DVDVR Message Board

2018 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...

An I being harsh here or was the ESPN documentary on sports and 9/11 that can be boiled down to "3,000 people were killed but sports made it all better" just a bit too much?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

An I being harsh here or was the ESPN documentary on sports and 9/11 that can be boiled down to "3,000 people were killed but sports made it all better" just a bit too much?

A few years ago when 9/11 was on a Sunday, the NFL on Fox had this huge video package that basically declared the NFL the lynchpin of America's recovery. It pissed me off so fucking much man.

I'm glad I didn't see this.

• Like 2

I've said this over and over again, but we shouldn't treat sports, which ultimately don't matter like they are equal to things that actually do matter.  9/11 is one of the worst tragedies in American history, those games were going to be played any damn way.  If 9/11 would have never happened, those same exact games would have.  They don't get to be heroes because they played a game afterwards, when people actually fucking died being actual fucking heroes during and after the tragedy.  It was nice to watch a game after the fact, that's it, those games don't mean anything more than that.  

• Like 3

On 9/11/2018 at 8:33 PM, sabremike said:

I watched the show and I think some of it actually was very helpful in the aftermath of 9/11.  Especially the New York based stuff like the Yankees in the World Series, Piazza's game winner in the game back, and the Patriots game where one of the linemen lost a brother at the twin towers and 3 of his other brothers were first responders.   But trying to talk about how important a USA Women's soccer exhibition game in Ohio or a NASCAR race in Dover DE was really pushing it.  I mean hell using that standard the Smackdown after 9/11 should be considered as well.  But they didn't create a exhibit for that in the Museum and given Stephanie comments it is probably for the best.

Still always cracks me when they talk about Bush throwing out the first pitch when Jeter playfully talks shit while he was warming up

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Literally this first comment is from a guy going it will suck because he doesn't like listening to women announcers. You can't make this up.

Oh and he also is a Buckeye.... ?

As a native of the fair to middling state of Ohio, I feel attacked.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike Francesa's return to WFAN is not going well.  Sort of.  

He's back to #1 in the afternoons, but he's miserable. (More so.) He's now in the middle of contract negotiations and yesterday he basically spent the entire show kvetching and threatening to quit and take his show to his app.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/22/uncomfortable-mike-francesa-threatens-to-quit-wfan-or-app/

As a reminder, he's charging $9 a month for his "The Mike's On" app, he only shows a video simulcast of his show, gives you access to his archives (but apparently very prominent by its absence is his post-9/11 show), he refuses to divulge the subscription numbers for, and again, he charges $9 a month for!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 12:01 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Mike Franseca's response to Stan Lee's death: "Who cares?"

You can get such scintillating opinions for just $9.99)

To be fair, that's going to be a lot of people's opinion when Franseca passes.

Starting to enjoy the Golic and Wingo show.  Been listening to an hour or so most mornings lately.

Get Up has actually gotten worse, imo, since they dumped Beadle.  It seems to have no identity, direction, or identity of it's own.  Utterly generic.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:11 AM, RIPPA said:

Hopefully, she writes more books.  She's had three books published (a novel about a runner, a memoir about coming out as gay, and a non-fiction book about the death of a college runner and a look at the pressures young people - especially college athletes - are under).  She seems kinda wasted as a talking head at ESPN (or Fox, CBS, whatever).

On 11/13/2018 at 12:01 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Mike Franseca's response to Stan Lee's death: "Who cares?"

You can get such scintillating opinions for just $9.99)

Franseca is a piece of shit. Even being a Yankee fan, I can't defend him. He wasn't as bad when it was him and Mad Dog, as they kind of balanced each other out. The best show on WFAN is Joe & Evan.

On 11/21/2018 at 8:35 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Franseca is a piece of shit. Even being a Yankee fan, I can't defend him. He wasn't as bad when it was him and Mad Dog, as they kind of balanced each other out. The best show on WFAN is Joe & Evan.

Francesa makes me pine for the glory days of Boomer and Carton lol

• Like 1