DVDVR Message Board

2018 RING OF HONOR THREAD

The NJPW and Stardom contingents got me to hold my nose and give money to Sinclair for a ticket to next Friday's show at UMBC.  Briscoes/Bucks live should be wild as well.

• Like 3

I guess they have finally realized that Marty Scurll is a comedy wrestler as they have him doing stuff with of all people the Hurricane Shane Helms.  Which is so weird seeing him in ROH to begin with.   That is definitely a guy the fans would have completely shit over 10 years ago.

On 6/23/2018 at 10:27 AM, Cyanide said:

The NJPW and Stardom contingents got me to hold my nose and give money to Sinclair for a ticket to next Friday's show at UMBC.  Briscoes/Bucks live should be wild as well.

I feel rather dirty about it myself, but am going tomorrow as well.

• Like 1

Yeah that is how I would have felt about the Fairfax TV tapings but I am headed to NY that weekend so that is saving me from myself

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

I guess they have finally realized that Marty Scurll is a comedy wrestler as they have him doing stuff with of all people the Hurricane Shane Helms.  Which is so weird seeing him in ROH to begin with.   That is definitely a guy the fans would have completely shit over 10 years ago.

I don't think Helms would have been shit on by ROH crowds, of which I was part of during the glory days. I mean, there were gimmicks like Delirious, "Addicted to Love" Rhett Titus, Grizzly Redwood, etc. There's always been a place for comedy in ROH. It's not as if ROH was doing Vince McMahon's ideas of comedy. Those would rightfully be shit on. The Hurricane gimmick limited what Shane Helms did in the ring, but we know he can go. Marty does comedy well, but the Villain character has so much more potential than just a comedy character. The Villain character and plague doctor costume is main event heel quality stuff to me.

He was in the main event of the biggest attended show in Ring of Honor history at Wrestlemania weekend this year and that crowd had to do bullet club chants in order to stay awake.  Now you can blame ROH for having a ridiculously long show to begin with or blame Dalton Castle not being an effective champion or use the "well it wasn't really the main event" argument but so far in main events it didn't worked.

Although to be fair it is impossible for a Bullet Club member to get heel heat in Ring of Honor given how cult like that fan base is.  Unless you are doing it against a Bullet Club member 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, hammerva said:

On a local level, the Virginia show after the next PPV announced Kushida vs Jonathan Gresham.  Damn that should be great.

WHAT~??  HOW DID I MISS THIS~??

• Like 1

I absolutely blame Dalton Castle for not being an effective champion. For him, the chase was better than the reign. He probably should have dropped the belt already. To compare it to "classic ROH", it was all about the chase for Homicide, although nobody expected him to drop the belt to Morishima. I was there at the National Guard Armory and everyone's jaw was on the floor. I thought if Homicide was going to drop it so quickly, it would have been to Jimmy Rave in Manhattan the night before. The heat for Homicide dropping the belt in NYC would have been insane.

Otherwise, do we have to go back and blame Roddy Piper and Ric Flair for being such great heels they got cheered? If you want to get on "cool heels", then look no further than Hall, Nash, and Waltman making WCW look like the sqaures while the nWo looked cool at first.

• Like 2

Fwiw, Scurll has always been pretty blunt that he's a (or rather, the) villain, not a heel. It's an indulgent pastiche of mustache twirling tropes, with all the accompanying cackling laughter and broad physicality--you can cheer it, boo it, whatever. It's not my favorite thing outside the midcard and multiman tags, and I agree that it doesn't translate to main events (again, for me); but I think the lack of getting heel heat has more to do with "doesn't want to" rather than "can't do it".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

Fwiw, Scurll has always been pretty blunt that he's a (or rather, the) villain, not a heel. It's an indulgent pastiche of mustache twirling tropes, with all the accompanying cackling laughter and broad physicality--you can cheer it, boo it, whatever. It's not my favorite thing outside the midcard and multiman tags, and I agree that it doesn't translate to main events (again, for me); but I think the lack of getting heel heat has more to do with "doesn't want to" rather than "can't do it".

That's a really stupid gimmick, then.

• Like 1

Eh. It's got a credibility ceiling, and I'm not a big fan; but I think it's pretty clearly not stupid. Or at least, that he's not stupid in his execution of it, insofar as I think it's intentional, clever, and pretty obviously successful. (But I also... don't really care about face/heel binary. At all. So even if he's not messing with it in a way I particularly enjoy, I'm fine seeing someone doing it.)

I think the aesthetics of the gimmick are fan-fucking-tastic but his character work in the ring more than anything hits the upper midcard glass ceiling very hard. I don't think anything short  of another Young Bucks match would've succeeded after the too long show and following the 40 minute Cody/Omega spectacle.

I really like Castle but between his injury problems and being a babyface that isn't in the BC, he hasn't done enough as champion. I'm pretty sure one of Cody or Scurll wins the title tonight. I sometimes forget I plunked down the money for the whole year of that shitty ROH service, so I may as well watch this. I'll probably watch Kenny's CEO event while that's on though.

• Like 1

Has Matt Taven gotten his title shot after they canceled it back in May due to Dalton’s back?

If Dalton is wrestling hurt still, I think he should get the belt taken off of him. Honestly I think he won the belt 8 months prior to when he did at SuperCard against Daniels.

