DVDVR Message Board

2018 RING OF HONOR THREAD

58 minutes ago, Ace said:

Alex Shelley apparently announced his retirement tonight. 

Hmm, that isn't altogether surprising. He was on WOL sometime last year or earlier this and talked about transitioning away from wrestling, as he was completing a degree of some sort about which I've since forgotten the specifics. Honestly, he sounded jaded and done with it. While I don't really love his style of pro-wrestling these days, I admit to being a Generation Next fan and thought he was pretty rad back in the '04-'05 ROH era. 

I really thought Shelley would become a much bigger deal.  He seemed at ease in the role of faction leader during the GN days and I kinda assumed he would become a top singles guy on the indy scene (and hopefully parlay that into a WWE job or spot at top of TNA's card).  And his initial run in TNA made it seem like he'd get a nice push.

Instead, he became a tag team guy and stayed in that spot for 10+ years.  There are worse fates.  TimeSplitters and Motor City Machine Guns were both pretty over in a lot of places.  Still seems like Shelley could have done better if things had broken differently for him.

Yeah, at one point, i thought the top heels on the indys during the later 2000's/early 2010's would be Jimmy Rave and Alex Shelley.  Missed by a wide margin on those two.

• Like 1

ROH & NJPW are doing another War of The Worlds tour this year!

• November  7 -- Lewiston, Maine (Androscoggin Bank Colisee)
  • November 8 -- Lowell, Massachusetts (Lowell Memorial Auditorium)
  • November 9 -- Buffalo, New York (Buffalo RiverWorks)
  • November 11 -- Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Mattamy Centre)

So glad they are running Mattamy! So much better than Ted Reeve.

Channel surfing and landed on Ring of Honor on that charge channel. My cable provider carries the channel.

The building they are running is way to big for them and you can see a ton of empty seats in the bleachers. Its a little distracting while watching maybe making them a little bush league. Idk I’m being nit picky.

Silas Young vs former TNA World Heavyweight Champion, Chris Sabin was really good. Or at least I enjoyed it. It was action packed and fast paced but never rushed. Silas’ ground and pound and Sabins aerial assault styles jelled well together. It was a fun opener.

Hurricane vs Marty Scrull, say what you want about Hurricane not belonging in ROH or whatever but when I was 12 he was my favorite wrestler you couldn’t tell me Hurricane shouldn’t be world champ. So I’m partial to this match. It’s hero vs villain so right of the back it’s high stakes. The crowd popped big for the Hurricane as it should be. Thought this match was really good. I don’t dislike Marty Scrull I can watch a Marty Scrull match. Other being a Hurricane fan and reliving my younger years of being a wrestling fan it wasn’t all comedy spots. There were comedy spots but they also wrestled. Scrull did a good job of playing the heel in this one he was nasty like any good villain. Spitting in Helms face and some trash talking. Helms is older and not as fast as he once was but the dude can still go. He more than held his own here. Helms hit a swinging neckbreaker on Scrull off the top rope that was cool.

That Triple Threat 6 man tag match main event, was what you’d think it would be. Not saying that’s a bad thing but it was spotfest. There was lot of cool shit. It was wild and chaotic and a blast. There was no psychology it was all just a bunch of moves. But sometimes all you need is moonsaults and crotch chops. Bushi sprayed mist in Todd Sinclair’s face, that got a big pop. The Young Bucks hit a bunch of super kicks. It was mindless fun and the crowd had a blast and it came off as exciting on TV.

If anyone is planning on going to the msg show and wants my Honor Club presale code to buy tickets Wednesday, pm me. It can be used once to buy up to 8 tickets and I'm definitely not going.

• Like 1

Just got my tickets for the G1 MSG show. $150 for 100 Level seating is a steal at the Garden for a show of this magnitude. Being from Jersey, getting to the Garden is much easier than the Barclays hence ROH over NXT for me Saturday night.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was honestly amazed at how reasonable the ticket range was, even with the Ticketmaster turd fees. We wound up with 200 Level seats at $56+20 a pop (@Dolfan in NYC is yo daddy)... I am way too stoked for a show that's almost exactly eight months away. :lol:

• Like 3

Oh yeah, this is gonna be a fun night. 

Also, I should probably start looking up ROH storylines since I'm actually paying money to see their product.   Wonder if they'd run a Lethal/Omega title for title match.

