DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2018

Kevin Wilson

6 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

They sold out Osaka-Jo Hall and Budokan Hall immediately this year and they aren’t that much smaller. I really think if they held a show like Dominion or G1 Finals at Yokohama, it would sell out. Unless Yokohama is a bad wrestling market?

My guess would be that problem is that they don't run many shows there. I know that every G1 they do one show there on anniversary day of Inoki/Fujinami draw, but I'm not sure now if they do anything else there at all asides of some irrelevant house shows here and there. The way I see it NJPW's three main markets are Tokyo, Osaka and Fukuoka. My another guess would be that we'll see Osaka Dome attempt before we see Yokohama Arena again.

52 minutes ago, Archibald said:

My guess would be that problem is that they don't run many shows there. I know that every G1 they do one show there on anniversary day of Inoki/Fujinami draw, but I'm not sure now if they do anything else there at all asides of some irrelevant house shows here and there. The way I see it NJPW's three main markets are Tokyo, Osaka and Fukuoka. My another guess would be that we'll see Osaka Dome attempt before we see Yokohama Arena again.

If Tokyo Dome sells out this year, I think it’s fair to say that they try Osaka Dome for Dominion. It’s clear that Dominion has outgrown Osaka-Jo but there’s no large arena between Osaka-Jo and Osaka Dome in size. Anyway, isn’t Yokohama part of the Tokyo metro area? Wouldn’t the markets overlap?

NJPW/CMLL released a list of wrestlers that are going to appear on FantasticaMania:

Atlantis, Místico, Caristico, Volador Jr. , Dragón Lee, Titán, Ángel de Oro, Soberano Jr., Flyer (NJPW debut), El Audaz (NJPW debut), Atlantis Jr. (first match!), Último Guerrero, El Terrible, Gran Guerrero, Bárbaro Cavernario, Sansón, El Cuatrero, Forastero (NJPW debut), Okumura, Templario (NJPW debut)

Rush won't be here, might be that they are going to restart Rush/La Park feud by that time? And big news is that Atlantis kid gets his first match (as Atlantis Jr.) on this tour. I wonder if he is any good? Either way probably a safe bet that he'll become main eventer in CMLL very fast regardless of how good he is.

Toyko dome is more likely to sell out if they push someone new vs above Okada eventually. They did somewhat Super Rookied Okada (young age) to the top. It's Sad Kitamura is missing in action.

HauntingNaughtyGalapagospenguin-size_res

• Like 1

Zeus has spent so long trying to prove himself. It was nice to see him, now established as champ, just go into total beast mode. I’m hoping they can put him in a decent program now—maybe against the new Joe/James team.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

What’s your top 5-10 right now?

alright

Ishii-Omega G1 leads

then all of these have a shot at #2
Ishii-Ibushi G1
Tanahashi-Ibushi G1
Hiromu-Ishimori BOSJ
Kenny-Okada - Dominion

6-10 contenders
Zeus-Kento for Triple Crown
Sugiura-Nakajima for GHC
Cody-Aldis for NWA at All In (not the greatest match but felt meaningful)
Suzuki-Riddle at Bloodsport
Ibushi-Naito G1
Thatcher/WALTER-King/Bateman at PWG All Star Weekend
Okada-Tanahashi (all)
CIMA-Takeshita - DDT Peter Pan
Golden Lovers-CHAOS at FS Unleashed

missed out loads of incredible matches too. And not even seen any BJW, Zero1, W1, or joshi this year. Shame.

3 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

alright

Ishii-Omega G1 leads

then all of these have a shot at #2
Ishii-Ibushi G1
Tanahashi-Ibushi G1
Hiromu-Ishimori BOSJ
Kenny-Okada - Dominion

6-10 contenders
Zeus-Kento for Triple Crown
Sugiura-Nakajima for GHC
Cody-Aldis for NWA at All In (not the greatest match but felt meaningful)
Suzuki-Riddle at Bloodsport
Ibushi-Naito G1
Thatcher/WALTER-King/Bateman at PWG All Star Weekend
Okada-Tanahashi (all)
CIMA-Takeshita - DDT Peter Pan
Golden Lovers-CHAOS at FS Unleashed

missed out loads of incredible matches too. And not even seen any BJW, Zero1, W1, or joshi this year. Shame.