The problem to me with him dropping the belt at BITW is how predictable it would be.

We all know Cody is going to be champ sooner rather than later, on account of the angle with Aldis coming into All In.

Theres a Show in Nashville July 20th the night before the TV tapings in Atlanta. I’d run Castle vs Taven in Nashville with Taven going over. Then at TV set up Taven vs Cody at one of the Honor Re-United shows in the UK in August with Cody going over. 

Have Aldis at the UK shows and at August TV to set up the All In match

Been a solid show so far but the Stardom girls really have been the highlight once the ROH women got out of their way. I haven't been watching a lot of Stardom the past 6 months or so but Hana has really come along. She looked great in there with Mayu and it wasn't just Mayu either. She had the charisma and character work right out of the gate but now that she's putting the in-ring work together the sky is the limit. 

Good God, Hangman takes some gnarly bumps in big matches. That chokeslam into the guardrail/mostly the floor was gross. Interesting that Page is basically white meat in this feud.

• Like 1

Spoiler

That main event sounds like it left a lot to be desired. With the amount of run-in's and fuckery, it reads like a WCW main event for god sakes. Leaving the title on Castle also speaks of how few believable options there are that aren't New Japan guys or established vets like Austin Aries, Jay Lethal, The Briscoes, etc. Delirious is 100% to blame for his failure to build believable contenders.

spoilered for those that don't want to know the outcome of the main event yet

• Like 1

Uh, I switched the audio over to the CEOxNJPW event for the Golden Lovers/LIJ match and now the stream is cutting off part way through the main event. This service, between the streaming issues, non-existent search function, and only having the first '02 show up, can kiss my ass.

• Like 1

Live thoughts:

Spoiler

I haven't seen much of Scorpio Sky since the Aerial Express days and goddamn is he jacked. That's... just an observation, I guess. Dope to catch Gresham on the preshow.

Really fun seeing the LIJ contingent that wasn't in Florida. EVIL is a fantastic presence. Otherwise kind of a typical six man cluster.

Bully Ray. Colt Cabana. 2018. GET HYPE.

Odeo Tai is fucking awesome. Great seeing Mayu as well. Hana calling out Dashwood is maybe my favorite moment of the night.

I haven't cared about Aries at all since the Nakamura match, but holy shit Kenny King is the truth. He was on fire and totally sucked me into a match that was doing nothing for me.

Jay Lethal falls is in the Aries category of general ambivalence for me as well, but he had a great match with KUSHIDA. Really good chemistry, and I saw fucking KUSHIDA live.

Tag match predictably ruled. Seeing both teams live for the first time, and squaring off, was a wild experience. Definitely MOTN.

I ducked out as the main was kicking off because I was tired and don't watch BTE.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Uh, I switched the audio over to the CEOxNJPW event for the Golden Lovers/LIJ match and now the stream is cutting off part way through the main event. This service, between the streaming issues, non-existent search function, and only having the first '02 show up, can kiss my ass.

HEY NOW!

They added the second '02 show.

• Thanks 1

I'm not quite spoilering anything from the show, but for the sake of everything I'm going to spoiler tag my rant about ROH and Joe Koff.  Would appreciate if you read it, but if not that's okay.

I might post about the actual show tomorrow if there's anything worth mentioning that hasn't been mentioned yet.  But as long as I can help it this is the last dollar I give them.  I felt uneasy going in with the whole Sinclair thing, but as it was I would have gotten into things fine once it started.  Then I ran into Joe Koff.  I couldn't help myself, I had to ask if he's cool with the shit Sinclair does.  I would have thought considering he runs things he would have tried to distance himself from all that.  He could have not condoned it or done practically anything else to show that while Sinclair is scum that's not how he feels about it.  Instead he doubled down on the adage "If you don't like something you see change the channel."  He pretty much said it doesn't bother him with what they do and that it shouldn't affect how I view ROH.

I love and adore ROH, have been following it since its inception.  But his comments pretty much mean this is the end of the road for me.  The more I thought about it the more uneasy I felt being there and it made me literally sick to my stomach.  Thankfully a couple drinks calmed me down and I was mostly fine.  If the ratings don't matter after so much time for DVR viewings then I MIGHT check those out a week after they air.  And if there's something from a big show worth checking out I'm going through nefarious means.  Other than that thanks to him I'm done.  I don't wish ill on the people that work for ROH, but I hope karma hits those that needs a strong dose of that the most.  And at this point Joe's on the top of that list for me.  I know they needed Sinclair or they would have folded, but at this point I feel folding might have been the better option.  What good is being more successful if you have to sell your soul for it?

If you feel I'm overreacting I get it, for all I know I probably am.  But like Joe I'm doubling down on my stance and will be really ashamed of myself if I buy anything from them again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ace said:

WTF did you expect him to say, honestly?

Honestly, I don't have a great answer for that. But I would at least expect for a guy who mostly owns a company he would have at least tried to put some kind of a PR spin on it. He didn't, and if you want to give him credit for being honest then go for it. But considering these are pretty raw thoughts from a guy that just got home (at the time) I put down what I felt and probably will always feel.

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't blame you for being uncomfortable with their ties to Sinclair, but it's not like he started ranting about Benghazi and email servers.  In that situation, there aren't too many other ways he could have responded without potentially causing himself some problems.

• Like 2