for your brand when you don't watch the product (supposedly) for 2 years and can talk like you watch it regularly.