DVDVR Message Board

2018 RING OF HONOR THREAD

Not being privy to the interaction, I'd offer the caveats that he has to be diplomatic to some extent, and he might have been caught flat-footed and been a bit dismissive in the moment, and it might be a concern he's getting annoyed with having to field on a not-irregular basis with varying degrees of civility.  But it still seems like a profoundly dissatisfying response to a really shitty situation with regard to who ROH has gotten so far in bed with.

Tangent, but germane to being down on ROH in general: I was talking with a friend that boy does it seem like they are well and truly fucked right now when it comes to being anything more than a showcase for Japanese talent.  I had a lot of fun at the show last night, but outside of the Briscoes everyone I'm most interested in on the roster or a given card is imported from or doing more exciting shit elsewhere.  This has been true for a long time, but the confluence of NXT and the WWE routinely raiding the indies, the general indy boom (obviously in the US but also the excitement over the UK scene and even Australia now), Gabe growing out DGUSA/EVOLVE/WWN (and that relationship with the first point), the TV deal and the exclusive contracts/talent restrictions that come with it, reliance on the crutch of NJPW (and NOAH before that) to sell the product... does ROH have anything really unique or engaging to offer years post-monopoly on the "super indy" label?  And if NJPW finally bites the bullet on international expansion under their own banner? ????????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cyanide said:

Tangent, but germane to being down on ROH in general: I was talking with a friend that boy does it seem like they are well and truly fucked right now when it comes to being anything more than a showcase for Japanese talent.  I had a lot of fun at the show last night, but outside of the Briscoes everyone I'm most interested in on the roster or a given card is imported from or doing more exciting shit elsewhere.  This has been true for a long time, but the confluence of NXT and the WWE routinely raiding the indies, the general indy boom (obviously in the US but also the excitement over the UK scene and even Australia now), Gabe growing out DGUSA/EVOLVE/WWN (and that relationship with the first point), the TV deal and the exclusive contracts/talent restrictions that come with it, reliance on the crutch of NJPW (and NOAH before that) to sell the product... does ROH have anything really unique or engaging to offer years post-monopoly on the "super indy" label?  And if NJPW finally bites the bullet on international expansion under their own banner? ????????

They've done a shit job of finding new talent to fill out the roster.  There's a lot of good workers out there that they can scoop up before Evolve or someone else does.  Texas has a ton of guys that no one's ever heard of that would fill out their roster nicely.  Shane Taylor, Ray Rowe, Keith Lee, and Sammy Guevara all came from Texas.  There's a lot more where they came from. 

• Like 2

I think part of the problem is ROH relying on tryout seminars. They're waiting for talent to fall into their laps. As long as Delirious is head booker and head trainer, I don't have faith in anything changing. Sinclair seems to only care about having inexpensive programming to throw on any of their networks. ROH is also obviously content just being New Japan's AAA team.

https://www.rohwrestling.com/news/next-roh-tryout-camp-scheduled-december-2nd-and-3rd

5 hours ago, Cyanide said:

Not being privy to the interaction, I'd offer the caveats that he has to be diplomatic to some extent, and he might have been caught flat-footed and been a bit dismissive in the moment, and it might be a concern he's getting annoyed with having to field on a not-irregular basis with varying degrees of civility.  But it still seems like a profoundly dissatisfying response to a really shitty situation with regard to who ROH has gotten so far in bed with.

That's pretty spot on.  He might need to consider practicing these responses because I know I'm not the only one that's asked him about this.  I at least know I was civil as I could be about it.

Moving on, this was a pretty good show though I agree that outside of the international talent ROH is fucked.  But it was cool seeing LIJ and Kushida live, his match against Lethal was awesome.  I was in love with the Stardom team, they were just so damn awesome to watch and first chance I get I'm getting Stardom World.  King/Aries delivered (loved the leg sweeps and the "You killed Kenny!" chant) and Flip showed he can bring the intensity.  The tag title match was bonkers but man was the main event a cool down from that.   It was good though and I flipped my shit hearing Marty using the orchestral version of his theme (look up Dillon Spears on Youtube, he has some great shit)  And I love Dalton but it was clear the crowd wanted Marty to win.  And I feel bad that his title reign hasn't been as good as I hoped it would have been.  But the pride flag as par t of his entrance was awesome to see.  I found it interesting that after the show Cody shook Dalton's hand and helped him to the back.  Probably doesn't mean much of anything but I wonder if anything might come from that.

Spoiler

Jay Lethal defeated Dalton Castle, Cody, and Matt Taven to win the ROH world title for a second time. ROH has to go back to somebody established during Gabe's time because Delirious is incapable of building new stars. ROH will never be anything more than it is as long as Delirious is booking.

• Like 1

Got back from the show.   The last time I went to a TV tapings it was many years ago in Baltimore and it was pretty organized in what you assume is going to show.  I have no idea if that is the case now.  If it is then the 1st and 3rd week of tapings are going to be garbage and the 2nd and 4th week of tapings are must see.