On 8/6/2018 at 2:01 AM, Web Conn said:

Channel surfing and landed on Ring of Honor on that charge channel. My cable provider carries the channel.

The building they are running is way to big for them and you can see a ton of empty seats in the bleachers. Its a little distracting while watching maybe making them a little bush league. Idk I’m being nit picky.

Silas Young vs former TNA World Heavyweight Champion, Chris Sabin was really good. Or at least I enjoyed it. It was action packed and fast paced but never rushed. Silas’ ground and pound and Sabins aerial assault styles jelled well together. It was a fun opener.

Hurricane vs Marty Scrull, say what you want about Hurricane not belonging in ROH or whatever but when I was 12 he was my favorite wrestler you couldn’t tell me Hurricane shouldn’t be world champ. So I’m partial to this match. It’s hero vs villain so right of the back it’s high stakes. The crowd popped big for the Hurricane as it should be. Thought this match was really good. I don’t dislike Marty Scrull I can watch a Marty Scrull match. Other being a Hurricane fan and reliving my younger years of being a wrestling fan it wasn’t all comedy spots. There were comedy spots but they also wrestled. Scrull did a good job of playing the heel in this one he was nasty like any good villain. Spitting in Helms face and some trash talking. Helms is older and not as fast as he once was but the dude can still go. He more than held his own here. Helms hit a swinging neckbreaker on Scrull off the top rope that was cool.

That Triple Threat 6 man tag match main event, was what you’d think it would be. Not saying that’s a bad thing but it was spotfest. There was lot of cool shit. It was wild and chaotic and a blast. There was no psychology it was all just a bunch of moves. But sometimes all you need is moonsaults and crotch chops. Bushi sprayed mist in Todd Sinclair’s face, that got a big pop. The Young Bucks hit a bunch of super kicks. It was mindless fun and the crowd had a blast and it came off as exciting on TV.

I really enjoyed this episode. I've been watching on Fite TV. I really have no complaints. Sabin and Young had a fine TV match. They really do mesh well together. It's funny watching Silas now, as I remember him on pre-shows having long hair and coming out to "Don't Stop Believin".

Anytime I get to see Marty Scurll is a plus for me. I love everything about The Villain character and he was heeling it up pretty well against The Hurricane. Helms can still go while mixing in the comedy, and I loved the attempt at the Vertabreaker. 

The main event was fun. Sure, spotfests aren't everybody's cup of tea, but they have their place. I love a good Superkick Party. I was pretty surprised LIJ went over. I thought Adam Page might pick up the win since they were in his home state of Virginia.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've got to wait for Friday to get my ticket. I hope my friend who moved from Jersey to North Carolina can make it. I've got the plague doctor costume all ready to to for this.

Either way, we deserve to see a picture of this.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, I should probably start looking up ROH storylines since I'm actually paying money to see their product.   Wonder if they'd run a Lethal/Omega title for title match.

That’s if WWE doesn’t snatch them up first. I think Kenny, Cody and the Bucks contracts are up in January and with all the new money coming in, I’m sure th E will throw big money at them. At the same time, I believe Nakumura’s contract is up around the same time so maybe he goes back to NJPW.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Man, I am going to be so bummed if Lethal still has the belt by then. He's fine, but they have really got to start doing a better job of creating new stars.

53 minutes ago, olythegreat89 said:

That’s if WWE doesn’t snatch them up first. I think Kenny, Cody and the Bucks contracts are up in January and with all the new money coming in, I’m sure th E will throw big money at them. At the same time, I believe Nakumura’s contract is up around the same time so maybe he goes back to NJPW.

At the same time though, getting to work the biggest US show of their lives at The World's Most Famous Arena™ would be quite the carrot if they stuck around.

41 minutes ago, Pete said:

At the same time though, getting to work the biggest US show of their lives at The World's Most Famous Arena™ would be quite the carrot if they stuck around.

Or, you know, sit in the audience and work the next night before a crowd that's literally 4 times bigger and an even bigger world-wide audience.    

All this said, I don't think either Kenny or Cody are going anywhere.   The Bucks?  Well, if they showed up in Brooklyn and superkicked new NXT champ Johnny Gargano out of his shoes, the pop would be ungodly. 

If I had money though, I'd guess the one to jump to the E would be Okada.