Which of these do you have at full 5*? I’m assuming everything else is 4.75*?

10 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Which of these do you have at full 5*? I’m assuming everything else is 4.75*?

so all the top 5 are 5* for me. after that it gets tricky. no way is Cody-Aldis worth 4.75, nor Riddle-Suzuki. But I liked what they were about and how they stand out and did something different in 2018. The rest are traditionally very good and I guess 4.5 to maybe even 5, but I need to see some again. I might have underrated that GL-Chaos tag purely because it's those same four guys again but christ I was into it.

6 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

so all the top 5 are 5* for me. after that it gets tricky. no way is Cody-Aldis worth 4.75, nor Riddle-Suzuki. But I liked what they were about and how they stand out and did something different in 2018. The rest are traditionally very good and I guess 4.5 to maybe even 5, but I need to see some again. I might have underrated that GL-Chaos tag purely because it's those same four guys again but christ I was into it.

So I haven’t seen CIMA/Takeshita but from what I saw, the reaction seemed to be that it was a great match but I didn’t really see any MOTYC talk. Was it really that good?

2 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

name 'em brutha

My top ten at the time:

Takagi vs Hino (4/15)

Miyahara vs Marufuji (finals!)

Miyahara vs Nomura (4/8)

Takagi vs Ishikawa (4/29)

Akiyama vs Zeus (4/21) 

Suwama vs Marufuji (4/21)

Akiyama vs Kai (4/10)

Hino vs Miyahara (4/29)

Ishikawa vs Nomura (4/16)

Akiyama vs Marufuji (4/25)

Note that, inasmuch as there’s a consensus, the accepted top three seem to be Kento/Maru, Shingo/Ishikawa, and Akiyama/Maru. 

Suwama/Akiyama also worth hunting down to see Suwama throw a row of chairs at Akiyama and then choke him out in the middle of the ring.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

So I haven’t seen CIMA/Takeshita but from what I saw, the reaction seemed to be that it was a great match but I didn’t really see any MOTYC talk. Was it really that good?

For me it is CIMA's best in a while (maybe this decade?) and Takeshita looks like a proper ace. 

Speaking of the CC, I dunno how AJ will match last year's participants. I can't imagine a couple of available competitors as fun as Shingo and Marufuji. Maybe they can get Hino back, and bring in Okabayashi and ... Irie? Not sure who else is even available. I'd be down for Nagata.

Yeah, it's not just (obviously) self-destructive, it also undermines basically everything else that happens in a match. "Oh, that was all worked, but this, this is real." So in that sense it's not really even sacrificing for your art, or whatever, because I think it more often detracts. (But Okada/Shibata is still one of the best matches I've ever seen, so I'm hopelessly inconsistent on that point.)

Nice to see All Japan, NOAH, and New Japan chip in their (nominal) aces already; although many are (rightly, I think) noting the heretofore lack of Okada/Naito/Omega, Tana's the guy who has set himself up as the banner-carrier of puro tradition.

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

Omega is on his annual "will he go to WWE" story so nothing strange that he is not announced for it. And well, I'm not sure that I want every NJPW's big hitter on it since it potentially could overshadow everything else.

That's true. And you could argue that Naito's character--if not the superfan who plays him--shouldn't really be a part of things like this. (But then I'd argue he's the two-time reigning Tokyo Sports MVP, and this is their show.)

But at least we could get Kento and Tana in the same ring. If you'll all permit me some outrageous fantasy booking... Akiyama/Kento versus Tana/Honma, with Honma there to get pinned by Miyahara; Tana then guests on a big All Japan show and goes over Akiyama, challenges for the TC against Kento and wins, draws some big houses for All Japan, loses it back after a few months. (This is 100% not happening but whatever.)

Since he's back in a promotional capacity, Kawada needs to be there, right? Kobashi too.