First things first running this show at the old Patriot Center was a horrible idea.  They probably got about 1000 people and maybe more.  That building can easily hold 7000 and probably much more.  This building has had WWE house shows and UFC Fight Night's before.  About half of the arena was completely empty and everybody in GA sat on one side.   If you see most of the pictures from tonight from the general admission area, it is not going to be pretty.   Curious what the attendance for Best in the World was because if it was the relatively the same in a much smaller building then it is even dumber.   

On to the show

Spoiler

No idea what week the title change will appear.  I think the 2nd but don't know.  This was a great match as all four guys was awesome.  I have a feeling the big story from this is that Matt Taven should have won the match but the ref was distracted by Lethal being "injured".  Based on the match I would think Taven is next in line for title chances but on the 3rd or 4th taping, Austin Aries challenged Lethal to prove who really was the "Best in the World" as he is calling himself.   Aries bringing him his ring of Honor roots and how the company was dying until guys like Generation Next appears and save the company.  Not sure about that

It looks the Briscoes next feud is with SoCal Uncensored.   Not sure who is the heels because SoCal have been anti authority heels for the last 6 months and seems rather baby face like while the Briscoes who were heels most of this year had a matches against Beer City Bruiser and that other fat guy.  

Nick Aldis did appear at the TV tapings to promote his match with Cody at ALL IN.  The idea was that Cody has been losing a lot lately and Aldis isn't sure if he was worth it the title match and wanted to know what was in it for him.   It seemed like Cody put up his ring as "collateral"  so curious if he is actually going to put his wife on the line.  I mean most people believe Cody is winning anyway so why not.  Interesting that the Bullet Club to diffuse the situation and Marty Scurll left with Aldis.  

Chris Sabin is the #1 contender for TV title beating Silas Young

Marty Scurll did face Hurricane Helms and beat him with his usual villain ways.   Really good match I thought

The Stardom group of Oedo Tai is just awesome.  They are very attractive, they are really good in the ring and have great dickish personalities.  At one point in the tag match, one of them pulling a girl from the crowd to have her help double team Jenny Rose in the corner.  Can't remember ever seeing a heel use the fans that way.  Hope they are used more regularly

Definitely setting up Colt Cabana vs Bully Ray as Colt ended up having to be the 3rd man in a team of Cheeseburger and Josh Woods against Bully, Punishment Martinez, and Shane Taylor after bully took out Flip Gordon before the match.  

Madison Rayne is the #1 contender for the women's title

Main event of the last week of tapings was BUSHI, EVIL, and Sanada beating Young Bucks/Adam Page & SoCal Uncensored thanking to interference by the Briscoes.   This was just 9 guys going all of the place in a typical Bullet Club 6 man match.  No goofiness which makes the match so much better.  Probably 2nd best match on tapings.  Loved that Adam Page and Kazarian still hate each other's guts.  

Nothing spoiler-y, I had a lot of fun at the show. It was my first ROH event ever, I had heard horror stories about ROH tapings but I thought they kept it going at a decent clip as we got through four TV tapings, two dark matches, and an intermission in about five hours. The four way for the title (which I don't consider a spoiler since ROH has already tweeted about it and added the match to their website) was great and the main was an entertaining spotfest. Also I obviously enjoyed the Stardom wrestlers a lot, I was glad the crowd took to them.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 1:26 AM, GodzillaPerez said:

HEY NOW!

They added the second '02 show.

Maybe they will put my play-by-play stuff (which starts with Glory By Honor) up in December as a birthday present.

4 hours ago, DreamBroken said:
Taeler Hendrix saying she was sabotaged and taken off ROH TV for not sleeping with Jay Lethal
Spoiler

You have to imagine ROH knew something about this investigation/accusation, which makes their decision to put the belt on Lethal questionable, at best?

Spoilered because of unaired results.

3 hours ago, Peck said:
  Hide contents

You have to imagine ROH knew something about this investigation/accusation, which makes their decision to put the belt on Lethal questionable, at best?

Spoilered because of unaired results.

She's been out of the company for over a year, so I don't know that she was really on their minds this past week.

Besides, if she's telling the truth (and I can't imagine any benefit to her in lying) then they were complicit in it anyway. 

Fuck I hate hearing terrible things about people I enjoy watching.

"So... So... So... I don't want to say it's a bad thing or a good thing... Well... You know... It is a bad thing but..."

He was so bad at getting his point across on the CEO controversy even if what he's saying is mostly reasonable. 

This is what happens now that there's too many dudes at the wrestling shows now.  The wrestlers used to have groupies coming to the shows to sexually harass.  Now they got to do it with their coworkers.  Hendrix is smart I guess.  If Jay is really that way sleeping with him obviously did nothing for Scarlett Bordeaux's career so she wouldn't have benefited either.